Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Envy

4Th Week Of Prozac And Feelin It

It's been a rough journey but i think i've landed safely. i'm taking fluoxetine, the generic of prozac for depression and suicidal thoughts and ptsd. i swore to god i was going to do myself in, but when i did, there would not be any attempts, dry runs, or rehearsals. then i spoke to some people and they gave me the run down about how it's not worth it and i understand what they are saying, but i literally thought about it every day. i even thought of ways to carry it out.

I went back into therapy and my doc put me on fluoxetine, here are the results:

1st week: didn't really feel anything, just a little bit more tired than usual.

2nd week: loss of appetite, weakness, nasuea, head ache

2nd week's weekend: this was a crucial time. I was experiencing pretty much every side effect listed with the drug: loss of appetite, weight loss, weakness, tiredness, nausea, insomnia, increased anxiety, dry mouth, decreased sex drive, indigestion, crazy *** dreams, and increase of suicidal thoughts. it was so bad that saturday night i was driving my car and thought about driving to san francisco just to jump off the golden gate bridge. this is serious because i can't even swim and fear water like the plague, yet i was going jump in the water. also during this weekend, i pretty much closed off myself to the world. I was feeling like s***, excuse my french.

3rd week: side effects went away. i just had weakness, insomnia, and loss of appetite. suicidal thoughts stopped completely. i can't even force myself to think about it now.

4th week: i was in my economics class today, and it hit me. it was like a wave of serotonin just got to my brain. i had a huge grin on my face. then my legs felt like jello, and i got hella tired. i don't even know how i made it home on my bike, but i must say i feel good.

Hello, just wanted to add that I too have taken prozac in the past. Everything you are describing is *spot on* that is working and the side effects you are experiencing are also *spot on* but they do go away with time. From this point on, if you follow the traditional initial effects of an anti-depressent, your strength will slowly return, your side effects will continue to fade away graduall and slowly until one day you wake up and they are non-existant. I *personally* think it takes like 2 months to become 90% effective but a full 3 months to be feeling 100% perfect and back to full shape again...

Just hang in there, you might still have a drawback day, but these will disappear over time, its the natural progression of the medication taking effect. So many people panic at the intitial 2 or 3 week side effects and stop taking the meds, not realizing there is this hump you have to get over first and the shame of it is, they never find out what they are missing. It just takes time...

I think this is great news.... and keep us posted because it gives other people here hope that they too can make it through the first most difficult weeks of your brain adjusting to a new brain chemistry...

I recently started Prozac 10 mg (9/15). This is in addition to the 200 mg of Wellbutrin SR I take. The Wellbutrin has helped tremendously w/the depression but anxiety is really what gets me...I've not taken Prozac before. Am really hoping it will help w/anxiety..sounds like I have a few more weeks to go before I really get the benefit. Is this correct?

Correct, Phoenix. You are still early on the prozac. It may take 4-6 weeks. Some folks less. Be patient with yourself (easier said than done, I know).

Tim

Thanks for posting this Blue Envy. I'm halfway through my second week and having a bit of a rough time, so it was comforting to hear that someone else went through a rough time and came out alright. Before the Prozac I was just having mild anxiety, now I'm having full blown panic attacks and the occasional suicidal thought. It was so tempting to quit taking the Prozac before finding these threads.

I'm in the 6th week now and I just had a horrible week from tuesday to sunday. on monday, i was feeling all energetic- did my homework and was ready for class on tuesday, but when i woke up that morning, i had a horrible stomach ache. i couldn't even get out of bed let alone go to class. on wednesday i also did not feel good, so i skipped another day.

on thursday, i still felt like crap but i went to class. Man, i was so out of it. Then the teacher called on me to read something in my english class- i was in my own world, but i quickly came to my senses and read aloud. It wasn't until the second hour of class when i felt life return to my body. I was supposed to go see some friends that night, but i didn't feel like it. it was like i wanted to go, but my body was not having it. I still felt weak.

Then friday, i slept like 14 hours. When I finally got out of bed- i was still tired. my legs felt like spaghetti. I then realized it was the prozac doing this to me. How else could I sleep so long and still feel like I didn't even go to sleep.

On saturday, was an event i was looking forward to for 3 months. a local motorcycle club was hosting a raffle. i wanted to take my car rather than my bike so i would have a place to store my prizes. (i was juiced to get the mini chopper). anyway, my sister vanished with my car for the entire weekend. wth? I told her what my plans were and she didn't even come home til hella late sunday night. she said she didn't know it was this weekend. freaking BS. needless to say i was mad. I was so mad i didn't even do any homework, or studying this weekend, which is rare for me because school is all i care about right now. man, im still hella mad. on top of that, she said she rear-ended some lady friday night in my car. WTH?

Feels good to let it out. Hopefully this week will be better. OH look, 7:00am, prozac time!

Edited by Blue_Envy

I'm in the 6th week now and I just had a horrible week from tuesday to sunday. on monday, i was feeling all energetic- did my homework and was ready for class on tuesday, but when i woke up that morning, i had a horrible stomach ache. i couldn't even get out of bed let alone go to class. on wednesday i also did not feel good, so i skipped another day.

on thursday, i still felt like crap but i went to class. Man, i was so out of it. Then the teacher called on me to read something in my english class- i was in my own world, but i quickly came to my senses and read aloud. It wasn't until the second hour of class when i felt life return to my body. I was supposed to go see some friends that night, but i didn't feel like it. it was like i wanted to go, but my body was not having it. I still felt weak.

