Sign in to follow this  
littleblackduck

Animals and depression

Animals & Depression  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find a pet eases depression?

• Yes definitely
    • No, Not really
  2. 2. What kind of pet do you have? (more than one? just check your favorite then)

• None
    • Bird
    • Dog
    • Cat
    • Snake or reptile
    • Fish
    • Other livestock(cow, horse, sheep, etc)
    • Pet Rock
    • Ferret
    • Something not listed -- put it in the reply ;)
  3. 3. How many pets do you have? (of any types)

• None
    • 3-5
    • 6-10
    • 10+
    • Don't call animal control on me (too many!)

I love my dog! She makes me laugh out loud almost every day. :bump:

And when I'm sad she just gets in my lap :hearts:

Even when I don't feel like doing anything for myself, I know I have to take care of her. Getting out and walking her helps when I'm down too.

It's amazing how many people you meet when you're walking the dog too :shocked:

KA

Edited by KeepingAwake

My pets seem intuitive too. My Springer is nearby and watching or playful or can't keep out from under my feet depending on the ques he gets from me...

now the fish?...the fish don't seem to give a dam.

I have two big male cats that seems to understand everything I say. They weigh 17lbs. apiece. I guess if I don't watch it, they'll have a short lifespan, according to the vet.

They say pets become part of your family. Well, these monster cats are the love of all of our lives! :bump: Too bad they can't talk. I think they'd have plenty to say! :hearts: I know that when I'm down, I have to move as they are very demanding. If they want something, they wrap their atles around your legs or will lie right in front of you until they are satisified. When the doorbell rings, one of them lets out a growl or a short bark! :shocked: Kind of a warning system, lol!

Jackie :shocked:

"Do you find a pet eases depression?"

i found this one difficult. i decided "yes" ... as my cat has eased my depression before... caring, purring, knowing when i'm really down ...and sometimes giving me a reason to live ... but ... nowadays i also find it difficult...when i feel unable to do anything, and anxiety is so high, it can feel scary to me to have to care for a pet. and my cat so old by now, i know she won't live very long anymore. that often makes me feel more sad and helpless, more depressed.

had there been a third choice in the vote, like "both", i'd have voted that.

I have three kitties, all so cute! Two male cats, one is black and white (looks like he is wearing a suit) and one is grey and white. The first one has seven toes on each of his front feet. So cute!! Both of them are very cuddly. I don't know if they can tell I am sad, they just kind of stare at me funny, but they still comfort me! The third is a female, mostly grey with a little white spot on her chest and little white toes. She's big and fluffy :) and seems more in tune to how I am feeling. She also seems like she always guards me which is great. They all get along very well too. Thank goodness for that!

My dog is very good at listening to me, never interrupts me, never yells at me, never tells me"just snap out of it" He greets me at the door whenever I get home, loves to go on walks with me and loves to go to McDonalds drive thru.

I've got two cats and they can be quite demanding which doesn't leave much time for depression so thats a help. And they are two of the strangest cats I've ever known - always doing weird things to make me laugh.

The house is so quiet without them. Thankfully thats only happened once as they are indoor cats (they both got the snip at the same time). Sometimes I wish they were outdoor cats when their demanding nature reaches a peak but I'd be lost without them even if it was only for a few minutes.

They are like my babies - and if I can't stop them from climbing the curtains and scratching the wallpaper they will be the closest thing to babies in this house.

And when I'm really down they seem to sense it and calm right down, sleep next to me in bed and generally just keep me company which is all I really want.

Rach'

I have had animals around me all my life and I honeslty can't imagine not having a pet of some kind in the house...I think it would be neat to have a bunny in the house, but I'm allergic to them!

I'm also allergic to dogs and cats, but I've developed a nice immunity to them over the years, and they pose no problem for me anymore.

My cat would always know when I was depressed, and spend a lot of time curled up on my knee. Before she died :hearts:

Well we have one bird (very elderly now its mate has passed on)

we have one cat

and I have three sighthounds

all are rescues - when our first family dog died I said I could never have another dog as I could never go through that loss again

them my father died about six months later (a year after our first dog died) I had this need to again share my life with a dog

well I was really looking for a small/meduim scruffy all purpose dog - UMMMM I ended up with a smooth coated beautiful brindle saluki girly

then about 6 months later we decided she needed a friend - so along came out beautiful big black male ex racing greyhound

then I heard of another dog in rescue that was hard to place - oh she was beautiful enough and would easily find a home BUT she was untrained and had been used for lamping (a form of hunting) and needed a firm hand and someone who knew the breed (she is a saluki collie cross)

so she came to me in a very very bad state- she came to me two days after the death of my mother and she spent as much time as possible laying on me she KNEW something was not right -

I love all my babies of course I do but it has taken me two years to really bond with the that one - not her fault - she might have needed us but it was the wrong time for me

she has been very time consuming and very difficult to train - BUT she does love me to bits - bless her and that does make up for a lot - but after two years I now have a wonderfully well trained loving companion

so I am really lucky as I have three dogs each of whom came into my life for a reason and an exferal cat whose mother abondonded her at four weeks so needed hand feeding and she need us - she loves us too but she is not quite so keen on the dogs

Guest I am Cat

Hey duck! We have three dogs, five birds, two fish, and a guinea pig... don't call animal control! :bump:

oh yeah... :shocked: and a duck! :shocked:

*sits by the duck*

:hearts:

My wife has a cat which loves me... I don't feel the same way about it. He often wants to sit on me and I don't like that. I voted "No" to this survey.

