Sign in to follow this  
Babyblue_eyes

What Positives Have You Gained From Having Depression?

Okay so, I've always been the type to look on the brighter side (ya maybe not so much with the severe depression lol), but I started thinking about the whys? Why do I have to go through this, along with everything else I've had to deal with?:sad: And then realizing I may not have that answer now....I starting to wonder if there's anything positive about having it? Or anything I've learned? I believe that if you put meaning to suffering it becomes that much easier to cope. Such as when you see a tv program about a parent who lost their child to an abductor. And of course they've suffered, and probably asked all those why questions. But then you see they now use their time to help others in the same situation- they teach awareness classes about child safety, they're lobbying for change at the goverment level in terms of harsher sentences for those who commit such crimes etc. They have attached some meaning to their suffering....and in doing so have been able to move on with their lives.:icon12:

Now even though I am still struggling with my worst depression episode yet, I still think there MUST be some good or something it's taught me. Some things I can think of:

I now value friendship, true genuine friendship.:hugs: As many so-called friends disappeared when they didn't know how to deal with me having the illness. I learned who really cared about me. And going forward, the friends I make in the future I will cherish and not ever take for granted. :flowers: And should a friend of mine become mentally ill, disabled, physically ill, terminally ill, or whatever....doesn't even matter...I would certainly be there for them in whatever capacity they need from me. I know what it is to feel frightened and alone- not very fun.

I learned that I was one of the people who unknowingly was prejudiced and believed a lot of the myths surrounding mental illness before I became depressed.:ohmy: My mom was very ill growing up, in hosp for depression most of my life and I really didn't understand how 'being sad' could be an illness. I was ignorant, and by no fault of my own, but nobody took the time to educate me. Today I will educate people when I hear them talking about depression or any other mental illness in an ignorant way. Rather then shying away from it, nodding and keeping my mouth closed I will tell them why they're wrong and they can then choose to look into it further or not. The only way stigma will end is if people start to educate others.:computer:

I've learned how to clean my house really really fast in the realization that, oh crap, someone's coming over and they're not gonna see it like this! LOL :blush:

When I have a good day, I take NOTHING for granted. The ability to get up, shower, go outside, exercise, be around people, function in general....I enjoy these everyday things that were once so mundane because once you've had it all taken away, the ability to function at a basic level or the ability to feel pleasure in anything....when you do again it means just that much more.:Coopbeach:

I think I've become more empathetic towards people in general....less likely to snap at someone at the checkout cause they're taking too long and Im in a rush....I almost see people differently, thinking wow who knows how many of them are struggling like hell in their own lives......it's just made me a lot, kinder, I think. Or if I see someone angry and yelling over something stupid.....I don't assume they're just complete jerks but rather think god, wonder how happy he is in his life...he could be miserable too. Who knows. I think it's made me less selfish and less likely to make assumptions in that way.

I've learned I have a strength I never knew, even though there have been times I've thought I just can't do it for one more minute...I press on. The sheer determination and courage it takes to deal with this illness, often with little support, often feeling weak, worthless, and unable to go on, shows just how strong we really are, every one.:biggrin:

I've learned to go outside without makeup on. :ohmy: O.M.G. I would never ever do that before! But being severely depressed I just didn't give a s***....and hey I survived! I just realized that I'm not totally ugly without makeup and when I get to feeling better I don't have to stress over making up my face for 20 min just to run to the store for milk! :laugh:

Please share your own!!! Id like to hear from others

In a moment of total honesty, I have to say that maybe I needed to be taken down a notch. Until I became ill I had a good life, lots of friends, I shopped, traveled, did what I wanted and maybe I kind of ran amok as a grown woman. It's possible that it's a good thing that I'm more introspective, I count blessings not in shopping conquests but in good days. I know who my friends are now for sure. And I think I've gone for "nice and funny" to truly kind. I hope.

"I've learned I have a strength I never knew, even though there have been times I've thought I just can't do it for one more minute...I press on. The sheer determination and courage it takes to deal with this illness, often with little support, often feeling weak, worthless, and unable to go on, shows just how strong we really are, every one."

I have learned this as well.

Great & inspirng post!

Yose

Peacock said something about being 'taken down a notch'

I have to say that I once had everything I *thought* I ever wanted - a great career, house, cars, money......and I took it all for granted. I regularly put myself before anyone else. I rarely took the time to think about who I was or what I was doing (deep introspection). I hurt a lot of people- not purposely, but due to being so wrapped up in my own world.... in terms of men and dating, I was a lot less careful with people's hearts, was selfish, and regret many things I did...so ya....i guess you could say I was running amok without concern for anyone but myself.

Today I know what it is to be humbled. After having lost everything, absolutely everything. And having to start over from scratch.

To have humility. To not take things or people for granted.

Thanks for sharing that Peacock

Thanks babyblue for understanding! i was a little wary of posting for fear of people thinking that I must have been unbearable before. But certainly the members of the "Taken Down A Notch Club" get it. You live your live to the maximum until...

I will add another thing that is a positive and maybe relates. The true friends that have seen me through (they're few) are now aware and informed about depression. They saw that if it cam out in me, then it could be there in anyone. So if they know, then they can make a few more people understanding and then those people... you get it.

Very nice thread!

I think my depression has made me more truly empathic. Also it can sort out my true friends for me - they are those who have stuck by me through my episodes. The ones who leave me are not true friends, I'm inclined to think.

I was just beginning my worst episode to date when I met my current boyfriend, and he stuck by me like a rock.

Deep academic knowldege in psychology and psychiatry :biglaugh:

^I have this too now.

Hi Babyblue_eyes

This is a great topic. I am one of those people that believes that there is a positive in even the worst things and depression has provided many positive things in my life.

It has made me realize that I have a lot of inner strength, I can overcome any problem and climb any mountain.

It made me learn who I was, it helped me reach self acceptance, self forgiveness and much more, but most of all (my depression was situational), it helped me meet my now husband.

If I had never gone through what I had, I never would have met him.

Trace

I will come back to this with a list when I am feeling better. When I was well previously I felt grateful to have suffered from depression as I felt I had been given a new insight and understanding. I also felt a lot stronger as a person.

However at the moment I can not see any of the benefits once you have crawled out of the dark as I am still very much in it!

Guest lucyvp

I think about this all the time. I call my depression my double-edged sword. I think that I have access to a greater depth of emotion than most people, the lows are lower and the highs are higher. This has fostered more creative attempts at expression. The hypervigilence I have about others' reactions to me has led to my being able to assess people quickly and accurately, which is something I use in my work. I also think that i too have more empathy towards others and less tolerance of injustice.

My depression has helped me to realize how bless I am. It has taught me to appreciate the good and the bad because there are lessons to be learn in everything. I've leaned to accept my reality and make the best of it. I've learned to be more patience and tolerate toward most people. Depression has brought me closer to family.

Lindahurt