Sign in to follow this  
Yosemite

Weekend Blues

Can anyone relate to worsening depression over the week-ends?

I seem to be able to hold it together mood-wise from Mon-Fri as I hold a responsible work position. The frantic pace and busyness diverts my attention away from my depression and feel quite up-beat most of the time.

But come Sat/Sun I just crash into a heap, totally isolating myself from the world, and sleeping more to escape the pain..I have lost much contact with friends and don't feel social at all. It takes super human strength to even get to the shops.

Weekends are supposed to be fun, but I barely stuggle to survive and dread them.

Any advice/similar stories appreciated.

Hey Yosemite, welcome to DF =)

I can relate!! Weekdays are quite easier for me than weekends, I totally can recognize the reason, it is simply seeing many people going out on weekends and seeing them happy and full of life, while I am depressed and sad most of the time!

While during weekdays, most people are busy with school and/or work so!

So how do I cope on weekends ? I try to "act" like "the so called regular" people, yes even though deep down inside I am not happy, I just try to go out and have some fun!

r90

Hey Yosemite, welcome to DF =)

I can relate!! Weekdays are quite easier for me than weekends, I totally can recognize the reason, it is simply seeing many people going out on weekends and seeing them happy and full of life, while I am depressed and sad most of the time!

While during weekdays, most people are busy with school and/or work so!

So how do I cope on weekends ? I try to "act" like "the so called regular" people, yes even though deep down inside I am not happy, I just try to go out and have some fun!

r90

Hello, just wanted to say Hi and chime in... I too am a weekday person and kinda hate weekends. But I tend to hate weekends because all of the hustle and bustle of people around. Too many people overwhelm me, so perhaps a nice drive in the country would be nice! It gets you out and away so to speak from the crowds. It also keeps your mind occupied. Also you might see a doctor about this, being depressed could be clinical in nature and you wont recognize this while you are busy and occupied at work as you mind is not free to dwell on things that make you sad. You may need a little help to boost those happy hormones, anti-depressants also give you more energy, stop you from obsessing about bad things, make you feel more up mentally and able to cope with the busy hustle and bustle of a weekend. Oh and thats also why alot of people escape to the movies, to get away and relax on weekends, go to the afternoon matinees to save money! Just stay away from the concession counter!!!

good luck, hope I helped a little bit... and please do see your doctor a professional opinion never hurts... you really dont have to feel this way if its a medical issue. fyi... I have clinic depression myself, its lack of my brain producing happy hormones, its nothing to be ashamed of, its sort of like diabetes, I just need some medical help and please note I am *not* saying you have clinical depression, only a doctor can diagnose this which is why I suggest you get a professional opinion...

Can anyone relate to worsening depression over the week-ends?

I seem to be able to hold it together mood-wise from Mon-Fri as I hold a responsible work position. The frantic pace and busyness diverts my attention away from my depression and feel quite up-beat most of the time.

But come Sat/Sun I just crash into a heap, totally isolating myself from the world, and sleeping more to escape the pain..I have lost much contact with friends and don't feel social at all. It takes super human strength to even get to the shops.

Weekends are supposed to be fun, but I barely stuggle to survive and dread them.

Any advice/similar stories appreciated.

I've experienced the very same thing. For me, I really think that the "distraction" of the routine during the week keeps me going and doesn't let my mind focus on the negative and having tasks to complete prevent me from isolating every evening. But come weekend and nothing is planned - BAM! My little friend depression intoxicates me.

yup, im also the same way. during the week, i can hold it 2gether because i'm side-tracked with school and errands,but once the weekend hits, i dont know what to do with myself. I have friends, but i dont like to go to clubs and all that nightlife much anymore. i guess im maturing or whatever. i like to spend the time away from people. either take my bike out a hill and enjoy nature.

Yes, I feel exactly the same way. I wouldn't say I "dread" the weekends, but I definitely don't like them.

I think this is actually a very common feeling among many people.

Sometimes just sitting in a coffee shop for a while reading can help me. Just to be out of the house and around other people. Most times in my area (an area with lots of colleges) the coffee shops are full of people studying, so it's not like I'm surrounded by people having tons of fun while I'm left out. I think that helps me.