New Medication For Depression Is Here!

Hey everyone, please excuse me, I don't have a computer and I'm writing on my phone. First,if u are reading this let me tell u the medication. It is an SSRE called Stablon,or tianeptine. An SSRE is a SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUTAKE ENHANCER, and it has less than 25% of side effects of SSRI's, some don't experience any! Unfortunately, it is approved basically everywhere but the United States. So, Google it, and it makes me infuriated at the FDA. E-mail me please y'all, cause we have got to come together and do whatever we can to arrange and collaborate to attempt a second time to get this patented, THIS IS THE "NEW CLASS" OF NOT ONLY DEPRESSION,BUT OCD AND ANXIETY MEDS. LET'S DO IT!

Hi Colonel80,

This medication (Stablon) is available in the UK. It would be very interesting to hear from Members of DF who are on this medication as to the side effects.

It is supposed to cause less loss of libido and is recommended for problems with loss of libido.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds interesting.. When you say 'OCD', r u saying that Stablon/Tianeptine is the medication for it, or are you referring to other new drugs that have also just "come out" under the SSRE class that can be used for OCD?

I'm interested because I have Ocpd, and if this is going to work, I'm looking forward to changing to it as I'm already at my 'last resort' of TCA Clomipramine (Anafranil) after almost all SSRI's have failed to work for me which really sucks - and wasted a lot of my time.

• 2 weeks later...

Stablon / Tianeptine has been around for a while, so technically it's not "new." It's an serotonin re-uptake enhancer, not an inhibitor (like SSRIs), meaning it has the exact opposite mechanism of action, and yet has proved beneficial for depression, etc. Just goes to show how very little these MDs, etc. know about the brain and depression.

Anyways, I tried it last year...gave it a incomplete trial - having only tried it for 2 weeks. I felt better overall - mostly in the morning and at night, but noticed feeling immediately worse right after taking it...anyways, my trial was incomplete, and not worth reading into much.

It's easy enough to buy over the internet, and reasonably cheap. But it you're all looking for a "new" or "magic" drug, get excited about the possibilities of Ketamine. Google "Ketamine and Depression." It's not FDA approved yet, and probably won't be for a while.

Oh, and Stablon isn't available in the US, or FDA approved, because it's already a generic overseas. There's no financial incentive for any pharmaceutical Co.'s to spend mucho $$$ testing it, getting it approved, etc. if its generic and going to be sold for $3 a batch anyways. Also, part of me thinks the FDA would feel stupid - and likewise Pharm Co's in the US - if they were to approve a new depression drug that does the TOTAL opposite of their SSRIs....there would go their cute TV commercials about serotonin deficiencies and chemical imbalances...

Edited by AngelOfTheMoor
TOS

• 2 months later...

Stablon / Tianeptine has been around for a while, so technically it's not "new." It's an serotonin re-uptake enhancer, not an inhibitor (like SSRIs), meaning it has the exact opposite mechanism of action, and yet has proved beneficial for depression, etc. Just goes to show how very little these MDs, etc. know about the brain and depression.

Anyways, I tried it last year...gave it a incomplete trial - having only tried it for 2 weeks. I felt better overall - mostly in the morning and at night, but noticed feeling immediately worse right after taking it...anyways, my trial was incomplete, and not worth reading into much.

It's easy enough to buy over the internet, and reasonably cheap. But it you're all looking for a "new" or "magic" drug, get excited about the possibilities of Ketamine. Google "Ketamine and Depression." It's not FDA approved yet, and probably won't be for a while.

Oh, and Stablon isn't available in the US, or FDA approved, because it's already a generic overseas. There's no financial incentive for any pharmaceutical Co.'s to spend mucho $$$ testing it, getting it approved, etc. if its generic and going to be sold for $3 a batch anyways. Also, part of me thinks the FDA would feel stupid - and likewise Pharm Co's in the US - if they were to approve a new depression drug that does the TOTAL opposite of their SSRIs....there would go their cute TV commercials about serotonin deficiencies and chemical imbalances...

started stablon 2 days ago, will report back. I will give it a good3-4 week trial

Sounds interesting. I'd be up for giving it a bash so long as it doesn't interfere with my libido! I'm on St John's Wort and I've got to say I don't sense its doing much other at best keeping me on an even keel. Still at least it doesn't interfere with my libido so thumbs up there.

