Sign in to follow this  
Monchichi

Help. Insomnia And Cymbalta

Looking for some advice. For me, Cymbalta has been pretty terrible starting up. 2 1/2 weeks on 30 mg and 2 weeks on 60 mg. I'm still feeling very jittery/shaky (like I had a couple cups of coffee), heart is racing, incredibly anxious, experiencing insomnia, my chronic dry eyes are much worse, and my mind is looping/obsessing/broken record type of thing. My GP gave me Cymbalta for depression/anxiety and I can't get into any psychiatrist in town until Dec 29. Did the insomnia go away for any of you?

At this point, the depression has lifted some, but these side effects are terrible for me right now, especially the insomnia. I want to give it a chance (hoping the side effects will go away), but I also don't want to be going through this for another month. How many more weeks should I give it? I'm wondering if maybe 60mg is too much for me --I tend to be pretty sensitive to meds. Thank you so much. I appreciate any feedback.

Looking for some advice. For me, Cymbalta has been pretty terrible starting up. 2 1/2 weeks on 30 mg and 2 weeks on 60 mg. I'm still feeling very jittery/shaky (like I had a couple cups of coffee), heart is racing, incredibly anxious, experiencing insomnia, my chronic dry eyes are much worse, and my mind is looping/obsessing/broken record type of thing. My GP gave me Cymbalta for depression/anxiety and I can't get into any psychiatrist in town until Dec 29. Did the insomnia go away for any of you?

At this point, the depression has lifted some, but these side effects are terrible for me right now, especially the insomnia. I want to give it a chance (hoping the side effects will go away), but I also don't want to be going through this for another month. How many more weeks should I give it? I'm wondering if maybe 60mg is too much for me --I tend to be pretty sensitive to meds. Thank you so much. I appreciate any feedback.

Hello, just wanted you to know that I too am on Cymbalta and currently at 60 mg (and a few weeks ahead of you) and I have some good information for you, though there is bad news also. I want to begin with the bad news. Obviously this is the first AD you have ever taken. *All* AD's have initial start up effects, the worst two you have hit the nail on the head i.e. insomnia , jittery and heart racing. This will happen with *any* AD you start using. The reason why is that an AD stimulates your happy hormones i.e. the ones that give you energy, make you feel energetic and positive. Because your brain is being stimulated, it just goes to follow that these side effects are going to exist, its the nature of the beast when starting an anti-depressant. These side effects *do* go away with time. Usually the first two weeks are the hardest, and while your doctor did good stepping you up slowly in dosage to prevent the effects from being really horrendous (some doctors dont even do that they just say here, take 60 mg and good luck...) still you plopped another 30 mg in there so in effect you have really only been on the prescribed dosage for *two* weeks.

Here's the kicker, third week at 60 mg you will start to feel some relief from the insomnia and jittery feeling, a good doctor usually prescribes an anti-anxiety medication to go along with an AD to help combat these effects, they help calm you down *and* go to sleep, in fact my psychiatrist even gave me a sleeping aid to go along with the AD as pdocs are well aware of the start up effects and now an anti-anxiety medication can help smooth you out so to speak.

So I would recommend you call your doctors nurse, say you need an anti-anxiety medication to help you get through the side effects of starting an AD. Also while the effects fade with each successive day, the other bad news is it can take 6 to 8 weeks at 60 mg before the side effects have completely gone away. Yeah, while they vanish slowly, its a long process for *your brain* to adapt to the increased happy hormones. And again, you would be experiencing this on any AD so *please* do not take it out on the Cymbalta. Cymbalta I have been told (rumors only but supposedly true) is actually one of the milder AD's to start taking.

I have taken some harsher ones before like prozac, paxil, and citalophram and trust me, cymbalta is not near as bad.

