Sign in to follow this  
sixtimes

Getting Worse From Therapy?

Hi, I'm new here and looking for some advice. I have been going to therapy for two years now and feel like I have gotten worse and worse over the time that I have been in therapy. I have suffered from anxiety and depression (on a minor scale)for most of my life, but it never really interfered with my life. It exploded and I decided to see a therapist after I suffered a traumatic event.

I came to therapy to learn to cope with the traumatic event and move on. My therapist, however, began bringing up things that I never really thought about or saw as a problem. He began discussing with me why I don't have friends, or prefer to spend my weekends at home reading or why I don't want to a partner, etc...

Over time, I feel like this really hit me and I became obsessed with all that is not right with my life. While before I used to be content with life, aside from dealing with the trauma, now I worry and am depressed about it 24/7. I wake up in the middle of the night and can't eat. My whole day is consumed with worrying about how I have to make changes to my life.

My question is: Is this normal of therapy? Am I supposed to be feeling so much worse? Does it get worse before it gets better? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Hi,

I can identify with you. I remember after my first counseling session, I felt worse than I did before I entered. I felt as if we explored a lot of things I hadn't really given much thought to, which like you said 'was on my mind 24/7' for a bit of time. Although you probably hear this quite often, I found that with time, my anxiety lessened about the issues I had at the moment, and I was able to address one problem at a time. You are definitely not alone in feeling this way. It is normal to feel overwhelmed when a lot of issues are explored. I still think therapy is a good idea, and being honest is the best thing that you can do for yourself. You can state to your therapist what you are feeling at the moment, and you can take it from there. I hope that helps.

Take Care :).

Sixtimes:

I'm sorry you are having a difficult time in therapy. Often, therapy is just the right intervention to help with anxiety and depression. But for therapy to be a helpful intervention there must be a good match between therapist and client/patient. Also, anxiety and depression often is helped by insight therapy but just as important, maybe more important, is therapy that is not just about insight or the past but about behavior and thinking patterns,

Cognitive-Behavior Therapy can be very effective. I wonder if this is the kind of work your therapist is doing with you or if the therapist is using a more Freudian/insight approach.

Tim

My PDOC-Therapist is annoying me with the friends issues as well. I prefer to stay home reading a book as well, but he

Hi there sixtimes,

I can completely relate to this. I am five months into therapy and I still have times where it makes me feel worse. I do have other times where I feel much better though and think I am making progress.

It is a slow process and will not provide a quick fix.

I think you should give it some time, try and be patient, recognise why it is making you feel worse and discuss this with your therapist. I mentioned feeling worse to mine and she said it was perfectly normal.

Best of luck! x

I think the reason why they push at the social issue is because good social support makes a world of difference when you're trying to recover from mental illness and if it is something that can be improved on then it is definitely worth working on.

It is very normal to experience alot of discomfort before improvement. That's basically how you would treat anxiety, you have to keep exposing yourself to your fears so that you become desensitised to them and can deal with them head on rather than avoiding them and letting them get worse. Hang in there! :)

Also I think you should tell your therapist about your obsessing and worrying if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Edited by PageUp

I'm court-mandated to go to MY therapist, cheer up bud! Take this opportunity to let people help you make yourself into the person you want to be! Even if it means doing something like I'm doing right now, eating guacamole to lose weight. You can do it!

My question is: Is this normal of therapy? Am I supposed to be feeling so much worse? Does it get worse before it gets better? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

It definetely is. At least for me and my experience...

After almost two years of therapy I'm still feeling really bad, fragile, depressed and hurt a lot of times... but overall I'm improving. I'm feeling I am.

The fact is that if you throw yourself to the lions (AKA facing your inner demons and the people around you)... you're gonna get hurt, no matter what. But there's no other way out from this...

Sometimes I think the focus in therapy on the "negative" or "problematic" aspects of our personalities is not a good thing.

When I started therapy - 20 years ago! - I had some serious problems, but they were isolated to a few limited areas of my life. After years of therapy, even though those serious problems are less serious, I actually feel in general like I am a much more unhappy person.

For years I wanted to believe that the pain of therapy was actually necessary for healing - but now I am not so sure....