Myers-Briggs Personality Types

Shuvee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, something general to note for everyone, INFJs and INFPs are both fairly rare, but are also the two most likely to be drawn to personality tests/personality classifications and also to be drawn to online forums. So, there is always a disproportionate number of them that appear in these things compared the actual number in the population.

I tested myself recently, since it's been several months, and I came out INFJ. I seem to cycle through the "Idealist" types, depending on what's going on in my life at the time. Your comment makes a lot of sense to me, as I really do love personality analysis and the like. Thanks for sharing!

Also, does anyone know why people can seem to be more than one type or they can change? For instance, I recently googled the Myers-Briggs types of Star Trek: The Next Generation characters, and the way they were typed varied from site to site. It doesn't seem consistent.

I'm ESFJ.

Is it possible to be extroverted but not act it? Because in reading the description of ESFJ, it said that we're very strongly influenced by our feelings, which I totally agree with. I feel all my emotions very heavily, and I take a lot of things very personally. I am very dependent on relationships, and attuned to others' needs and try to act in everyone's best interest, giving support and validation. That's extroversion, in a sense, I suppose. But I'm socially awkward, not one who seeks out friends or trusts people easily, and am often excluded. I just feel like extroversion equates to a contagious personality, which I don't have, but I really need human interaction in my everyday life to be happy.

Hey all!

@eternaloptimist - Typing other people is an art, not a science, so people will have different ideas of what types others may be. Also, the type criteria differs slightly depending on whose theories you are using (Myers-Briggs, Jung, Keirsey, etc) so that can cause a difference of opinion when trying to type others. Also, people's personalities can change due to life circumstances or age. Most people tend to get more introverted as they get older, for example, or going to university tends to make people more organized, which scores them higher on the "judging" category.

@sophielouise31 - Yes, that is absolutely possible! Many people misunderstand the definition of "extroverted" to mean social butterfly, when it is not. Extroverted and Introverted refers to what you use to refuel, so to speak. If you are feeling drained, do you tend to go seek out other people to help you feel better, or do you tend to retreat and want to be by yourself? Just by the phrase you used " I really need human interaction in my everyday life to be happy." makes me pretty certain you are an extrovert. Introverts would tend to say "I really need some time to alone every day to be happy."

Does that make sense?

@sophielouise31 - Yes, that is absolutely possible! Many people misunderstand the definition of "extroverted" to mean social butterfly, when it is not. Extroverted and Introverted refers to what you use to refuel, so to speak. If you are feeling drained, do you tend to go seek out other people to help you feel better, or do you tend to retreat and want to be by yourself? Just by the phrase you used " I really need human interaction in my everyday life to be happy." makes me pretty certain you are an extrovert. Introverts would tend to say "I really need some time to alone every day to be happy."

Does that make sense?

It does, unfortunately. Sometimes I think it would be easier if I was introverted, though. Less room to be disappointed...I've found that many of my friends are introverted, and find me unbearably clingy.

Does that make sense?

It does, unfortunately. Sometimes I think it would be easier if I was introverted, though. Less room to be disappointed...I've found that many of my friends are introverted, and find me unbearably clingy.

Sorry to hear that. I think learning to appreciate what we are is important, and I think being extroverted is just as awesome as being introverted. Have you talked to your friends about it? Maybe you can find a way to balance your need for companionship with their need for alone time.

Does that make sense?

Sorry to hear that. I think learning to appreciate what we are is important, and I think being extroverted is just as awesome as being introverted. Have you talked to your friends about it? Maybe you can find a way to balance your need for companionship with their need for alone time.

It's a very long story, but I slipped into depression, and it was continually getting worse until the end of February, when my friends kicked me out of the house, and I haven't spoken with them since. We've had many conversations before I left, and for some reason I could never say the right thing, or it felt like no one was compromising quite like I was, and I was tired of being used for how dependable I am and not appreciated. I told them I feared we were only friends because we've lived together for three years, and that they don't actually care, because they treat each other with more respect than they treat me. As much as they say they understand I'm going through something, and they don't want to lose this friendship...no one has tried to reach out to me or ask how I'm doing, or ask me to be a part of any of the fun they're having since they kicked me out.