Yeah, I really dig the idea of Ketamine it really does making perfect sense to be honest. I don't want trip out or anything but certainly be nice for some of the potency of those unpleasant feelings/emotions to go away.

Guest Painted_In_A_Corner

Be asking too much for the FDA wanting to help us folks with major depression let alone other drugs they won't approve for other major dieases. If they can't turn a buck it isn't in their interest.

But hey we can always hope eh!?!

Painted

This sounds interesting.. When you say 'OCD', r u saying that Stablon/Tianeptine is the medication for it, or are you referring to other new drugs that have also just "come out" under the SSRE class that can be used for OCD?

I'm interested because I have Ocpd, and if this is going to work, I'm looking forward to changing to it as I'm already at my 'last resort' of TCA Clomipramine (Anafranil) after almost all SSRI's have failed to work for me which really sucks - and wasted a lot of my time.

Have you tried Luvox? Anafranil is a horrible drug, I took 25mg. and almost ended up in the er! good luck!

Sad thing is after reading about Ketamine they say that they are trying to change the compounds in the drug to keep people for having major side effects. They want to change how the drug is delivered instead of a injection too.

I believe they can do it. But what do you think all the major drug companies would do if they did get it to work with a small amount of side effects? Not to meantion the FDA. And gosh don't forget good ole uncle sam! The almighty dollar folks!

Edited by Painted_In_A_Corner

Sad thing is after reading about Ketamine they say that they are trying to change the compounds in the drug to keep people for having major side effects. They want to change how the drug is delivered instead of a injection too.

I believe they can do it. But what do you think all the major drug companies would do if they did get it to work with a small amount of side effects? Not to meantion the FDA. And gosh don't forget good ole uncle sam! The almighty dollar folks!

Well to be honest f em lol! I mean seriously if I made a pile of cash I'd put it into research into Ketamine and other alternatives.

I'm now kinda coming to a swift conclusion that its not so much the thoughts that effect us in depression but the actual emotions attached to them at anyone time.

Sometimes e.g. I can have the same negative doom and gloom thoughts but they simply don't have the same impact. Now why is that??? I reckon its gotta be because I have sufficient serotonine or dopamine running between my synapes or something.

At the same time the action that Ketamine takes seems to make so much sense.

I don't think anyone wants to be taking Ketamine frequently but just at a sufficient dose for it to be of actual real benefit.

I think there are many things that are being researched at the moment but I think more direct consultation should go on with those who are actually depressed so drugs can actually be tailored to address specific detailed problems because after all only someone who is in depression can generally explain this stuff.

I think if someone asked me to log my day to day experiences I'd say I know my mind pretty well but even with depression being what it is stuff that I expect to happen doesn't always happen the same way as before.

Does that make sense?

I'm now kinda coming to a swift conclusion that its not so much the thoughts that effect us in depression but the actual emotions attached to them at anyone time.

Sometimes e.g. I can have the same negative doom and gloom thoughts but they simply don't have the same impact. Now why is that??? I reckon its gotta be because I have sufficient serotonine or dopamine running between my synapes or something.

I'm kind of coming to this conclusion too. At least I am starting to think that this is how my brain works, I can speak only for my mind. I know it kind of flies in the fact of cognitive behavioral therapy.

Oh shoot forgot to ask can you get Stablon in Pharmacies in the UK? I checked the internet and it seems pretty expensive!

I'd be really concerned about buying drugs over the internet. I have a hard enough time taken the rat poison the VA gives us Vets each month. Do I sound paranoid? Not really just watch my back.

I hear ya about your first post above. But going on with my rant about why they'll never make any of their drugs more tolerable for us just ain't going to happen.

I'm sure you know there are special pharmacy companies local in most maJor city that tailor drugs to each persons body. Now if they can do this than you know darn well there are awesome caring scientist that can manitulate most drugs to do just what they say they can do with Ketamine. (And other drugs as well)

But as I said this would not fair well with the major drug makers in our country. It would take billions of dollars out of their pockets. Ya see I learned along time ago a few things about are govt.

