Sign in to follow this  
Winston Smith

When You Hit Rock Bottom - Ok To Cancel A Few Days' Engagements (University)?

As the topic title suggests, I really feel that I need to recover after a particularly severe period of depression. It won't affect any my results for the courses I'm taking (nothing genuinely compulsory in the coming days), but I'll miss a few lectures.

And rock bottom means rock bottom.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by Winston Smith

As the topic title suggests, I really feel that I need to recover after a particularly severe period of depression. It won't affect any my results for the courses I'm taking (nothing genuinely compulsory in the coming days), but I'll miss a few lectures.

Hello, I guess if you need some *time off* and feel it would do you some good, its okay. I have a suggestion. I use to have some friends in each class and if someone missed a day for a certain reason, one of my friends would make a copy of their notes for the lecture. Or if you dont have a friend in class, it might be a good way to make one by asking someone sitting next to you if could have a copy of their notes as you were sick and out for a few days. Its a nice way to meet someone and the notes will be good to have because alot of test questions can come from those notes. If someone is just particularly stingy or adamant about *no* which I doubt, just look for someone else, there will always be a nice person in a classroom who understands and will say sure, lets go to a copy machine!

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do... I never had a problem if I was out getting someones notes and offered to return the favor should they ever need to be absent for some reason....

I took a whole week off university when my heart was broken and really depressed. From my experience, go to your lectures that you know you'll focus better in. Skip the ones you know are pointless in your current state. But don't make it long term.

This is an excellent question and one that (to me) is not easy to answer. In my own experience, I have definitely had similar circumstances where I was falling apart and considered getting out of various commitments to lessen the overall stress feeding into the situation. One 'catch' to this, though, is that for some people (like me) this can turn into a process of slowly resigning from life - doing less and less - which process can itself feed back into the additional stress of feeling more isolated and disconnected from people and 'positive' activities and the feeling of remaining in control. If you're pretty confident that it's a very finite amount of cancellation, then it's probably going to do more good than harm, I would guess.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's always great to recieve some support and suggestions when your own judgement is clouded and you feel mentally exhausted. By taking two days off, I will do my utmost to recooperate to a state where I am functioning again.

And I'll ask a friend to lend me his notes later.

Winston