Sign in to follow this  
Trace

Age And Depression #2

Age and Depression #2  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How old where you when it first hit

I remember having all of my life but when I was a kid I didn't know what it was. It runs in the family but most of my family members are in denial about it or self medicate it.

I suffered from GAD from a very young age (due to family addiction problems...) It wasn't until I was age 22 that my depression really began. My parents 25 year marriage ended and it flipped my entire existence upside down. Looking back I can now see the gradual fall into the deep dark depression. It has been a struggle for the past 4 years, but I'm finally gaining some in my healing.

I was diagnosed when I was 29, but looking back I showed clear symptoms from a much earlier age. I was twelve years old when I thought for the first time:"I wish I were dead. Being dead would be so much easier." Not normal for a twelve year old girl.

I was around 11 years old when I began experiencing what I think felt like depression. I have no idea why I was so sad all the time. But I remember I would do a daily sob practically everyday after school and prayed to die every day at night. I had lots of diary/journal pages wishing I could die. I got out of it when I was around 12. Don't know how that happened either, I just didn't feel so sad anymore. I ripped up and threw away all those diary/journal pages because I was ashamed.

I began to feel a lot of sadness around age 14, when I left my middle school to a new high school where no one I knew was going. Something had just happened right before I left too, minor but it got to me so bad for some reason...And then I began changing my attitude/personality and having a few trust issues with people.

The sadness got worse and worse as things happened in high school and it feels like it's at its peak right now for me, at age 17. Just because everything has turned to crap at this point in my life.

It was probably around the beginning of high school when I first started feeling depressed. I'm unclear however on whether or not some of the things that happened around that time were a cause or symptom of the depression.

when I was 16 I started to feel lack of motivation and light unmotivated sadness. When I was 20 I has my first episode of major depression.

They actually started treating/medicating me for it when I was 13, so I answered early teens. However, I remember (at least I think I do) being 10 and wanting to die, crying in my closet wishing I knew how to actually hang myself. And I was always different. But I don't know when it really first hit me or if it was always there. I just know they started treating it when I was 13.

-EJ

My first dx was in my mid-20s, but doc said I'd probably been suffering from low-grade depression much of my life (a really difficult childhood), and childbirth just pushed me over the edge. Now, in my 30s, it's really hit me hard.

Its time for a new poll everyone. How old where you when depression first hit?

I was diagnosed with depression when I was in the military. Like a fool I refused treatment because of the stigma involved. I really wish I would have taken to opportunity to get help back then. If I had, my military career may have ended on a better note.

How does it work over in the US, is it automatic dismissal if you get diagnosed with depression or anxiety and have to take medication for it??

I tried for the army here in australia and as soon as i told them i had been of zoloft (i was depression,anxiety and medication free at this point) they looked at me like i was a snake and pretty much closed the book on me.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. The US Military will not automatically discharge you if you have been diagnosed with depression or some other type of mental illness. Then again if your mental illness is serious enough to impact your ability to function and perform your military duties, you might be subject to being discharged. I do not know how they deal with people trying to get in to the military with psychological issues so I can't speak for that.

12 was typical teenage angst and feelings of loneliness.

13 was the age that I first started self harming. This has continued up until now, at 19.

14 was drug, cigarette, alcohol abuse.

15 was first and only love... followed by heartbreak when my love had to move overseas.

At 15 I truly understood depression. Deep agony, the feeling of just being an empty shell that absorbs all the misery in the world.

18 is when I was first diagnosed with major depressive disorder, following the termination of my child conceived by rape.

At 19 I am still depressed and am struggling to find joy.

I have completely lost myself and no longer know what makes me happy.

Depression runs in my family, my mother, her mother. My great grandmother ended up in a mental institution. So I guess it was inevitable that i would have it too. the first signs were about 8 or 9 when I started eating for comfort , which led me to yo yo dieting from age15. We moved alot, changing schools just about every year was the hardest. My first major episode was about 24 after some major life changes. I started on prozac, on and off for the past 14 years now.

I think mid-teens, but didn't know it. That was when my mom started to dislike me. Could have been part of it. I was first diagnosed in my late 30's. None of the meds I have ever tried helped.

Looking back symptoms began around 8. In my twenties and part of my thirties heavily self medicated all undiagnosed. Now, in my late 40's a determination and treatment plan is in effect. All those years of being ill and not knowing.

I remember feeling depressed during my junior year of h.s., but I wasn't very aware of it, and my family certainly didn't help out. I had the classic very, very tired I-want-to-sleep-all-the-time symptoms, and wasn't interested in making new friends. Something snapped between my senior year and into college, where I had boyfriends and a grand ol' time and didn't feel the effects of depression again, truly, until my mid-twenties. BUT .... the extreme, uncontrollable anxiety was still there, but I hid it well.

these days both the depression and anxiety are back in full-force.

I grew up with a classic borderline mother, and am in therapy for that to this day.