A New Look Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jhj98

Celexa Not Working

Hi All,

Need an opinion. If Celexa is not working, what's the idea of switching to another SSRI? Would it be the same case if switched to Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, or Lexapro since it's the same class of medications? Or would it be better to switch to a different class, say an SNRI?

Hi All,

Need an opinion. If Celexa is not working, what's the idea of switching to another SSRI? Would it be the same case if switched to Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, or Lexapro since it's the same class of medications? Or would it be better to switch to a different class, say an SNRI?

Hello and welcome to DF, its a great place to ask questions and this one is quite valid a concern, however, keep in mind we are not professionals, asking this type of question could result in an improper answer or response from someone and we would feel *terrible* if we gave you wrong advice. This is just the type of question you should ask your doctor who is a professional. Wish I could offer more but

we dare not for fear of being misleading. Dont worry, your doctor is more informed and can allay any fears or questions you might have about starting another medication! Its a good question though and a definate, ask the doctor...

Good Luck and keep us posted on what the response from him/her is, this particular question I would like to hear what the doctor says if you dont mind coming back and telling us!

Have a good day and stay optomistic about whatever is suggested by the doctor... I think any medication works better when you take it with a positive attitude vs a negative attitude...

Hi jhj98,

You do not say what dose of Celexa you are on and how long you have been on it. Have you see your Doctor to have in adjusted or reviewed?

If your Celexa has stopped being effective after years of use, your Doctor may decide to switch you to another SSRI medication and more than often this switch is successful.

The use of SNRI medication is usually considered when SSRI medications are not effective anymore, and some Doctors do decide to switch patients to an SNRI even after the first SSRI does not work.

In my own personal experience switching to another SSRI has work effectively for me.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Hi jhj98,

You do not say what dose of Celexa you are on and how long you have been on it. Have you see your Doctor to have in adjusted or reviewed?

If your Celexa has stopped being effective after years of use, your Doctor may decide to switch you to another SSRI medication and more than often this switch is successful.

The use of SNRI medication is usually considered when SSRI medications are not effective anymore, and some Doctors do decide to switch patients to an SNRI even after the first SSRI does not work.

In my own personal experience switching to another SSRI has work effectively for me.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Sorry about that. The dose of Celexa is 30 MG, been on that for about 8 weeks. No improvement whatsoever. I'm not sure if an increase to 40mg is worth it, since there has been no improvement at all. I was just wondering if another SSRI would work, since the celexa hasn't. The pdoc appointment is in 2 1/2 weeks. I may call and see if I can get in sooner than that.

30mg of celexa did not work well enough for me either. I am now on 40mg for about 2 weeks and I think it is starting to help.

theguy,

Thanks for the reply. What was your starting dose? How long have you been on celexa? This is for my mother- in-law. She started on 10mg for about 3 weeks, then upped to 20mg for about five days, then onto 30mg where she's at now. She's been on celexa for a total of about 12 weeks and on 30mg for about eight weeks. I thought she was getting better there for a while but that was short lived. She takes the celexa at night along with 600mg of neurontin, 1mg of ativan, and 100mg trazodone for sleep. Now she has stomach issues (dull, gnawing pains), wakes up in the morning with burning sensations in her arms, very weak, no appetite at all (can't stand the thought of food), and no motivation. We see the pdoc today to discuss our next steps. I'd like to get her off some of these medications and see if any of these are causing some of her problems.

Update on Pdoc visit...

The doctor did some changes to my mother in law's medicine. She was on 30mg of celexa, 600mg of neurontin, 100mg of trazodone all taken around bedtime. The new routine will be to add 15mg of remeron, reduce the celexa to 20mg for six nights, then 10mg for 2 nights then stop, reduce the neurontin to 300mg for 4 nights, then stop it, and reduce the trazodone to 50mg. So I'm hoping this will start making her feel better as well as get her appetite back. The pdoc feels the neurontin could be making her feel weak the next day, so we'll see.