Then friday, i slept like 14 hours. When I finally got out of bed- i was still tired. my legs felt like spaghetti. I then realized it was the prozac doing this to me. How else could I sleep so long and still feel like I didn't even go to sleep.

On saturday, was an event i was looking forward to for 3 months. a local motorcycle club was hosting a raffle. i wanted to take my car rather than my bike so i would have a place to store my prizes. (i was juiced to get the mini chopper). anyway, my sister vanished with my car for the entire weekend. wth? I told her what my plans were and she didn't even come home til hella late sunday night. she said she didn't know it was this weekend. freaking BS. needless to say i was mad. I was so mad i didn't even do any homework, or studying this weekend, which is rare for me because school is all i care about right now. man, im still hella mad. on top of that, she said she rear-ended some lady friday night in my car. WTH?

Feels good to let it out. Hopefully this week will be better. OH look, 7:00am, prozac time!

Hello, just wanted to reply to what you had posted. I responded earlier about the third week being better and then you have this slow improvement, well, I kinda neglected to mention on purpose that there is always the last hurdle you have to make it through, which I think you just did (it happened with me in the past and it might not have happened with you so I didnt really want to bring it up as everyone reacts differently of course). I envision starting an AD as a roller-coaster ride. Again,I have been there three times, and the first big hump you come to is the fist two weeks. Then a few bumps inbetween the ride you get over, like one bad day (perhaps two) and then you start feeling great again, but I *personally* find there is that final big hump at the end of the ride, and then its kinda down hill all the way to stability and feeling good. I think you just hit that final big hurdle... Of course this may not be for everyone, but its what I remembered going through. Again I am watching your post to see if that was your last hurdle or last big bump on the roller coaster ride... I think it is and hope things flatten out for you from now on, again keep us posted as I am on your heals starting a new AD myself... Also I want to stress that if it bothered you enough, see your doctor or talk to your doctors nurse if that makes you feel better...

This may be a shock, but I am quitting not just Prozac, but anti depressants altogether. The main scare I got was when I got a trembling sensation in my hands. I have read that people who get tremors, have to be prescribed medicine just to get rid of the tremors; and even still, they never really go away. I ride a motorcycle, so I cannot have shaky hands. Motorcycling is one of the things that have kept me from doing away with myself, so it's impossible for me to give that up.

Also, since I've been on this SSRI, my friends and family have noticed a big change in me. i have not seen my friends for 6 weeks. Normally I only go about 2-3 weeks at most, but 6 weeks is unprecedented. I never did this before Prozac. So basically, I have the option of feeling negative and positive emotions and being fully functional, or feeling like a nonchalant zombie and feeling weak, tired, sleepy, and not 100%. Antidepressants work for some people, but apparently, they don't work for me. I feel good, but it feels like I'm living a lie. I don't want to feel like a zombie with no emotions. I want to live, breathe, fell something other than, "Oh, I'm awake. Now what? Guess I'm tired, time to go beddy bye. ***?"

I know times were hard w/out the meds, but I feel no reason to live with the meds. It's like, okay, what do I do now? Well, we will see how this turns out. I was only on it for 6 weeks, so hopefully withdrawal won't be so bad. I quit garden shrub, tobacco, and alcohol cold turkey, let's see if this works out as well.

This may be a shock, but I am quitting not just Prozac, but anti depressants altogether. The main scare I got was when I got a trembling sensation in my hands. I have read that people who get tremors, have to be prescribed medicine just to get rid of the tremors; and even still, they never really go away. I ride a motorcycle, so I cannot have shaky hands. Motorcycling is one of the things that have kept me from doing away with myself, so it's impossible for me to give that up.

Also, since I've been on this SSRI, my friends and family have noticed a big change in me. i have not seen my friends for 6 weeks. Normally I only go about 2-3 weeks at most, but 6 weeks is unprecedented. I never did this before Prozac. So basically, I have the option of feeling negative and positive emotions and being fully functional, or feeling like a nonchalant zombie and feeling weak, tired, sleepy, and not 100%. Antidepressants work for some people, but apparently, they don't work for me. I feel good, but it feels like I'm living a lie. I don't want to feel like a zombie with no emotions. I want to live, breathe, fell something other than, "Oh, I'm awake. Now what? Guess I'm tired, time to go beddy bye. ***?"

I know times were hard w/out the meds, but I feel no reason to live with the meds. It's like, okay, what do I do now? Well, we will see how this turns out. I was only on it for 6 weeks, so hopefully withdrawal won't be so bad. I quit garden shrub, tobacco, and alcohol cold turkey, let's see if this works out as well.

You might get the zaps/dizzines when withdrawing for a week or two - so be careful riding/driving.

Hi Blue Envy,

Sorry it didn't work out for you either. I was on Prozac for two or two and a half weeks (can't remember exactly). My doctor adviced me to quit cold turkey as I was having troublesome side effects. I'm not really sure if I experienced much in the way of withdrawals since I was dealing with the initial side effects. I did, however, start to feel back to my old self almost exactly when I should have according to Prozacs half-life. Day five after quitting no more anxiety, and by day ten I could barely remember what being on it was like.

I am also considering trying to work on my issues without medication. I'm not entirely sure if it's the Trazodone making me feel fatigue throughout the day, but I can't stand this feeling of just laying in bed and not feeling motivated to study (school is also usually very important to me). This past week I also took an Ativan, and have been sleeping for the majority of the three days since. It's hard to know how much of this is truly because of the medications, but like you, I want to see how things go without.