Carb Cravings So Bad

Leaflet

Hey people,

As part of depression, I eat to feel better. But it only works with carbohydrates. If I try not to eat them the result is feeling depressed.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to get your "rush"?

Perhaps I could exercise instead and try to have healthy snacks at the ready in case hunger strikes. It's just that today, because I was hungry, I ate an entire big packet of crisps, a sandwich, 3 chocolates, an entire tube of fruit pastels, a can of rice pudding AND a tiramisu cake.

What is the solution to getting rid of these severe hunger pangs? They're almost uncontrollable, and at uni I munched most of my money. Ideally I'd like to loose weight, but the more I try, the more my stupid brain tries to rebel.

Are you currently taking any medication? When I was taking Remeron, I had seemingly uncontrollable carbohydrate bingeing. Now that I've stopped taking that med, the bingeing has stopped.

I became addicted to peanut M&Ms on my medication (seriously). I was on Effexor. I also noticed that when I tried not to eat sugar I had side effects, but when I dieted on Atkins, eating no carbs for a while, I was able to stop eating sweets with no problems.

Paper, I'm feeling you on this one. My doctor had to change one of my meds 3 times because one of the side effects was increase in appetite. He said I should practice eating more healthy and exercise. Well those were suggestions I already practiced before and after taking this particular med. While I was on it, I could not stop eating sweets and carbs even though I was exercising. He change the med a couple more times and know I have something that better fits me. Its funny because I know others who take this med and they don't have that problem.

Depression itself will cause you to eat or not eat. I suggest that you continue to follow through with your suggestions and hopefully it will help curb your appetite. I know it will help you lose weight. So good luck in your endeavors.

Lindahurt

One thing you should try is to closely pay attention when you think your hungry and determine if you really are, or are seeking relief or comfort from something. If your stomach is really gurgling because you are hungry, then its real. If not, you may be trying to feel better about something. Its easy to get into the habit of going for the sugar rush because it is relatively quick, but if you really pay attention, you may find its not really hunger you're feeling.

Having said that, I am a complete sugar addict, and have to be careful about it because I have been told my glucose numbers were kind of high. I'm not sure if it is related to Wellbutrin, or Prozac, or I'm just a sugar junkie.

Also, It's kind of normal to crave carbs in the fall and winter; old instincts die hard.

Steve.

One thing you should try is to closely pay attention when you think your hungry and determine if you really are, or are seeking relief or comfort from something. If your stomach is really gurgling because you are hungry, then its real. If not, you may be trying to feel better about something. Its easy to get into the habit of going for the sugar rush because it is relatively quick, but if you really pay attention, you may find its not really hunger you're feeling.

Having said that, I am a complete sugar addict, and have to be careful about it because I have been told my glucose numbers were kind of high. I'm not sure if it is related to Wellbutrin, or Prozac, or I'm just a sugar junkie.

Also, It's kind of normal to crave carbs in the fall and winter; old instincts die hard.

Steve.

hello, I just wanted to chime in with a total different direction from the previous posters, perhaps you suffer a medical condition of low blood sugar and when you eat alot of carbohydrates you feel better. My suggestion is to talk to your physician about this as perhaps this depression is an onslaught of a physical condition and not a mental one. Having low blood sugar would have sever side effects and perhaps depression is one of them. I see no reason why if established on a particular AD, you should not have a constant feeling of wellbeing and instead only have one after eating alot of carbohydrates. I think it is worth checking into! so Please ask your doctor about this as it could be another problem all together than depression.

Good Luck I wish you well...