Sign in to follow this  
Monchichi

Can Cymbalta Cause Heart To Race?

Hello-

I'm on my second day of Cymbalta and it feels like my heart is pounding out of my chest. At first I thought it was just anxiety, but even after taking Xanax, it doesn't go away. I tend to be sensitive to medication and have had this before with other types of medication. I just don't know whether to continue with Cymbalta. Is this a common "initial" side effect? I hope it goes away...it's pretty unbearable right now (on top of the depression). Thanks for your help.

Hi zugora ,

Yes ADs can cause palpitations and it may feel uncomfortable.

I recommend that you see you Doctor as soon as possible just to check that you are not too sensitive to Cymbalta, and it always pays to be on the safe side.

If you get really concerned you can always go to ER (A&E in the UK) and get a Doctor to check you out.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Hello, I started with cymbalta and I noticed an increase in my heart rate, it was initital side effects though and slowly went away over time. I wish I knew how much you were started on, 30 mg, 60 mg? To me its easier to start low and then add in a higher dosage after a week, it give you more time to adjust. I started 30 mg, moved to 45 and now today started 60 mg... If doc started you on 60 mg, yeah I could see heart palpitations and high heart rate jump up. Like Jim Bow said, its normal to start and I found it faded day by date, but if concerned call and ask your doctor. If you started on 30 mg it might not have been so bad but if doctor started at 60 mg I could see where this would happen.

If you get time, I would like to know what mg you got started with.... good luck and dont panic, if you have an anti-anxiety medication or can relax through music or laying down that would help...

Hello, I started with cymbalta and I noticed an increase in my heart rate, it was initital side effects though and slowly went away over time. I wish I knew how much you were started on, 30 mg, 60 mg? To me its easier to start low and then add in a higher dosage after a week, it give you more time to adjust. I started 30 mg, moved to 45 and now today started 60 mg... If doc started you on 60 mg, yeah I could see heart palpitations and high heart rate jump up. Like Jim Bow said, its normal to start and I found it faded day by date, but if concerned call and ask your doctor. If you started on 30 mg it might not have been so bad but if doctor started at 60 mg I could see where this would happen.

If you get time, I would like to know what mg you got started with.... good luck and dont panic, if you have an anti-anxiety medication or can relax through music or laying down that would help...

Thanks for the replies, Jim Bow and BetterOff. I am on Day 2 of 30mg. Yesterday I as a zombie (tired all day) and last night and today, I feel my heart racing, difficulty sleeping, very unsettling feeling. I hope it is something that will subside.... thanks.

Hi Zugora:

I'm sorry that you are experiencing the heart racing side effect with Cymbalta. For me it was more noticeable at start up (on 30 mg) than later. I've been on it for about 12 weeks and notice it only occasionally know.

If it keeps up over the next few days, it is worth a call to your doctor.

Keep us posted.

Best,

Tim

Thanks, BetterOff, I hope it is just initial side effects. It's extremely uncomfortable. Btw, how long was it for you before the heart racing went away. I'm trying to stick it out and hang in there... thanks!

Zugora:

For me, the regular feeling of heart racing went away in about two weeks. I sometimes still get it at night.

Do you know of the relaxation response (as described by Herbert Benson). It is like many other meditation techniques and it lowers heart rate and blood pressure. It has pretty good Harvard Med School data behind it. Anyway, you might try that for relaxing.

Keep your doc informed about the heart rate.

Tim

I experience this in the early start-up phase when taking Cymbalta, but it did decrease over about the course of 6 weeks, and I think you should expect it too. I would certainly advise your Dr. if it doesn't seem to let up.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

It's been about 3 months since starting Cymbalta via my psych (not a PCP). 30 mg caused me to have heart palpitations, so we cut it down to 20 mg. After having more depression, the psych upped to 30 mg but a week later, my heart was having palps every morning. Then faint feeling. I'm back down to 20 mg. I just can't tolerate it. She introduced me to a test called, "GeneRightRx" where they swabbed my cheeks. It will determine what the best medicine will be for me to take. Get results next week. Has anyone else heard of this test? If not, I think it should be mainstream. The Mayo Clinic endorses it.

In menopause which is not helping any of this! Taking bio-identical hormones in addition.

I'll be interested to know the results of your test and I've not heard of the "GeneRightRx", although it almost sounds too good to be true! Hope it gives you them a good direction as to what meds. to take next.

