Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys and gals,

I feel so depressed at the moment. I just feel life is going no where, I don't see myself alive in 5 years. What's the point? I feel so lonely, but I have loads of friends. They just don't get me, or maybe I have the problem.

Does anyone else feel his way? I don't know where else to turn.

Dave

Agreed. I have many friends too, yet, any tiny thing makes me feel rejected. Ugh. You're not alone, bud. Even though you feel like you are? Curious, that is.

Same here. I have some really close friends that have always been there for me and a very supportive husband. I still have moments where I just feel so alone though. And if one of my friends doesn't text or call, I feel kind of lost until they do. It is strange to be sitting with a group of my friends and still feel lonely.

Feeling lonely is one of my most debilitating problems. Even when I am around people I feel lonely, like I am outside of a bubble the rest of the world is in.

I actually just had a kind of bad night with this, my husband got a little frustrated with me and it was hard to not take it really personally and think that he really doesn't understand. He snapped that if I didn't want to be anxious than I just shouldn't be. I felt pretty alone after that even though he's normally so supportive.

Hi and Welcome to DF Dave

You are certainly not alone in feeling this way. You are among others that do understand exactly how you feel here.

Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

There are loads of really supportive people here. Although it's not great to feel depressed like this all the time, it's good to here that there are other people who understand what it's like.

Love you all

i just think it's crazy how there are all these people online with these problems, but when im out in the world, especially the weekends, people look like they don't have a care in the world, and i'm the only person with a problem. where are all of these people who are like me?

We are generally in our bedrooms, our houses, or hidden away somewhere. It's the simpletons that go out without a care in the world

i just think it's crazy how there are all these people online with these problems, but when im out in the world, especially the weekends, people look like they don't have a care in the world, and i'm the only person with a problem. where are all of these people who are like me?

even the happiest looking person can be depressed, the care free look is just a front but whats underneath is far from care free. you'd be suprised how many people actually do this

a mask hiding the underlying sadness, a mask I believe makes things worse

even the happiest looking person can be depressed, the care free look is just a front but whats underneath is far from care free. you'd be suprised how many people actually do this

It's taken me considerable time in my life, but I think I eventually found the source of "loneliness." As you have said, it is rather peculiar that a person can feel "alone" even when they are surrounded by friends, so it seems evident that loneliness does not come from a physical source. Instead, it appears to come from a mental or emotional source. As you have said, you feel that they misunderstand you, perhaps you also feel that they do not relate to you, maybe you do not trust them, or feel comfortable sharing all of your thoughts and feelings with them (for whatever reason). The inability to share your thoughts and feelings with others, I believe, is the source of "loneliness." It is not that you are alone, in the physical sense of the word, but "alone" in the mental and emotional sense of the word.

Where is everyone from? Just how diverse is depression?

Hi dappydave85

Depression knows no boundaries and is all over the world. DF has members from all over the world. The US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, India, Lebanon, Israel, Iceland, South America all over Europe as well as many other countries and I am from South Africa.

Trace

Hmm strange, perhaps there is some higher force behind it, like a collective conciousness of man. The loniless could then be what, caused by some form of disconnection from the universe? Or from being ejected from the system?

Hi Dappydave85,

These people are all around. You just don't always see it. People from all walks of life suffer with depression. Teachers, lawyers, doctors, and so on. Depression also varies in severity. Someone can be depressed and you not know it. I'm able to function fairly well when my depression is light. Everyone think I'm just fine because I'm able to mask the depression until it progresses. When it is severe, I isolate from everyone because I don't want anyone to be burden with me even though they want to support me. So don't be fool. They are everywhere.

Hi Dappydave85,

These people are all around. You just don't always see it. People from all walks of life suffer with depression. Teachers, lawyers, doctors, and so on. Depression also varies in severity. Someone can be depressed and you not know it. I'm able to function fairly well when my depression is light. Everyone think I'm just fine because I'm able to mask the depression until it progresses. When it is severe, I isolate from everyone because I don't want anyone to be burden with me even though they want to support me. So don't be fool. They are everywhere.

I suppose you are right. Most depression though seems to loss driven, grievance. Depression of the ego. (Loss of job, or spouse, is both of the ego).

Feeling lonely is one of my most debilitating problems. Even when I am around people I feel lonely, like I am outside of a bubble the rest of the world is in.

I feel similar- like I'm a captive audience watching a long, long movie.

Yeah I get that so much. Like most people are just characters in a movie, persons. I see of lot of emptines in people, but a full soul on some (mostly other depressed people)

I feel similar- like I'm a captive audience watching a long, long movie.

Oh man. I know what you mean. I feel like if I confide my overwhelming numbness and inability to be happy to my friends, then they will reject me or trivialize my feelings. Sometimes they confirm my fears, but more often they just hold me and talk to me. I feel like a spoiled brat, but sometimes I still feel alone, and when they leave it's just the same as before. Sometimes, even if they stay with me, I can't even register the pleasure of their hugs and their touch, which is the scariest feeling in the world. Today was the worst. I was walking through campus this morning and again tonight, crying my eyes out, because I couldn't think of ANYTHING that would make me happy. People passing by didn't even look up, didn't even care, even though I was having all these suicidal thoughts. Nobody even acknowledged my existence, let alone smiled or looked concerned. My thoughts, "they wouldn't really even care if I was dead". I feel like such a selfish spoiled brat. I don't even know why I'm posting this. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm always lonely. I get where you're coming from. You are not alone in your loneliness. I'm not happy at that, but I feel less alone now.

Hi, I am new here, and just having a nosey around, but I so just get everything that has been said here. I often think about all the normal people, doing normal things, being happy, and god, doesnt that just make you feel such a faliure? Why I am not like them? For some people I have discoverd that it seems like everything is always 'ok' for them - nothing is ever particulry really great, but then nothing is ever particulary bad either. I think to myself - would that be better, than being the way I am?? When I am good, I am ****** fantastic - top of the world, but when things are not, its like I am going to die through sheer emotional pain. So whats it to be - just ok?? or ups and downs?? To be ok all the time must be nice, but then are they ever as happy as I am, when I am??

I totally get about being lonly when surrounded by people, I think that its the fact that I dont think that they 'get' me, or will 'understand' me, so that makes me feel different and alienated and alone I suppose.

The only thing that will make me happy is for the ssuffering and destruction to cease in thw world and we live together, forever as one peaceful race.

Oh man. I know what you mean. I feel like if I confide my overwhelming numbness and inability to be happy to my friends, then they will reject me or trivialize my feelings. Sometimes they confirm my fears, but more often they just hold me and talk to me. I feel like a spoiled brat, but sometimes I still feel alone, and when they leave it's just the same as before. Sometimes, even if they stay with me, I can't even register the pleasure of their hugs and their touch, which is the scariest feeling in the world. Today was the worst. I was walking through campus this morning and again tonight, crying my eyes out, because I couldn't think of ANYTHING that would make me happy. People passing by didn't even look up, didn't even care, even though I was having all these suicidal thoughts. Nobody even acknowledged my existence, let alone smiled or looked concerned. My thoughts, "they wouldn't really even care if I was dead". I feel like such a selfish spoiled brat. I don't even know why I'm posting this. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm always lonely. I get where you're coming from. You are not alone in your loneliness. I'm not happy at that, but I feel less alone now.