Sign in to follow this  
Princessrolo

Just Started Cymbalta - 60Mg

I have just started taking Cymbalta last night at 60mg. Over the last 18 months I have tried Citalopram at different dosages, then a Citalopram/Venlafaxine combo, then a 300mg bout of Venlafaxine and then Olanzipine added on top to ride out the mood swings. All with no luck!

I feel a little nausea and am a bit spaced out, but not in a bad way. I really hope this one works! After reading some posts on here it does seem like quite a good A/D so I am hopeful.

I think I am just a bit scared as I have tried 3 different meds so far without much luck, some minor improvements but nothing worth getting too excited about.

My last bout 6 years ago, I was put on Venlafaxine at 150mg and it worked like a treat. This particular bout has not been so easy. I think there is a little part of me that is really scared that I have become treatment resistant or something.

Just wanted to get that off my chest! x

:innocent:

Hi, I'm doing very well with Cymbalta 60mg (8 months on it). Most of the side effects ends in a week or two.

Good luck, I wish this med can help you too :)

Best regards

I think I am just a bit scared as I have tried 3 different meds so far without much luck, some minor improvements but nothing worth getting too excited about.

My last bout 6 years ago, I was put on Venlafaxine at 150mg and it worked like a treat. This particular bout has not been so easy. I think there is a little part of me that is really scared that I have become treatment resistant or something.

This is a normal fear, I often have that fear even though I've tried only 2 meds and seen noticeable improvement with both. Don't worry. There IS something that will help you. Venlafaxine helped you before, and there IS something out there that will help you again. Meds in the same class do have slightly different effects and so Cymbalta may do the trick for you this time.

:hearts:

Hello, just wanted to chime in that I am in the *exact* same situation as you. I had paxil wear off, and had to switch to a new AD. Citalophram gave me a rash, Then started Prozac, that gave me a rash, then I started cymbalta.

I am now like you on 60 mg and no rash. My psychiatrist said Cymbalta is an SSNRI and while you will still have initial start up side effects, I have *no* rash on this medication, pdoc said its suppose to be easier to tolerate!

Just so you know, there are *no* side-effect free start up AD's out there. Now that really would be the *wonder drug* if they developed one. I am surprised your doctor didnt start you at 30 mg for a week or two and then ease you into 60 mg.

I think this is better on a system to adapt to the medication, however, that process also prolongs the side effects rather than get them over with quicker so I guess both ways have their ups and downs.

I like cymbalta it works for me!

p.s. I would like to add, take it in the AM as its stimulating to me and this helps with insomnia. And you can also have some increased anxiety to begin with because all AD's are stimulating your happy hormones. Hope your doctor gave you some anti-anxiety medication to help you through any difficult times, if not you might ask him for a perscription because often they can help you sleep better also at night. I keep one on hand for emergency situations *and* I routinely take one at night to help with insomnia.

If you can hang in there, the insomnia *does* go away with time... remember it takes 6 to 8 weeks to fully adapt to an AD (which you probably know by now) and for me it takes even longer. Good Luck, I have nothing but good things to say about cymbalta so good luck.

also feel free to PM me if you wish to talk privately or have other questions, having been on an AD for years I have lots of experience with them and you are welcome to be a friend also...

Hi princessolo:

I think you are getting good feedback here. It is perfectly understandable that you are worried that you may be treatment resistant. But it is much more likely that it is a matter of finding the right medicine and dose for you this time around. Cymbalta brings a good response for many people (though it may take a little while). Plus, the start up side effects are enough to make any of us feel bad (on top of the already bad depression).

The side effects will diminish.

Take good care of yourself.

Tim

This is a scary disease, no doubt about it. I felt the same way after having a depressive relapse following a surgery gone bad. I thought I had been cured, as I had been on Effexor for about 8 years, and had been quite stable. Imagine my panic when it wasn't enough! I was afraid I might be doomed. My doc switched me from Effexor to Cymbalta, thinking it might be just enough different to re-start the engine, so to speak. He also had me on Seroquel, which was a pivotal change, because it interrupted the panic and uncontrolled anxiety. I transitioned from the Effexor to the Cymbalta with no problems. I only took the Seroquel for a couple of months, it made my mouth really dry, had weird dreams, and made it hard to wake up. And by that time, I had stabilized, and was ready to come off it.

The best anti depressant is the one that works for you. Please don't be discouraged, it takes some time and patience to find that right cocktail that works best for you. Once I started back on the road to recovery, I got better very quickly. I am doing much, much better. Normal, whatever that is, lol. There really is hope.

