Sign in to follow this  
Mind

Is Not Being Able To Cry Normal?

Lately, well, more than lately. For a long time, I have not been able to cry. There have been times where I wanted to cry and could feel the urge build up inside of me but, nothing happens. At best I can squeeze out one or two tears but...nothing more. I can't sob or anything and I'm wondering, what does this mean? I used to be able to cry and I cried so many times in the past when I was younger. Did my body just decide that enough was enough and made it where I couldn't cry anymore? Or am I afraid to cry because my whole life I was taught that crying was " weakness " ? I guess... as strange as it sounds, I just wanna cry again. That's all.

Does anybody have the same problem as me and if so, what do you think the cause of it is?

Hi Mind

I am not a professional, but there could be a few reasons for it. Sometimes depression can cause emotional numbness, derealization and disassociation, which can also stop you from crying. Meds can also sometimes stop you from crying.

Trace

Well, I know it's not medication since I don't take any. Any suggestions on how to make myself cry in a safe positive way?

Hi Mind

Well that rules out meds being the cause. You may want to find the saddest movies you can find and try watching them, that can help. Do you think listening to some music could help? Often music can have a big impact.

Trace

I'm the same, 5 seconds is about the most I can do then it just stops, and I wish I could cry more because I'm sure it would help to get it all out.

Well, I know it's not medication since I don't take any. Any suggestions on how to make myself cry in a safe positive way?

I think it is totally normal for depression. I thought it was my medication for a long time, but when I am feeling myself and balanced crying isn't a problem - it's when despite the medication i fall into a depression that I really get numb.

I can relate to this as well. There are times when I want to really be able to cry (crying can be good for you as well since it can help relieve negative thoughts), but can't even do that. As I've progressed with my depression, I have found that I can get my eyes teary with maybe 2-3 tears coming out. Hopefully, I will be able to get through this and have the ability to cry again (it's so weird how we take small things such as ability to cry, eat, etc as something we should be granted until we run into this).

i have a similar problem. im 26 and i have not cried once since i was 14. i have some moments when i was able to squeeze out one or two tears, but that was it. i didn't start having depression issues unitl 3 years ago, so i'm wondering what the real cause is. hmm, something to think about