Do take it in the morning, a poll here on DF shows that 78% of people take theirs in the morning because it does cause insomnia and jittery/we call it anxious feelings. It makes no matter what time of day you take it as long as its consistent, if your doctor said PM, if you ask his nurse, I am sure he will reply AM is fine also. There is a small minority of people who say an AD makes them drowsy but this is not generally the case. After a full two months on the AD and I think it can even take a bit longer for some people, you should smooth out and have regular sleeping patterns and feel more calm, but it never hurts to have a supply of an anti-anxiety medication on hand if you hit a rough spot now and then. An AD helps keep you on an even keel, but sometimes stress can be so much, a little anti-anxiety medication can help get you through.

Please, I beg of you, keep on the medication and allow time for it to do its thing, nothing you have mentioned is in any way a side-effect that says to stop taking asap... You might read through the Cymbalta forum but dont forget that alot of people take to cymbalta just fine and dont come here and post having problems and just like your post do not be scared off trying Cymbalta. All of us here on DF wish there was a magic side-effect free AD, but sorry, there is not one to date.

I hope I have soothed your fears, remember the effects really start to diminish a bit on the *third* week at 60 mg and you are only at two weeks on 60 mg. That is the standard dosage for this particular AD... if at the two month point, you still feel overly stimulated and jittery, then talk to your doctor again as perhaps you might need a lower dosage, but really you are not on a very high dosage because there are people on 90 mg and a doctor can even go as high as 120mg to get a patient on the proper dosage, its all a matter of playing around with the dosage until you get it just right and 60 mg *is* the best place to start!

Feel free to PM (private message me) if you wish to know more, or how I am doing. I see my pdoc actually tomorrow and I think I might need a slightly higher level, or an additive, or he may want me to take it a while longer as I have not been on it for a full two months yet. Will have to see and let him make the decision.

Good Luck and please dont give up, you are on track and just need to allow time to mellow out.

Edited by BetterOff

Zugora:

What you are describing is fairly typical of my experience on Cymbalta (and I think many others). The jittery feeling most likely will go away entirely. The time period in which it goes away will vary from person to person. For some, Cymbalta's anti-depressant effect kicks in fairly quickly others it can take up to 12 weeks or so (ugh, that's a long time). There is often a connection between the initial side effects going away and the anti-depressant effects kicking in.

For most people, the 60 mg is the target dose. There is a certain, smaller part of the population that will respond to 30 mg and others that need more than 60 mg.

If the jittery feeling is lasting, you might want to call your doctor and describe what's going on Particularly if it is interfering with sleep. Some doctors will prescribe a short term of anti-anxiety medicine to help out.

Please keep us posted.

Tim

Hang in there! It will get better,but don't put up with the insomnia. It only makes everything worse. Your dr. should be able to give you Trazadone or a benzo for sleep and for times when you feel particularly jittery. Call him and ask for a sleep aid and don't let them just say get something over the counter. Be adamant that you have tried that and need something to calm your nerves and help with sleep.

Guest lucyvp

Hang in there! It will get better,but don't put up with the insomnia. It only makes everything worse. Your dr. should be able to give you Trazadone or a benzo for sleep and for times when you feel particularly jittery. Call him and ask for a sleep aid and don't let them just say get something over the counter. Be adamant that you have tried that and need something to calm your nerves and help with sleep.

thanks, you guys. I'm going through this right now with Cymbalta, but will hang in there.

Hi Lucy

Welcome to DF. welcomeani.gif I hope things settle down for you as far as the sleep goes. Many people find the insomnia aspect of Cymbalta disappears in a reasonable amount of time ( a week or two).

Tim

Guest lucyvp

Hi Lucy

Welcome to DF. welcomeani.gif I hope things settle down for you as far as the sleep goes. Many people find the insomnia aspect of Cymbalta disappears in a reasonable amount of time ( a week or two).

Tim

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

I'm wondering whether it would help with the insomnia if I took my dose in the morning, instead of in the evening, as I have been doing. Any thoughts?

Hi Lucy

Tim

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

I'm wondering whether it would help with the insomnia if I took my dose in the morning, instead of in the evening, as I have been doing. Any thoughts?

It is perfectly ok to switch times. If you are feeling jittery on it (as opposed to the extreme lethargy COUPLED with insomnia i had--yay) then taking it in the morning sounds like a good idea. I have heard some people take a Benadryl as an OTC sleep aid while on AD's.