Depression Quotes

Forum Admin

• 2 months later...
Guest sarah-nicole

When I hear somebody sigh, "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask, "Compared to what?"

- Sydney J. Harris

Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings.

- Elie Weisel

Remember sadness is always temporary. This, too, shall pass.

- Chuck T. Falcon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Cant remember the name of who said this to me, and even if I did I would not post it, but someone told a joke about me, in front of me at work

Whats the difference between ken and a battery?

Answer

A battery has a positive side...

Kindof sums up a non-depressed persons view of depression. Course theres more to it than just negativity, but its a good joke anyways...

Edited by ken

• 1 month later...
Cant remember the name of who said this to me, and even if I did I would not post it, but someone told a joke about me, in front of me at work

Whats the difference between ken and a battery?

Answer

A battery has a positive side...

Kindof sums up a non-depressed persons view of depression. Course theres more to it than just negativity, but its a good joke anyways...

Ken,

grr!- want to pxxch them with a big mallet!xx -

Hugs,

Notaloon-justannoyed-well maybe a little bit of a loon.. aka, Scratch! ;) xx

Edited by nhsnotp2scratch

• 1 month later...

"This is my depressed stance. When you're depressed, it makes a lot of difference how you stand. The worst thing you can do is straighten up and hold your head high because then you'll start to feel better. If you're going to get any joy out of being depressed, you've got to stand like this."

-Good Ole Charlie Brown :hearts:

• 2 months later...

I recently discovered this quote and I try to follow it when I'm upset, and what I'm upset the most about is my past and how I wish I could go back and relive it, etc.

"Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss!

• 1 month later...

Here are some good positive affirmations from Louise L. Hay, the internationally renowned author of 'You Can Heal Your Life'

'I am in the process of making positive changes in all areas of my life'

'When i feel tense, I remember to relax all of the muscles and organs in my body'*

' I am safe when i express my feelings. I can be serene in any situation'

' I close my eyes, think positive thoughts, and breathe goodness in and out'

'I let go of childhood fears. I am a secure, empowered human being.'

'I have the strength to remain calm in the face of change'

'Financial security puts me at ease and makes me reel good about my future'

'I have a wonderful relationship with my friends, family members, and co-workers. I am appreciated'

'I meditate on a regular basis and reap benefits from this practice'*

' I trust myself to deal with any problems that arise during the day'

'I relax all my neck muscles, and i let go of any tension in my shoulders'*

'I slowly breathe in and out,and i find myself relaxing more and more with each breath'*

'I realise that stress is only fear. I now release all fears'*

'I let go of all negativity that rests in my body and mind'**

'I am a capable person, and I can handle anything that comes my way'

'I am centered and focused. I feel more secure each day'

'I am even-tempered and emotionally well balanced'

'I am at ease with the myself, and at ease with othe people'*

'I let go of all fear and doubt, and life becomes simple and easy for me'**

'I create a stress-free world for myself'*

* good for anxiety/stress/panic

**good for depression

Say one of these repeatedly to yourself every day, it does help - better still write it down in lines x100 everyday if you want to punish yourself!! :hearts::bump:

Edited by hellnbak

From the book "Hey Nostradamus" by Douglas Coupland (an excellent novel by the way which does address depression)

If I've learned anything in twenty-nine years, it's that every human being you see in the course of a day has a problem that's sucking up at least 70 percent of his or her radar.

Edited by rolling thunder

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone, For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth, But has trouble enough of its own."

That's a great one chubbs, and familiar to me, but who said it?

Even the sad old earth has troubles.

Now i feel worse, actually.......... :hearts: but it's still a good quote, just wish it had a positive after effect, but it calls for more thought, and anyway that's just my state of mind at the moment coming thro, sorry

Edited by hellnbak

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."

-- Confucius --

"Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain.

But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain."

-- Kahlil Gibran --

"When you're depressed, it makes a lot of difference how you stand. The worst thing you can do is straighten up and hold your head high because then you'll start to feel better."

-- Charlie Brown --

• 3 months later...

a couple from great musicians i know of(thats about all i know about- i dont have many interests outstide of music. rarely watch tv or movies.)

"I'm a riddle so strong- you can't break me." - Layne Staley, indirectly talking from the point of view of depression, which he said at the height of his rather tragic addiction, which he died from, extremely depressed(it is considered if he purposely overdosed by people who know him.)

not a depression quote, really, but an inspirational one in my opinion:

"the power of love can only rule once we give up the love of power." - Jimi Hendrix. an awesome guitarist and song writer who obviously suffered from depression(had a song entitled, "manic depression."), and who again, tragically died on a drug binge- was high off his *** on acid and threw up in his mouth and couldnt spit it out, and choked. so sad.

• 2 months later...

More of a short verse than a quote but I find it inspirational enough to share. I had come across it in an old copy of the New Yorker magazine.

I May Live On

I may live on until

I long for this time

In which I am so unhappy,

and remember it fondly.

P.S. Sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this!

• 4 months later...

"It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

"Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism."

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events." ~Robert A. Heinlein (If we're doing quotes, then I had to use a Heinlein quote. Took me a while to find a relevant one.)

"It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

It's really sad that this is incredibly true. It has certainly got me through many, many nights...

"In a strange way, I had fallen in love with my depression. Dr. Sterling was right about that. I loved it because I thought it was all I had. I thought depression was the part of my character that made me worthwhile. I thought so little of myself, felt that I had such scant offerings to give to the world, that the one thing that justified my existence at all was my agony." - Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation

"I have studiously tried to avoid ever using the word 'madness' to describe my condition. Now and again, the word slips out, but I hate it. 'Madness' is too glamorous a term to convey what happens to most people who are losing their minds. That word is too exciting, too literary, too interesting in its connotations, to convey the boredom, the slowness, the dreariness, the dampness of depression." - Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin. " - Leonard Cohen

"Mysteriously and in ways that are totally remote from natural experience, the gray drizzle of horror induced by depression takes on the quality of physical pain." - William Styron

... and a bit more hopeful, and true for me :

"Art saved me; it got me through my depression and self-loathing, back to a place of innocence." - Jeanette Winterson

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that quite oftern be can feel hurt when we are critisised? and when we take the critisism 2 heart it can destroy ya!

So there is a quote that i kinda like -

NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT! not sure how said that quote now!

But i think its true!!! :hearts:

Loved the oscar wilde quote, tell ya what the mans a total genuious! a star !!! :flowers:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a quote by the late Nick Traina who was the son of author Danielle Steel.

Nick was a musician and manic depressive who was hospitalized many times for his illness as well as for drug addiction. He finally committed suicide from overdose at age 19.

" When I was a child my castle was my home. Now I walk down empty streets, memories and me alone. It's easier to burn a bridge than to cross it, to slip, give in, give up. move on and try to forget. More has been said in silence than could ever be spoken in words, secret's shared and promises kept and feelings that will never be cured "

" If one could only return to the bridges we've burned "

That last one was by me :)

Edited by wren
removed trigger (substance) per TOS