Sign in to follow this  
Monchichi

Would Like To Try To Conceive

Hello-

I'm realizing now that anxiety (and anxiety that leads to depression) has been a big part of my life for a long time. I suppose I was in denial about this. Recently, I have reached a VERY low point with some health issues, not finding a job (thank goodness for my husband's job), hormonal issues since going off birth control, and the frustration of prolonging trying to start a family due to all of this. It has been the worst depression I have ever felt.

I'm at the point where I think I need to be on ADs all the time now. I have only been them when things got really bad, then soon got off after 6 months or sooner. The problem is, I'm so torn/frustrated about this decision because my husband I would like to start a family. But, I 'm so miserably right now, I couldn't even handle being pregnant or being a mom. I'm almost 34, have PCOS, and feel like my child-bearing years are almost up. Conception can difficult with PCOS, and I just feel like my window of opportunity is going away.

Any thought or suggestions? I guess I just needed someone to talk to...thanks.

Hello-

I'm realizing now that anxiety (and anxiety that leads to depression) has been a big part of my life for a long time. I suppose I was in denial about this. Recently, I have reached a VERY low point with some health issues, not finding a job (thank goodness for my husband's job), hormonal issues since going off birth control, and the frustration of prolonging trying to start a family due to all of this. It has been the worst depression I have ever felt.

I'm at the point where I think I need to be on ADs all the time now. I have only been them when things got really bad, then soon got off after 6 months or sooner. The problem is, I'm so torn/frustrated about this decision because my husband I would like to start a family. But, I 'm so miserably right now, I couldn't even handle being pregnant or being a mom. I'm almost 34, have PCOS, and feel like my child-bearing years are almost up. Conception can difficult with PCOS, and I just feel like my window of opportunity is going away.

Any thought or suggestions? I guess I just needed someone to talk to...thanks.

Actually, and please dont hold me to this, but anxiety is usually a symptom of depression and not the other way around. It masks the depression, signs of depression are increased anxiety, consistantly down bad thoughts, lack of self esteem and increased nervousness, lack of energy and everything seems in a bad light. You need to see a doctor and ask about if you might have clinical depression. It runs in the family and is often genetic. Its simply a lack of production of happy hormones in your brain. I dont think being on an anti-depressant is bad for conceiving but ask your doctor, or perhaps someone else will come on and be able to answer your question with more professional knowledge than I. But if you do have clinical depression, it will probably just keep reoccuring every time you stop its use. Its nothing to be ashamed of, I got a double dose of bad genes from both mom and dads side of family. I know I am a lifer, Its no big deal its a physical illness just like diabetes. If you were diagnosed with diabetes would you keep tryin to phase off medicine? Answer is NO. its the same with those of us with clinical depression. Please note I am not saying you have clinical depression thats why you need to see a professional, they can diagnose you, prescribe a medication and tell you if its harmful to conveiving or the child. I do not have any expertise in this, sorry! Maybe some others will come on with better advice than I...

Good Luck and please see your doctor and make a list of all the questions you want to ask before hand so you can check them off as you talk to your doctor, including all the symptoms you are experiencing. It really helps the doctor make a better evaluation and diagnosis... and keep us posted how it goes...

I stayed of Effexor XR the whole time I was pg with my son. I could not be without an AD and was advised by my dr. that it was ok to take while pg. Effexor is not reccommended for pg now, but my son was fine. There are many AD that can be used during pg and breastfeeding and your psychiatrist would know best as to which ones those are. I think once your depression/anxiety is under control you will feel much more likely to want to have a child. It is important to be in the best shape mentally before a pg., but don't worry that you can never have a child due to being on AD.

Zugora, I think that there are some anti-depressants that people can take during pregnancy, but unfortunately I cannot remember which ones they are. I think that they do exist, though. You should probably ask your doctor about the issue, most likely a psychiatrist, as a pdoc should have expertise on the issue.

You can absolutely have a child while on an AD. Zoloft, Prozac, and Wellbutrin are generally considered good and safe options. There are some people on Lexapro while pregnant, too.

I would caution you, however, to try to conceive without at least getting your anxiety/depression under control. I'm currently pregnant without having it under control and it is one of the hardest things I've ever gone through. Every day is a struggle - pregnancy only magnifies all of the stress.

Hi Zugora,

There are many options for you in terms of ADs that are safe during pregnancy. Lots of women remain on an ADs while pregnant! In the meanwhile, I suggest the book Origins- How the Nine Months before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives by Annie Murphy Paul. The positive environment you create for your unborn child is much preferable to the sad, anxious or depressed environment you might have without ADs, does that make sense?

I think that once you take this head on, and really wrestle it to the ground, (rawrrr like a Mama Tiger!) you will find that inner strength to get on a safe-for-pregnancy-AD and go make yourself a baby (with your hubby's help, of course :) )

We're pulling for ya. Take care, and keep us posted, ok?

--DB