Shorter Days = More Depression

Steveab63

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to mention that since the days are getting shorter, and there is less sunlight, you may be feeling more depressed. If you are not familiar with this, look up Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD for short. I actually moved from New England to Florida because I couldn't handle 6 months of gray skies up there. I have noticed in the past 2 weeks that I have been feeling more depressed, and I attribute it to the amount of daylight. If you've been feeling like hibernating until spring, you may get some relief by getting a broad spectrum light and staying near it for a while each day. There are also "light boxes" that you can purchase for this purpose. So, don't assume that you're suddenly slipping into a deeper depression for no apparent reason, it may just be the amount of light you get each day. Don't despair, Spring is coming!

Steve.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to mention that since the days are getting shorter, and there is less sunlight, you may be feeling more depressed. If you are not familiar with this, look up Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD for short. I actually moved from New England to Florida because I couldn't handle 6 months of gray skies up there. I have noticed in the past 2 weeks that I have been feeling more depressed, and I attribute it to the amount of daylight. If you've been feeling like hibernating until spring, you may get some relief by getting a broad spectrum light and staying near it for a while each day. There are also "light boxes" that you can purchase for this purpose. So, don't assume that you're suddenly slipping into a deeper depression for no apparent reason, it may just be the amount of light you get each day. Don't despair, Spring is coming!

Steve.

Steve, good point, and I might like to add my own personal theory of why I hate daylight savings time, because its in our genes that at nightime, its a time to relax, be calm after a day of hunting for food and working to make clothes and shoes and other things necessary for life at our very beginnings of cavemen days. By adding an extra hour of light to our summer days, we are in effect depriving ourself of the darkness and thus the down time where we can de-stress... I thought this comment/theory would tie into your post nicely, its not good to mess with mother nature!

So I think daylight savings time adds stress to a persons system with *too much* light and not enough down time!

I definitely had SAD for the 3 years I lived in North Dakota. I didn't understand it at the time and attributed it to just not liking winter or the cold, or slogging my way through the deep powdery wet snow. I had no idea about SAD at the time so I'm glad you pointed this out and all the good suggestions from everyone. I will NEVER live in Iceland Violet although you make it sound very romantic!

Hi Kate,

I can deal with it probably because I was raised between Iceland, Spain and France and have lived in many different countries besides Iceland. It used to bother me a lot - but only when I was depressed. Growing up in Iceland where you know you get two hours of sunlight during dead of winter makes you value the sun and brightness more.

I remember most vividly my Mom and my Grandmothers knocking on my door every 21. of December to tell me with a smile: "Today was the shortest day of the year - from now on the days will get longer."

Edited by Violet31

You know what I think its kinda amusing is that I use to be a real nightowl. I loved the night and the dark. I guess it was more like 'cause I could have me time etc.

Depression has kinda thrown an odd take on daylight hours now. Recently I've been much keener on daylight hours and not so keen on night time.

At the mo tho not much difference as I'm going through "a not feeling that peachy" phase. Hopefully it'll pass soon!

Hi everyone,

Steve.

Thanks for sharing Steveb63. I hate when daylight savings time comes. Before 6:15 pm comes in my area, its night and I don't won't to get out and do anything. Of course, I have to anyway but it is a struggle. I too find that I have to readjust and its very difficult sometimes. Looking forward to the spring now.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt

Hi there, I have just accepted today that I am depressed again. AH!! And it is more than a coincidence that the dark evenings have arrived. I find the winters difficult. I have had depression since my mid twenties (now 58) and despite this have led a great full life, interspersed with black months every few years. Therapy and medication made those months just about livable. ButI still hate and fear this horrible depression. Had a really bad bout last Jan-March. I did not expect a return so quickly. Thank God for this forum. Best wishes to you all out there.

And a hug. Brid

Hi there, I have just accepted today that I am depressed again. AH!! And it is more than a coincidence that the dark evenings have arrived. I find the winters difficult. I have had depression since my mid twenties (now 58) and despite this have led a great full life, interspersed with black months every few years. Therapy and medication made those months just about livable. ButI still hate and fear this horrible depression. Had a really bad bout last Jan-March. I did not expect a return so quickly. Thank God for this forum. Best wishes to you all out there.

And a hug. Brid

Hello, just wanted to chime back in that *if* we were to continue daylights savings time in the USA why in the world dont they do it during the winter! Yes, I would love to have more light in the winter, but on the reverse side of the coin, I *hate* too much light in the summer! I mean, who can relax and go to sleep when its 10:30 pm and just getting dark outside, I think its nuts. I need some downtime and its when its peak summertime and still light outside, I have my windows blocked in bedroom just so I can sleep at night else I still get light in my bedroom!

so I am for a daylight savings time, but in winter and *do* agree that light is stimulating, but also feel that you can get too much light also by extending it in peak summertime months. (hope that makes sense!)

• 6 months later...

I remember most vividly my Mom and my Grandmothers knocking on my door every 21. of December to tell me with a smile: "Today was the shortest day of the year - from now on the days will get longer."

!! I remember as a kid my dad always getting excited when it was the shortest day of the year, as he said the days would be getting longer after that.

I was just browsing here for SAD as winter has started in the southern hemisphere and I can't stand it. Actually, it's been gloomy for over a month already. Last year we never got a spring really, just 6+ months of gloom, then a cooler and shorter than usual summer.

I can't stand it . I don't think we would have light boxes here as compared to the northern hemisphere we do get a lot of light. It's just me, I suppose. I need to go hibernate now. :sleep_1:

:burn:

I'm pretty sure I don't have SAD and where I live, I highly doubt anyone suffers from here. I'm always lived in tropical and subtropical places... I would love to live in a cold place for a change.

I heard about the light boxes. They seem to be helpful.