Although, he does make me laugh sometimes because he eats the strangest things you wouldn't expect a cat to like such as vegetables, dried fruit, nuts, mushrooms, pumpkin seeds... the list goes on! I can't believe my wife's cat LOVES vegetables! Dinner time is never safe at our place.

Neatoboy

Dear Broad Members,

I have two domestic short-haired cats, (1) The male is all black, he is 8 months old and his name is Billy Bob. (2) The female is all white w/ a black little hindu mark on her forehead, she is 1 1/2 years old and her name is Wisp.

I also have two ferretts male and female, both spyed and neuterd and descented. The female name is Houdini, and the male name is Brute.

I also have 3 corey catfish, 1 yellow fish, 1 goldfish in a 29 gallon tank, and then 1 betta in a smaller tank cause he is aggressive toward the goldfish.

I am also thinking of getting a dog in the next couple of years to add to my family.

My cats have helped me more with depresstion, more then my friends and family, they just know that something is not right with their mother, and they come over and nozzle me to make me feel better. I willn't trade that for anything.

Your broad member.

HB

Hey duck! We have three dogs, five birds, two fish, and a guinea pig... don't call animal control! :bump:

oh yeah... :shocked: and a duck! :shocked:

*sits by the duck*

:shifty: *sits by the cat* I like the sounds ducks make.

I don't think I could ever get a pet. My family had a poodle back when I was younger and it got pancreancitus (if thats how you spell it?). It was stumbling and falling so my parent took it to the vet. I was at home and they came back and told me he will be there overnight. I was really worked up about it. Well the next day I got word that they had to put it down and I needed to come right away to see him one last time.

I really did not want to go. I wanted to see him but I knew they were putting him down and I don't know why but I really didn't want to go. I went, and I was in the room, he was lying on his side, couldnt move at all. His eyes were trying to look up at me, and he was shivering with his head. I looked out the window the whole time because I couldn't look at him.

We were heading out to leave and I gave him one last pet, and as I was walking down the hallway I was telling myself don't look back. Sure enough I did, and that image of seeing the dog lying on a cold metal table, as they closed the door is burned into my memory so well I can draw it.

I went home and waited for a phone call that he was really ok, and they found a way to fix him up, but I knew it would never come.

The next christmas my mom brought home a new dog and I was so unhappy with her doing that. All I could think about is that here's another dog thats going to die before I do so I am left with the pain to endure.

That mentality has just stuck with me, I will never own a pet.

Hey all.

Ive been thinking a bit about animals and depression lately...i dont know whether ive completely gone mad or whether anyone else had noticed the same or similar things.

Do your pets act a bit strange when your feeling more down than usual? My stepdads cat who doesnt usually like peoples company seems to hang around me like a bad smell! I dont know whether he can pick up the way im feeling or not but its like he wants to be there for me...so im not alone i guess.

Sounds weird i know...anyone else had a similar experience?

My dogs ALL know when I am slipping

in fact even if I dont realise it their behaviour makes me look at myself carefully

Saffie who is very aloof (salukis are) never gives kisses but does when I start to slip she just comes up and kisses the back of my hand

My Greyhound is very very different when we are out far more aware of who what is around - more protetive of me

and my baby girl well she just stays as close to me as she can and wont even let me walk around the house without being close to me

and my cat well my cat just spends more time on the bed (not usual for her at all) purring in my ear :)

My dog knows as well when it's a bad time for me. She gets very clingy and has to be in my lap or sleeping right up against me. Our pets do know when something is not quite right with us. On the flip side, whenever I laugh, she gets all excited and her tail is wagging furiously! :hearts:

KA

now your talking,my dogs well what can i say,but i love them,i had my first dog about 14years ago it was a yorkshire terrier,i named her suzie,she was everything to me,and although i have had other dogs since and loved them all,suzie was special she was my pet,my dog,my friend,and when she died in my arms i felt i had died as well.I have another yorkshire terrier again now,his name is Gnasher and he is rather insecure and anxious,but i reasure him that he will be ok,and it seems to help me when i am feeling down as well.I also have just puchased a PUG he is 12 weeks,and he is wonderful i called him Winston,he is at my side now,so is my yorkie Gnasher.Both my dogs even as young as they both are,know when things are not right with me,give me animals anyday they love you for who you are,they dont judge you,lie to you,or hurt you,and they listen.

tenderlady :hearts:

We have cats, and they are so smart. They know when we're not well, and are always there for comfort and comic relief. My husband was ill with the flu one time, and I came home from work to see him in bed, surrounded by cats. :hearts: They were protecting him, and made it a point to actually get along with each other while he was sick! :bump: