Are People With Depression

Steveab63

Hi Steveab63,

This is an interesting perspective on depression. Most people want to and try to live a happy , joyful and active lifestyle , that is the natural drive we are born with and out body chemistry constantly stimulates up to think that way. ( happy hormones/neurotransmitters)

When something come along , usually an event like a major illness, incident, life event, we worry, ruminate, procrastinate and get stressed. After a while our body responds causing a depletion of the chemicals that keep up happy, so we fall into depression and we get sucked into this cyclical way of negative or black and white/distorted thinking.

So people who are depressed come from all types, even the very harpy people have suffered life changing events and landed up with depression as a consequence of the way they have dealt with it. It may have been so overwhelming that it sucked out their normal happy responses.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

I've wondered when I see things on depression forums if I'm just extremely sensitive because I know EXACTLY what you mean. I think about EVERYTHING. For me it isn't a major life event, so I can't relate to that JimBow. My whole life I have overthought everything as has my brother. He doesn't struggle with depression but we both struggle with very elusive happiness. I think for me the difference is these days that I used to feel bad in situations where I felt slighted and now feeling bad can send me into a major tailspin and it didn't used to. I've been sensitive my whole life and only truly depressed on and off for 2. I've ALWAYS let everything get to me, but it didn't used to cause me to go "I'm stupid, worthless,no one likes me" to the level that it does now. I can have an awesome day all day long and then ONE stupid thing can send me into that. Yesterday it was feeling like I was the last one to be considered for an evening with friends. I was totally the afterthought and it hurt more than it should.

If it helps answer your question, I'm generally regerded by pals and family as about as deep as a mud puddle. But I think that's because I appear upbeat and can be a bit scatter-brained. I agree with the posts above me. Anybody with any illness is going to think it through, often. But "deep" is a hard label to apply to a large group of people. Just my 2 cents :)

I think people with depression aren't necessarily deep, but I think deep people may be more prone to depression. I myself have always been a deep thinker, and a bit of a philosophizer. I was able to be so without being depressed before, but when depressed, I do think it might make things worse. I'm so aware now of so many thoughts and worries that I never felt before the depression, including existential thoughts, what happiness is, and things of that nature. Overanalyzing and ruminating are hallmarks of deep people, and those same characteristics are present in the depressed (usually)

Hi Steveab63,

This is an interesting perspective on depression. Most people want to and try to live a happy , joyful and active lifestyle , that is the natural drive we are born with and out body chemistry constantly stimulates up to think that way. ( happy hormones/neurotransmitters)

When something come along , usually an event like a major illness, incident, life event, we worry, ruminate, procrastinate and get stressed. After a while our body responds causing a depletion of the chemicals that keep up happy, so we fall into depression and we get sucked into this cyclical way of negative or black and white/distorted thinking.

So people who are depressed come from all types, even the very harpy people have suffered life changing events and landed up with depression as a consequence of the way they have dealt with it. It may have been so overwhelming that it sucked out their normal happy responses.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Love your response Jimbow.