Your Name-Like It Or Hate It?

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like your given first name?

Since I can remember, I have disliked my first name. It just sounds ugly to me and it really sounded awful when my parents were mad at me and used my first and middle name in succession. Quite honestly, the fact that my middle name is in honor of my Dad's dead sister (she died when she was two) kind of creeps me out.

At an early age, so I've been told, my grandma said I insisted on being called Lucy. I do NOT remember this. I DO remember loving the name Cissy and wanted to be called that. I had pseudo names in HS. My BF was Teri and I was Tami. And then I was Danielle (Dani) for awhile. I even worked in a telemarketing place for a short while where the phone reps used different names. I chose the name Katherine.

I don't have kids but always have in my mind what I would name them, being careful that it wouldn't be an easy name to make fun of. As a kid, I even bought a baby name book.

These days, I'm okay with my first name as long as it's my nickname. I am Sandra but don't you dare call me that. I'm Sandi to my friends. Even putting the i instead of the y helps a bit.

Imaworrywart or to my close DF friends, just Wart. :bathbubbles:

I don't mind it, I have definately come to like my first name more as I've gotten older.

My first name and last name together is quite long so i call myself a shortened version of my first name.

If I had to choose a name for myself, I probably wouldnt choose the one I have though.

I never liked my first name (Lol, very few people on DF know what it is either), come to think of it, I had a really embarrassing surname (Luckily that changes when you get married, so I no longer have that surname) as a kid as well, so I never liked my name. The only part of my name that I like is my middle name and that is Tracy.

But, I find my first name awful and no one can ever spell it right and it is the name that everyone calls me in real life...sigh.

I'm still not saying what my first name is. :wwww:

I never liked my first name (Lol, very few people on DF know what it is either), come to think of it, I had a really embarrassing surname (Luckily that changes when you get married, so I no longer have that surname) as a kid as well, so I never liked my name. The only part of my name that I like is my middle name and that is Tracy.

But, I find my first name awful and no one can ever spell it right and it is the name that everyone calls me in real life...sigh.

I'm still not saying what my first name is. :wwww:

I know it! I dreamed it! It's Gertrude! Tell me what it is if this is wrong! :smilingteeth:

I have always liked my first name and used my middle name with it. BUT when I was a little girl, no one would call me by my full name. I would tell my mother to tell my teacher every year. LoL I cannot remember those years when they called me by my first name! But why didn't I tell them? In fourth grade there were two other girls with my first name. My teacher used my full name! I often wonder how long I would have kept silent about this.

One year when I an adult, one of my sisters would not call me by my full name. Soon after she began to, she made me call her (for a full year) by her full first name, instead of the shortened version (example- Kimberley instead of Kim- not her name of course. LoL). She finally told me to stop and told me it sounded strange. Why had she asked me in the first place? Because I had insisted on my full name!

Oye, I have never liked my last name!! It rhymes with... nope. Not a clue to what it is! HA Like Trace! ;-) Seriously, kids can be cruel and then... I found out what it means in German. Negative connotations all over the place!!

What I am going to do one fine day is change my last name to my (my mother's mother) Grandmother's married name. It is the same name as my father's mother's maiden name, but a change of spelling.

Lol, I see, Nope, still not telling. :wwww:

Ah, you don't follow directions well. tee heee I am off to run some errands on NO sleep. Blah....:baaa: I laid in one position for TWO hours last night and NO sleep.

I am okay though. Just kind of blah!

• 2 weeks later...

I like my name. It can mean mighty or strong! My mom heard someone call my name out in the halls during school on day and decided that if she had a girl she would call her that. I was born on my great aunt Emma's birthday and mom almost named me after her but my grandma convinced her to stick with her origional choice! I always thought how I got my name and almost lost it was quirky and kinda cute :)

• 2 weeks later...

I dont like my name very much LOL It was the most popular girls name in the year that I was born so growing up there was ALWAYS other people with my name - i hated not being the only one :P I dont like it now its very plain but I tend to go by nicknames anyways it is what it is :laugh: I am going to name my children very unpopular names just because of the way I felt :wub:

I've got a first name WAY more associated with females than males.

So I'm forever getting "my sister's mail".

And whenever I get referred to a new business contact, it's 50/50 whether they say "oh, sure, have her call me!". Grrr.

And mailing lists, even things like publications that I've subscribed to for years are prone to making that mistake if I don't proactively give them "Mr." first.

AND, my first and last names comprise a total of seven letters. So I once in a while get mistaken for Chinese in people's expectations. Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with being Chinese, mind you. I just ain't. And I get tired of being prejudged.

In the grand scheme... not a whopping huge deal. Just wish it'd been a wee bit different, and obviously it hasn't been bad enough to prompt a legal name change.

Adios!

• 1 month later...

I hate my first name. It means 'dear little one'. I don't fancy being called 'dear little one' for the rest of my life. And nobody can get it right or even spell it right, it has so many variences. I changed my name to Morrosseth back in high school. My username DarkRain (or night rain) is the english translation of Morrosseth. Now to just make it legal.

Did you know that the most popular baby girl name nowadays is Isabella? And I think the most popular baby boy name is Jacob :boredsmiley: (guess why?)

• 2 weeks later...

I know a woman who named her son Tiger about 6 years ago. Not golf fans, totally random. My friends and I were just like "what the heck?!". Now the kid is old enough to question it and be mad and I think that's kinda funny :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My name is really popular all over the world in many forms and it's OK, but I'd like to be called Yana. My beloved grandfather's name was Jan (pronounced Yan, he was an angel!), that's why :)