I Dont Understand

I never have understood yet, WHY it is that all Doctors and therapist think if you talk about your misery and what has happened in your past, that you will have some kind of miracle recovery and ALL your problems will go away? If you had to walk across hot coals once...would you want to walk across them evertime you went to the doctor for help to heal them? Exactly HOW does that help heal you? All it does is keep the memory FRESH so you can be sure to NEVER forget it.....HOW DOES THAT HELP??????

I never have understood yet, WHY it is that all Doctors and therapist think if you talk about your misery and what has happened in your past, that you will have some kind of miracle recovery and ALL your problems will go away? If you had to walk across hot coals once...would you want to walk across them evertime you went to the doctor for help to heal them? Exactly HOW does that help heal you? All it does is keep the memory FRESH so you can be sure to NEVER forget it.....HOW DOES THAT HELP??????

Hello, I can tell you that therapy has helped *me*. The deal is, there are issues that medication can take care of like say obsessing about things, lifting your spirits, stop your dwelling, correct a chemical imbalance in your brain, but there are issues that meds cant handle. Alot of people are in denial over issues that therapy brings to light. I had this happen to me, as I was leaving my Therapist he said next time we will talk about your self esteem, at which point I shot back, I have no problems with my self esteem. I noticed his eyebrows raise like "what?" I noticed that expression and on the way home I thought it over that "why did I say that?" because as I mulled it over I realized that yes, I did have self-esteem problems. So we talked about it the next time around. So yes, therapy does dig down and help you realize you have issues, and then a good therapist will help you help yourself to overcome those issues.

Its just one example, but I always feel good about myself after talking to my therapist, he boosts my ego and makes me feel good about myself. Thats how therapy helps.

Unresolved issues follow you around for life. You can practice denial, and get pretty good at forgetting your past, (I've tried it) but it eventually slaps you in the face and it's back again. That may be why some depression comes and goes, depending on how buried or near the surface the issues are at any given time. I know you'd probably prefer a couple of root canals without Novacaine, but the dredging up of the past is a necessary evil. I tried to hide my grief after my father died: "Big boys don't cry".... I was an ***** believing that nonsense. A year later I cried my eyes out for quite a while, and felt the best I'd felt for a long time. I went through a lot of therapy regarding my mother's mental illness during my childhood. Lot of "Aha" "That's why......" happened there. Likewise, you need to work through issues, whatever they are.

I know it hurts, but you have plenty of people who understand here, and we don't mind if you cry on our shoulders.

Keep in touch and best wishes.

Steve

Locked_Inside_Myself,

I think the right approach to tackling depression varies depending on the individual. For some, meds alone might work. For some, therapy might not be very helpful. I tend to think, though, that people with traumatic past events probably do benefit from therapy. It helps you figure out where your issues come from, and knowing the source of something is the first step to eliminating it. You sort of have to relive it in your memory again, and confront the issue and the way it's made you feel, in order to resolve the problem. Once you've faced it, you can move on. You can let yourself experience what's been suppressed and bottled up. After the exhaustive healing process, you've truly evolved.

For what it's worth, I still haven't found the right therapist yet. I think that there are certain approaches to therapy that work for certain individuals, and it might take time to find the person that is truly helpful. Sometimes I despair of it myself, but at the same time, I know what my issues are, and I can't figure out how to resolve them myself. Ergo, I need someone with expertise to help me.

Edited by AngelOfTheMoor

I think they need to understand what the problems are. You know, they don't. Things you keep hidden are probably the reasons for your misery and sharing them is the first step to recovery.

Therepy needs you to open up and wipe the slate clean and start again. It's getting rid of the past and looking forward to the future.

No one is here to judge you, it's to come to terms with what has happened and to start again.

The clean start is what many people want and it's possible.