Sign in to follow this  
Winston Smith

Summer Passing By

While summer ought to be a time for relaxation and a chance to engage in endavours you otherwise have scant time for, I find it simply passing by with nothing happening.

I have been so depressed and have not really done anything other than going through the motions, reading books mostly, and helped some friends and family with work they needed done.

Now, I only have a few weeks of

Hi Winston Smith,

I´m sorry you´ve been depressed this summer. It´s easy to become isolated in summertime because everyone else seems to have so much fun.

I would engage in as much outdoor activity as possible, sports, swimming etc.

I would also take photographs - you might enjoy the beauty of nature much more and practice yur skills.

How about getting involved in charity projects? Find a support group for depressives? Some Twelve step groups can be excellent means of support and new friendship.

I´ll think of some more, hope this helps for now.

Good luck!

Edited by Violet31

Hello, Winston Smith!

Do you have any hobbies or personal projects you had to neglect back when you didn't have the time for them? That'd be the first thing to try, I think. If you're looking for people to interact with, looking up some local volunteering opportunities might do it, or something of the sort.

As for your limited transportation, maybe you ought to look at things within walking distance? If there's nothing there, extend your walking distance. Walking can be quite relaxing, after all, and it's a great way to spend time and notice things you never noticed before, which is always great. Even if it's hot, with a water bottle and maybe an mp3 player or just your own thoughts, it's easy to ignore the heat if you're walking at a leisurely pace.

Whenever I personally encounter this problem, what keeps me from doing most of the above is usually a lack of motivation. I find that watching some particularly uplifting or light, inspiring movie or show will help significantly with making me want to do things, no matter how hot it is. Maybe try something like that? Cheap comedies with predictable plots or anything else that lets you shut your brain off and just soak in the entertainment value tends to be best for me, but that's just my recommendation.

And if the heat's your major enemy around this time, then a swimming pool or a lake in the nearby area or some other spot to swim in can help. Or maybe an indoor arcade or a movie, or some other kind of air-conditioned entertainment?

If you're looking for stuff to do at home, then reading and watching movies and shows tends to be the limit of what I can think of. Maybe take the opportunity to take up a cheap, new hobby?

I hope something in there was helpful. Try to enjoy the rest of your summer! :smile:

mors

Hi Winston Smith,

You do not say if you are getting any form of treatment or support for your depression. If you are not getting any or if the current treatment is not effective , you really do need to see your Doctor.

When your mood is low in depression you will have little energy or motivation to do anything. However that is when you most need to do some activity, anything to break the cycle, go for a walk, cycle, sit in the sun, etc.

It is important to play our part is getting over depression and have a regular routine breaks the cycle of lack of energy etc.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Thanks for each and every suggestion. I do appreciate it. I shall try to incorporate more time outdoors into my daily routin. Photography is also a great suggestion Violet. I used to appreciate taking photographs but as with most everything else I lost interest somewhere along the way.

jimbow15: Thanks for your comment. I do not currently recieve any form of treatment, either through therapy or medication. My thinking up until this point has been that I would rather subject myself to and endure my depression head on than subject myself to any form of treatment.