Sign in to follow this  
halfempty

Highly Sensitive People

I was just wondering if there are any highly sensitive people on this forum? I remember there use to be an hsp forum, but it closed for some reason. I really liked the forum :(( anyway, I just came across this forum and I hope it will be as helpful as the hsp forum was. If anyone is HSP or think they might be, should google it to see exactly what it is. life can be sometimes hard for you if you're hsp, like simple situations..... let me know! Thanks

I was just wondering if there are any highly sensitive people on this forum? I remember there use to be an hsp forum, but it closed for some reason. I really liked the forum :(( anyway, I just came across this forum and I hope it will be as helpful as the hsp forum was. If anyone is HSP or think they might be, should google it to see exactly what it is. life can be sometimes hard for you if you're hsp, like simple situations..... let me know! Thanks

Hello, just wanted to say HI and I agree that there are highly sensitive people. I think there is another group of people (like me) that have what I call a low *copeability factor* i.e. some people have the ability to cope with more issues and problems than others. Perhaps they are related in a way... I wish I could let things just roll of my back, but I tend to get upset over little things to large things and if too many pop up to quickly, I find I have problems coping and this can lead to anxiety and even panic. Just thought I would throw this out as I know people that can handle alot at one time and then people like me that just cant handle alot at one time. I combat this by focusing on one issue at a time (the most important one), solve it and then move on to the next issue and try and not let them build up on me, else I can crash.... its frustrating but I have come to realize its just in my nature to be this way. So I guess we could also have a forum titled people with low copeability factor....

p.s. Frankly, I think most all of us here on DF are highly sensitive, its what gets us into trouble...

. I think there is another group of people (like me) that have what I call a low *copeability factor* i.e. some people have the ability to cope with more issues and problems than others. Perhaps they are related in a way... I wish I could let things just roll of my back, but I tend to get upset over little things to large things and if too many pop up to quickly, I find I have problems coping and this can lead to anxiety and even panic. Just thought I would throw this out as I know people that can handle alot at one time and then people like me that just cant handle alot at one time. I combat this by focusing on one issue at a time (the most important one), solve it and then move on to the next issue and try and not let them build up on me, else I can crash.... its frustrating but I have come to realize its just in my nature to be this way. So I guess we could also have a forum titled people with low copeability factor....

Oh, I totally agree. I get overwhelmed when lot of things happen at the same time. And "lots of things" might just be me trying to put food on the plates while my children are talking. Especially from mothers everyone seems to expect that we are able to handle 5 things at a time. But I cant. I can either cook or talk to my child. I can work but I cannot take care of lunch at the same time. And more importantly: I do not WANT to do several things at the same time. I cannot listen to music while typing on the computer and I hate the feeling when people ask me something when I was just thinking of something else. Is there any cure for that out there? When I am vulnerable, and right now I am, I break down every time there is too much in front of me. It is a horrible feeling!

Hi Marta and :welcomeani: to DF,

HSP is an innate trait of biological origin. There is a good percentage of the human population with this hypersensitivity , including animal who are very intuitive .

It is both a gift and an issue and there are plenty of books, journals and organizations for HSP.

HSP can use they gift to be very creative and artistic.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Hello, just wanted to re-interate what I do to combat my low copeability factor. I *prioritize* was is the most important issue pending, tackle it if solveable, and then move on to the next most important issue. Some issues there can be no answer and out of our control. Those I just have to push out of my mind... if I cant do anything about certain issues i.e. they are beyond my control, I cannot let them get me down.

Good Luck, hope this little piece of advice helps...

p.s. by pushing things out of my mind that I cant control, I have learned or developed the ability to do this better and better and thus not to dwell on things I cannot effect or control. I think it can be learned process if you constantly do it, it gets easier and easier with time...

I used to be extremely sensitive until I got bullied enough in elementary school to where i started to fight back and developed a sense of, "I don't give a WHAT." then i had anger issues until i turned a certain age. then became a pothead/ alcoholic. Now I'm just an ex-soldier who uses prozac to deal with day to day issues. i'm sorry, i dont know where i was going with this post

Thank you for this post. I would class myself as a Highly sensitive person ( didn`t even realize there was a phrase for it!). I can`t cope with to many "problem" at once and I get upset way to easily-I hate it!Will goggle it. Thanks again x

@betteroff.... I dont think "most" people can solve their problems and then let them go. That's too easy. however, I think most people try to forget their problems and not think about them, which is unhealthy. it leads to drinking and drug use etc...

for me being highly sensitive means I cannot put a lot on my plate. I will get overwhelmed easily. Emotional situations are the most problematic b/c they will consume me. The other issues about being sensitive to light or noise is true, but you can control that especially if you live by yourself, if you live with roommates or family it can be hard and very stimulating which for me it makes me want to retire to my room every night early just to get away. Right now I'm under stimulated. Anyway, Thanks for replying! and I hope you guys find that if you are HSP and did not know it just knowing it can help. For so long I was depressed b/c I was different (so i thought) until I found that I am HSP. Now me and my boyfriend recently broke up (he was hsp too) our relationship was great until there were changes in it. Then it would get unbearable. We arent good with change. I dont want to lose him.....

Hi Marta and :welcomeani: to DF,

HSP is an innate trait of biological origin. There is a good percentage of the human population with this hypersensitivity , including animal who are very intuitive .

It is both a gift and an issue and there are plenty of books, journals and organizations for HSP.

HSP can use they gift to be very creative and artistic.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Well, I'm insanely sensitive, like crazy. And not exaggerating and kidding, I'm really artistic. I love to make fine paintings and illustrations! Anyone who'd like to talk visual arts with me, please feel free to pm me.

Edited by lostinvain