Sign in to follow this  
vr055r

Questioning God After Mania

Hi guys, I'm just curious to know if anyone out there shares similar experiences or point of view. We know that depressive phases and bipolar manic phases and other mental illnesses can cause distortions of perception and so much of Christianity is based on faith and perception of God and the bible, has anyone seriously found it hard to accept what they previously thought was for sure acts of God or reasonable proof of divine existence?

I would think that everyone questions the whys and ways of the Universe. I tend to gravitate to "God is punishing me" kind of thoughts when things go wrong in my life. I have also questioned my Christian faith, has God made us to just leave us alone to muddle through, does he intervene even make miracles for us?

I've read a lot about my faith (Christian) and perhaps, the best book on the subject (in my opinion) is "The Case for Faith" by Peter Kreft. It really gave my faith a boost!

Good question, keep asking them!

Take care,

Aerial

I am seriously questioning my faith, as well. I was on a manic phase for about three weeks and had some great bible studies. Now that I am in a depressive phase brought on by worrying about money and the future, I am obsessing on the fact that I feel nothing between me and the Lord. Many say not to trust feelings, but there is a lot said in the bible about rejoicing with joy inexpressible. Further, there is talk about the peace of God, another feeling. Neither of which I can say I have. The relationship with Jesus is distorted after a manic phase, and sometimes the pendulum swings far enough to cause alarm about going to hell, even though a clear conversion took place. Don't knwo if this helps.

I've been reading with interest your posts about questioning God after mania. It can be confusing to make sense between the transcendent feelings one associates with faith and the similar kind of feelings associated with a manic phase.

Trying to distinguish what might be a divine moment and what are brain transmitters getting overly engaged is not a subject I would think many are experts about.

I am grateful for these above posts. They are wise. And I think ultimately hopeful.

Tim

I believe and respect God and the Bible. I don't blame God for any of my mental and emotional issues. There are some things I don't even try to understand as it pertains to Him.

HI Lindahurt:

I understand your post. The older I get the more I seek to trust (hard but seems the way to go) and the more I sense the mystery of creation that is beyond my understanding.

Tim