One if they could manufactor anything that would benifit the lives of millions do you think they would do it? I think not! Its call population control. Why do you think we can't pass a health bill across the board? And all the new things that they added into measure that take into affect 2014: how many people do you think will die in that timeframe waiting for medical help.

And is this medical help really going to be any different? Heck no! And the doctors that will be forced to abide by these new gov laws will take it into the court rooms, while millions of others die.

The point of my ranting is this. Scientist don't have all the answers. But they do know how to make things work right better than most people are willing to believe.

Two have you read lately the rise in mental health issuses in the US? Its off the books. Why you may ask. Read up what were feeding our live-stock alone. Look at the crap they put in our food these days. Depression is lower in Asian countries because of their fish intake. The Omega 3's that they intake keep them healthier. Most countries that live mainly on fatty fish & seafood live as I said healthier lives and they have a lower mental health problems in their country.

So the bottom line is this. When you read the side effects to most of the new drugs they come out with, they all pretty much have the same warning on them. Do I need to say more.

Its call population control for one. And billions of dollars spent on just our problems with mental health. There is no-way on this earth that the people running the show are going to allow quality medications to be made and given to us. It would shut down so many jobs & companies so fast it would make ya head spin.

I'm sure you might agree with me on this matter. But please understand I'm no Art Bell with a conspiracy theory here. Just talking about the facts.

Painted

Wow I thought what I said in my last post would strir the hornets nest up lol! Be nice if we could march to Washington and politely ask for better meds and better mental services.

I know us Veterans would like better care and a larger staff to take care of us. Not to forget beds available when we need to check in for a while if were in a bad way!

I am so ready to try something novel. The current choices just aren't working enough. I hope the FDA gets on this. I am surprised that the drug company isn't on their back since it is a loss of revenue for them

Hey everyone, please excuse me, I don't have a computer and I'm writing on my phone. First,if u are reading this let me tell u the medication. It is an SSRE called Stablon,or tianeptine. An SSRE is a SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUTAKE ENHANCER, and it has less than 25% of side effects of SSRI's, some don't experience any! Unfortunately, it is approved basically everywhere but the United States. So, Google it, and it makes me infuriated at the FDA. E-mail me please y'all, cause we have got to come together and do whatever we can to arrange and collaborate to attempt a second time to get this patented, THIS IS THE "NEW CLASS" OF NOT ONLY DEPRESSION,BUT OCD AND ANXIETY MEDS. LET'S DO IT!

I was semi-successfully on tianeptine for 2-3 months; it had a tremendous positive impact for me on anxiety, problems with which haven't returned since stopping it some months ago; it had no impact for me on ADHD/focus issues, which are right now my primary concern; it had something of a downer aspect regarding my mood which is a little difficult to describe. However, I was also on wellbutrin & adderall; while wellbutrin & tianeptine are seemingly well studied/tolerated and often prescribed together where tianeptine is prescribable, I couldn't find any information regarding adderall & tianeptine, so I stopped the tianeptine at least temporarily.

I'm currently weaning off wellbutrin now that I've stopped smoking (it is giving me blood pressure/pre-hypertension issues) and not too impressed with adderall, which surprises me. I may well try tianeptine again. My only explanation for the lack of anxiety well after having stopped taking it is some structural repair, which the research indicates it can achieve.

It is not FDA approved, but my psychiatrists are very open to my using it in conjunction with what they're prescribing me, so I didn't need to hide or change anything.

And yes, ketamine please.

That sounds interesting. Perhaps the FDA has a good reason for not approving it yet? Do you know why the FDA hasn't allowed it to be distributed in the US so far? Maybe they're slow. In any events, sounds like a good med for us to learn more about.

I have to agree . Most of these meds have side effects there is no reason to rush something on to the market place till it is known to be safe.

Who asking them to rush!?! Were asking them to put more efford to their testing. I agree make these drugs safe. Cut out the darn side effects! They can do it. Their own studies prove this. So FDA please help us out a bit here could ya?