I started on 30 mg of Cymbalta but it caused me to have a racing heart which did not go away after two weeks. Psych dropped it to 20 mg and I did better, but when I started getting more depressed, the psych upped it back to 30 mg. I started having more anxiety, depression AND rapid heartbeat along with Tachycardia in the mornings. Saw PCP to determine what was happening and they only saw the one bout of it in a 24 hour period. Right now we are waiting on the results of a GeneRightRX test to see what anti-depressant would be better. I'm very frustrated!!! The depression and anxiety have lifted some with prayer, counseling, reading, talking, etc. I was on anti-depressants for years after my Dad passed away. I think I stopped learning to cope with problems. The meds just masked the feelings. Scary stuff... Sick of feeling this way. On bio-identical hormones as well (Progesterone & Triest cream). Any comments would be helpful! I want to feel 'normal' again.

I experience this in the early start-up phase when taking Cymbalta, but it did decrease over about the course of 6 weeks, and I think you should expect it too. I would certainly advise your Dr. if it doesn't seem to let up.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Yes the tachycardia did stop after 2-3 weeks of starting and increasing the dosage..

Good luck folks!

I called my psych again today. My BP is up and I was very dizzy and faint. This has to be changed!!! I need feedback... anyone else go through this? Scary! I also tend to obsess on things I shouldn't!

I experienced these same side effects, and took my BP a couple of times a day in the beginning just to see what times of day were better, how long it lasted, etc. I recorded it and gave the information to my Dr. I was dizzy and lightheaded, but never faint. If it's having this serious of an effect, you may want to talk to your Dr. about a change.

Hello-

I'm on my second day of Cymbalta and it feels like my heart is pounding out of my chest. At first I thought it was just anxiety, but even after taking Xanax, it doesn't go away. I tend to be sensitive to medication and have had this before with other types of medication. I just don't know whether to continue with Cymbalta. Is this a common "initial" side effect? I hope it goes away...it's pretty unbearable right now (on top of the depression). Thanks for your help.

ADs can definitely cause this. I have this anyway, arrhythmia, due to mitral valve prolapse. So I often can't really tell if it's normal for me or the meds. It seems to come out of the blue in unordinary ways at times, so I'm guessing some of mine are from the cymbalta. If your heart races and doesn't stop, call your dr or pharmacist.

Hello, It is my second day on cymbalta. I also take wellbutrin. I am not exactly feeling an increased heart rate, but i am jumping out of my skin! I can't get comfortable. I tossed and turned All night and today I just want to be distracted yet I don't want to exercise to relieve this increased energy. Will this go away?

Yes, Cymbalta caused rapid pulse rate in me. It started gradually and for the past few months I have often experienced heart palpitations with pulse rate plateauing at 110 per minute . I use Cymbalta to replace Celexa primarily for nerve pain and secondarily for depression. It works well except it also gives me some insomnia. My doctor put me on a betablocker to slow the heart down and took me off Avalide, a blood pressure medication with a diuretic in it. Now my pulse rate is around 85 and blood pressure near normal. My recent lab results showed that my body sodium was low as Cymbalta also causes low blood sodium especially when combined with a diuretic. That is why I discontiued Avalide.

For those people who get relief from Cymbalta but experience fast heart beat, a betablocker added to the therapy may be an answer.

I got off Cymbalta! Horrible drug for me. Now on Viibryd and not sure it's right either. SO frustrated and full of anxiety.

No heart palps yet for me - just started it but am I ever TIRED. ALL I want to do is SLEEP! If this doesn't improve in the next few days I will have to stop the med as I can't return to work like this.

Phoenix1,

It is a common side effect to have fatigue in the start up stages, although I agree, very annoying, and at times disabling when trying to work. Because I had insomnia at night, I'd get tired during the day, and would have to get up and walk around frequently and drank more coffee (not the best thing, but it was temporary), and eventually the insominia cleared. Have you considered taking it at night instead of during the day (if that's your routine)?

Of course, some time has passed since this post, so maybe all has changed, but hope it's working out for you.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I am still dealing with the nausea/spacey/heart palpitations/chills/hot flashes/sleep disturbances and fatigue - the cost is also an issue and I do have insurance. As much as I wanted this med to work it just isn't..the side effects, for me, are as limiting as the depression and anxiety. I am trying to find something else.

I have been on Cymbalta now for 6 weeks and STILL have the heart pounds. One moment I can be fine then all the sudden Boomm Boom, and my neck turns red then from there out I feel it threw out the day. when I first take it in the morning I feel fine for at least 2 hrs then wham it hits, if it wasnt for the pounds, I feel Great on this. this is the only one that hasnt made me feel like I need to throw up also.. knowing that others are going threw the same help, butt Im on my way to the DRs. now for a ck & will give a update.