Your Name-Like It Or Hate It?

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like your given first name?

• 5 months later...

I hated my name when I was a kid becuase it is so unusual and no one ever says it right. I now love it though. It's very pretty and unique. I looked it up online and there is only one me in the U.S. It was a gift from my mom because she wanted me to be special.

• 3 weeks later...

My parents tell me that I didn't like name when I was little (3 or 4 years old) because t was foreign and wasn't in any story books. I had a cunning solution though - I changed my name at play group. My parents only realised when they gt birthday party invitations to my made up name because I used my real name with my parents, other friends etc. - even the staff used my imaginary name.

Edited by Marie241

• 3 months later...

When I was a child I hated my first name but now as an adult I really like it and wouldn't ever consider changing it. It is not one of the most common Finnish female names, though it isn't particularly rare either. It's a shortened version of a common female name here and easy to pronounce for foreigners as well (maybe with the possible exception of the letter R, which is thrilled in Finnish). Sometimes people thought that it was only my nickname and especially during my school years people used to call me by wrong name all the time. Due to that, it still irks me when people systematically don't remember my name and either write it wrong or call me by a wrong name. Therefore, it is very easy to impress me: just remember my name right already at the first meet and I may totally fall in love with you :roll2:

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I like my first name. I haven't thought about it too much. When I was younger, though, I would write stories and I did want to change my name to something more unique, straightforward in pronunciation, and slightly tomboyish, since I thought tomboys got to have all the fun! I would change my name if I had a reason, but I don't. It also helps that I like the meaning of my name, "crowned with glory".

Actually, all of the women on Facebook who had the same first and last name at the time (a few of us have gotten married and change our names since) all friended each other on Facebook. People with my name are apparently quite friendly!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not too incredibly fond of my first name. If only because it was an attempt to press onto me a lifestyle I eventually grew to dislike considerably. My middle name followed the same route of forced themes. But at the least I share the same initials as one of my great great uncles or something along those lines, so I can simply focus on that aspect and ignore the whole "THIS IS HOW YOU WILL THINK FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE" bit.

Edited by Fate Blackwell

• 1 year later...

I hate my given name AND my middle name.

I share my given name with a famed retired Pittsburg Steeler wide receiver, and it's more or less "a girl's name".

And my middle name is a third- or fourth-generation family name that is now totally archaic. Think cold cuts and hot dogs.

AND my first and last names total seven letters. What I'd give to be John Smith or something common/easy!

I hated my first name for the vast majority of my life, and would insist on a short form, and then when I was just under eighteen all of a sudden I really loved it, and stopped liking the short form. I don't correct people about it now, because it's kind of a weird thing to change your mind about, but I enjoy introducing myself with my actual (first) name.

And I've also got one of those archaic middle names; fourth- or fifth- generation, I think. I don't really mind it though, since I don't have to tell anyone, and I got some laughs out of it when I was a kid so it works out.

I find names interesting because they're really pretty arbitrary, but it's so easy to attach emotions and meaning to them, feel embarrassed about them, empowered by them, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like mine. No one pronounces it right and I have actually had people argue with me about how it is pronounced. I want to smack them, I think I know my own name. lol I just answer to whatever they call and figure I won't see them very often so who cares.

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I have with being called 'Jody' is that everyone spells it -ie. It can be pretty irritating. Especially when you're trying to find your name on a bottle of Coke.

My surname is the thing I'm more fussed about. 'Lundy' isn't especially common, and not many people know what it relates to or where it originates. Kids in particular are curious.

• 6 months later...

I actually love my name a lot now.  I'm named after my grandfather (despite being a girl? lol Not sure how this came about) and I really like it.  When I moved to AZ I started going by my full first name, Victoria, instead of Vicky and I just feel so much more like me now.