But now it's like I've been searching for their forgiveness, but I haven't done anything unforgivable, and they owe me an apology if they really want to be my friends. I've told them what I need. I felt like a child, but I did. And they told me they couldn't be my cheerleaders. Like I said, it's a long story. Unfortunate, but, I'm realizing it's just who I am, and it's who they are, and it's not that I've done anything wrong, except finally stop trying to pretend I don't need the support of others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm. I just took it again and came out with ISFJ. (78% introvert.. no surprise there!). Gotta look more into this.. here are my results.

you have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)

• You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (12%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (44%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (11%)
Edited by sahdgirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am INFP.

http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

It is pretty accurate but there are some things that need clarification and context. For example, how it says that an INFP in conflict cares less about who is right and who is wrong and more about what they are feeling. And maybe that is true for me, but I make damn sure to never show it. If I'm angry while arguing I usually try to suppress the hell out of it because I have a silly idea that if the other person loses their composure first then I automatically win anyway.

I am too harsh on myself. I do dislike group work for lack of control and things not being at the standard I want. I am chill until someone steps over the wrong boundary, especially if someone hurts one of my friends then I have no restraint whatsoever in retaliating on behalf of people I love and care about.

And for some positives, I am a talented writer.

So it's mostly accurate but not quite. See, I don't like arguing, but I am good at it.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't know. How does one find out?

The "Brutally Honest Personality Test" is a really funny one.

I'm INTP, I've seen a few others here but not that many.

My scores were: I - 100%, N - 84%, T - 84%, P - 68%...

I can definately see myself in this personality type!

100%? Wow. I'm around 99%. High-Five!

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this, as I'm ultimately criticizing myself, but...

I was reading up on the difference between J and P and in particular INTJ and INTP and now I get it. INTP is the loser version of INTJ. That's what personalityjunkie says, it says INTJs are the ones who know exactly what they want to do for a career and become professors and such, whereas INTPs are those who can't decide on their field and want to do a bit of everything, and thus fail in their careers. They're also the ones who can't settle on their mate and can't get married until they're older. Personalityjunkie even linked to another site saying INTPs are the "laziest of all personality types" though there was a debate as to which was the laziest. That (and reading more about personality types) proves I can only be INTP and not INTJ.

Myers and Briggs themselves said that all personality types were all equal but "different gifts". Well I'm sorry to say, maybe it was true in their era but in today's era some types are not gifts but curses. If you're someone whose personality can't settle on a date until your 30s or later, well it's almost certain especially if you're a guy that you'll NEVER have a date. If you're someone who can't settle on a career, then by the time you're in your 40s and starting over again, the moment you enter the office all the 20-somethings will laugh at you and say "haha! I'm 20 years younger than you and have more experience than you." That is if you get hired in the first place. I'm not saying INTJ is ideal either - being I instead of E is a curse not a gift - but at least some will perceive you as the smart geeky guy. Maybe not many, since geeks are Es not Is these days. But it's better than being perceived as the lazy glutton which is what INTPs are seen as. I also think some of the IFs are stereotyped negatively by personalityjunkie.

I saw someone in their comments post they were an INTP but wished they could change themselves into an INTJ, for the sakes of their career I believe. Well personalityjunkie also says you can't change your personality, you're born with what you have. I'm not sure I agree with that, I think it's culturally dependent and dependent on the environment you're in, for example you're not going to be a "promoter" type who loves fashionable items if you're dirt poor. But it lends credence to the idea that I'm of a "loser" personality (though for sure I'm a worse loser than other INTPs) and that once born a failure, am always a failure. Also are personality types hereditary? I haven't seen any site mention that. But since INTPs and I's in general have a hard time attracting mates they, at least the males, are not going to have many kids, at least not "superlosers" like me, and thus I am going to breed my personality out of existance.

I bet I have offended a whole bunch of people with my post, but I want to say I'm NOT judging or thinking negatively of anyone else here with any personality type, I am just bashing myself.

"INTP is the loser version of INTJ". Very funny. AND graceful. Gee, you really are an INTP aren't you? Kidding. Anyway, yeah, we're screwed. I'm INTP/J by the way.

I am somewhat surprised by all the Es on here, but I guess I shouldn't be. This question was asked at a social anxiety forum. No surprise there; the meter blew up. I think there was ONE extrovert in the lot, but I guess that is to be expected for SA.