Sign in to follow this  
Blane

Can Ssri Meds Dampen Feelings Of Pleasure

Does anyone else experience what I am with taking Celexa. I have always been one who has lots of hobbies, and activities, but since I have been on SSRI's I seem not to enjoy things like I used too. I still do them, but I dont have the good feelings that I use to experience while doing them, or get excited about the anticipation of doing them, this is even with sex. Im not sure if its the depression, or if it is the meds. What is your experience, what do you think? Please respond

Hi Blane:

How long have you been on the Celexa? I do think others have shared what you are saying about the dampening of feelings of pleasure. I wonder if it depends on how long one has been on the medicine.

Because for many, the SSRI's have the effect of not dampening emotions but making the world almost shiny and new.

So, if you haven't been on the Celexa that long, part of me wonders if some of the dampening effect will go away.

It is worth talking with your doctor about.

Tim

Hi Blane,

I agree with Tim. I am on the same medication and I feel really well and I certainly do get a great deal of pleasure from activities and life.

It may be that you have recently started your meds? or the meds are not fully effective at the current dose?

Do see you Doctor and explain how you are feeling.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Been on the med now for over 6 months, and an added Abilify, becuase I was always so tired. I just have the swing of sometimes feeling good and then the times when I notice Im not enjoying the things like I used to and it bothers me...

Hi Blane,

I agree with Tim. I am on the same medication and I feel really well and I certainly do get a great deal of pleasure from activities and life.

It may be that you have recently started your meds? or the meds are not fully effective at the current dose?

Do see you Doctor and explain how you are feeling.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

I experience that at times as well. I take Effexor and it is also used for chronic pain sufferers. I would think that if it can dampen the sensations of pain, then it can dampen other feelings as well. Cymbalta is listed for chronic pain also and I don't know about the other AD.

Does anyone else experience what I am with taking Celexa. I have always been one who has lots of hobbies, and activities, but since I have been on SSRI's I seem not to enjoy things like I used too. I still do them, but I dont have the good feelings that I use to experience while doing them, or get excited about the anticipation of doing them, this is even with sex. Im not sure if its the depression, or if it is the meds. What is your experience, what do you think? Please respond

Yes, afraid so.

It can make you feel like a zombie at times.

Not feeling bad, but just not feeling!

and for me, it was the worst.

That was the reason I quit SSRI types. I tried 3 SSRIs.