Jo

This is a scary disease, no doubt about it. I felt the same way after having a depressive relapse following a surgery gone bad. I thought I had been cured, as I had been on Effexor for about 8 years, and had been quite stable. Imagine my panic when it wasn't enough! I was afraid I might be doomed. My doc switched me from Effexor to Cymbalta, thinking it might be just enough different to re-start the engine, so to speak. He also had me on Seroquel, which was a pivotal change, because it interrupted the panic and uncontrolled anxiety. I transitioned from the Effexor to the Cymbalta with no problems. I only took the Seroquel for a couple of months, it made my mouth really dry, had weird dreams, and made it hard to wake up. And by that time, I had stabilized, and was ready to come off it.

The best anti depressant is the one that works for you. Please don't be discouraged, it takes some time and patience to find that right cocktail that works best for you. Once I started back on the road to recovery, I got better very quickly. I am doing much, much better. Normal, whatever that is, lol. There really is hope.

Jo

Thank you to all of you for your support. Eternalhope we seem to have a very similar story. I thought I had finally beaten the f**king evil thing! And then Venlafaxine pooped out on me after 4 years.

I am a week in on the Cymbalta now, and the side effects are okay but very unpredictable. Sometimes all I want to do is sleep, other times I feel so wired and cant sleep at all (Was awake for 36 hours at one point) a little nausea and quite a lot of dizziness.

The worst thing so far has been the increase in Depression, I have had some pretty nasty suicidal thoughts over the last few days, but I do not intend to act on them, they are just bothersome and upsetting. After feeling really down I then feel so 'fixed' and happy, like everything is working properly in my head again, and everything suddenly makes sense again.

My BF is quietly optimistic about these meds, we have both noticed the Cymbalta seems to be doing more than any of the other drugs did, good and bad.

I know all this stuff is normal with AD's (Worsening of depression specifically) but is it normal with Cymbalta?

Please, please, please let these work for me!!! I am not looking for a quick fix this time, and I plan to stay in therapy for a long time. I just need the drugs to help me reach some sort of level of coping.....*Fingers crossed*

The waiting game sucks....

Edited by Princessrolo

Hi Princess:

Yes, sometimes the depression will worsen early on with the anti-depressants. If it does worsen early on, it should go away fairly quickly.

Of course if it gets really bad, please call your doctor.

You are doing all the right things.

Tim

Hi Princess:

Yes, sometimes the depression will worsen early on with the anti-depressants. If it does worsen early on, it should go away fairly quickly.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I had an absolutely terrible day yesterday. The suicidal thoughts were getting really disturbing and graphic. I just felt so depressed. I just hope this is a sign that the meds will work. I know with AD's that they can make you feel worse before you feel better so I am hoping this is the case.

Hi Princess:

Tim

Thanks Tim, I had an absolutely terrible day yesterday. The suicidal thoughts were getting really disturbing and graphic. I just felt so depressed. I just hope this is a sign that the meds will work. I know with AD's that they can make you feel worse before you feel better so I am hoping this is the case.

It happend to me in all my four treatments I've had (1 year on setraline, 4 on Citalopram, 4 on Stablon and now almost a year on Cymbalta) a week should be enough to feel better. Good luck and have a nice day!

Hi Princess:

Tim

It happend to me in all my four treatments I've had (1 year on setraline, 4 on Citalopram, 4 on Stablon and now almost a year on Cymbalta) a week should be enough to feel better. Good luck and have a nice day!

A week??! That seems an awfully short time for it to start working, I thought it took at least 6-8? I must say though I am 2 weeks in now and I am feeling a bit better, moods have balanced and side effects have calmed down a lot. I hope it keeps doing what it is doing! x

I just started 60mg two days ago after a week of 30mg.

Anyone else getting really tired? Yesterday I took like 3 naps and today fell asleep a couple times watching football.

Feels like I cannot keep my eyes open, gonna be a problem when I go back to work Tues.

I just started 60mg two days ago after a week of 30mg.

Anyone else getting really tired? Yesterday I took like 3 naps and today fell asleep a couple times watching football.

Feels like I cannot keep my eyes open, gonna be a problem when I go back to work Tues.

Hi Timestamp,

Feeling sleepy and falling asleep has been a problem for me on these meds too. (Just under 3 weeks in now) I can sleep over 12 hours a night and I nap a lot too. Sometimes though I have also found it hard to sleep so over the last 3 weeks of taking it I have flitted between the two.

This should smooth out after a while hopefully. I was very sleepy on Venlafaxine when I took it a few years ago, but it eased off after a while and I was functioning normally. I hope it smooths out quickly for you so that you can go back to work with no problems. Good luck!