Donate Now Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Panacea90

Wellbutrin & Buspar Combo ?

Hello fellow posters,

Currently I am on 300 mg Wellbutrin XL which has been working wonders for my depression and ADD, however I still have mild-moderate anxiety that remains despite this treatment. Under consideration is the possibility that this med has slightly increased my anxiety, but not by very much. So, I am visiting my psychiatrist next week and I am looking into an anxiety treatment to go along with the Bupropion. From what I have read, Wellbutrin & Buspar seem to be a well-liked combination. Any thoughts on this ? Buspar seems to be an attractive treatment as it is non-sedating such as with the benzo's, and apparently works well for mild-moderate generalized anxiety.

Also, I suffer from a mild level of chronic fatigue that the Wellbutrin has only slightly helped, so I was potentially looking into a low dose modafinil or methylphenidate treatment. Would , say, a Wellbutrin-Buspar-Ritalin combo be potentially effective ?

Thanks

:shocked: I can not speak with regards to the Ritalin . I am , however, on WellbutrinXl 300mg, and 30mg of Buspar daily, and have been for about 18 months. In my opinion, Wellbutrin increases anxiety in most people. I like Buspar because it is not a drug that leads to dependance like the Benzos , and is not sedating . However, Buspar does not have an immediate effect like the benzos. If you try the Buspar, give it a chance, a month at least. I have seen people post on here and other boards psot that it is not working, after having been on it only a few days. Greg

Hello fellow posters,

Currently I am on 300 mg Wellbutrin XL which has been working wonders for my depression and ADD, however I still have mild-moderate anxiety that remains despite this treatment. Under consideration is the possibility that this med has slightly increased my anxiety, but not by very much. So, I am visiting my psychiatrist next week and I am looking into an anxiety treatment to go along with the Bupropion. From what I have read, Wellbutrin & Buspar seem to be a well-liked combination. Any thoughts on this ? Buspar seems to be an attractive treatment as it is non-sedating such as with the benzo's, and apparently works well for mild-moderate generalized anxiety.

Also, I suffer from a mild level of chronic fatigue that the Wellbutrin has only slightly helped, so I was potentially looking into a low dose modafinil or methylphenidate treatment. Would , say, a Wellbutrin-Buspar-Ritalin combo be potentially effective ?

Thanks

So you find the combo effective ? I've heard good things about both meds together, with wellbutrin easing depression and buspar offsetting the ramped up anxiety of the wellbutrin.

Just a few more thoughts -

I'd also like to add that based on my research Dexedrine seems to have less peripheral side effects than Ritalin, and is more effective for OCD anxiety symptoms. If the Buspar works, my ultimate goal is to be on a Wellbutrin/Buspar/Dexedrine combo, provided that a low dose of dexedrine taken as needed helps my chronic fatigue/brain fog. I feel like this combo would work well as the WB would provide continual mood support, and buffer off any potential crashes from a stimulant like dexedrine, while the Buspar would work to offset the potential anxiety side effects of both the WB & Dex. Of course, this is all speculative and only experience can speak lasting words.

Just a few more thoughts -

I'd also like to add that based on my research Dexedrine seems to have less peripheral side effects than Ritalin, and is more effective for OCD anxiety symptoms. If the Buspar works, my ultimate goal is to be on a Wellbutrin/Buspar/Dexedrine combo, provided that a low dose of dexedrine taken as needed helps my chronic fatigue/brain fog. I feel like this combo would work well as the WB would provide continual mood support, and buffer off any potential crashes from a stimulant like dexedrine, while the Buspar would work to offset the potential anxiety side effects of both the WB & Dex. Of course, this is all speculative and only experience can speak lasting words.

Panacea, you said in an earlier post that the WB was working wonders for your depression and ADD. If it's working wonders for the ADD, why the need for the Dex? Would that just be for more energy to combat chronic fatigue? How long have you been taking WB?

I wonder if you give WB long enough if it wouldn't take care of the energy issues by itself. Sometimes we can't tell what's doing what if we start too many things at the same time (I'm definitely guilty of having done that. I'm doing that now with a Remeron and WB combo).

I'm thinking of asking my pdoc for some Buspar the next time I see him too, as the WB does cause some anxiety. I've also heard that adding low dose SSRI counteracts the anxiety of WB, and the WB counters the lethargy of SSRIs causing a nice symmetry.

It's all speculation because I'm stilling looking for my magic bullet.

Hello fellow posters,

Thanks

Hi,

I've been on Buspar for 17 years.

This is a mild medicine that has few side effects.

Buspar doesn't offer immediate relief.

It will take several weeks for this med to work.

Best regards,

X-ray

I've been on Wellbutrin for 2 months - it basically eradicates my depression consistently, but at times I still have low energy that I am realizing isn't directly related to the Depression - as my moods are now stabilized. It also helps with the ADD, yes, but when I have low energy I tend to have a more difficult time focusing and comprehending. It is always best to add one thing at a time & give it its due time to settle in your system - so next week I plan to tack on the Buspar and keep the Wellbutrin/Buspirone combo to see how that works. From what I understand Buspirone can help with concentration & energy levels as well since it affects dopamine, so that may be the answer with the Wellbutrin. If after a few months I am only left with bouts of fatigue, then I will consider starting a low dose of something like Dexedrine or Modafinil.

For now, my plans are in queue.

... From what I understand Buspirone can help with concentration & energy levels as well since it affects dopamine, so that may be the answer with the Wellbutrin.

I hope you'll post on your progress. I'll follow it with interest. I'm intrigued by Buspar too. My concentration and memory seem to directly correspond to my mood.

Yes, I find the Wellbutrin/Buspar combo relatively effective in my situation (without the benzo dependance issues) , Panacea. Greg

... From what I understand Buspirone can help with concentration & energy levels as well since it affects dopamine, so that may be the answer with the Wellbutrin.

I hope you'll post on your progress. I'll follow it with interest. I'm intrigued by Buspar too. My concentration and memory seem to directly correspond to my mood.

Edited by gaugreg1x

Alright so yesterday I got a script for 10 mg at twice a day ( 20 mg daily) of the generic Buspirone. Of course, it is way too early to make any judgments; this med will probably start kicking in at around 2 weeks and be fully working in 4-6 weeks. I can say however that last night after taking my 2nd dose I started feeling more 'freely' especially in the presence of others, whereas quite often in social situations i will constantly think of things to say which results in me feeling blank. That was most likely placebo, but i'll post my progress from time to time to update you all on how this combo is working.

Let's sustain a heartbeat for this thread.

Thanks for the update. I hope it goes well for you and you continue to let us know how you're getting on.

I myself added 10mg of Prozac to my 300mg of WB yesterday. I also take Remeron at night to help with sleep. The Prozac really seemed to take the edge off of the WB. On only WB, I am anxious and it seems not to address certain things. On Prozac alone, I am exhausted all the time, but somehow the two together made me feel pretty good last night. I never get too excited by feeling good for one day. Been teased by that too many times, but at least it was a hopeful sign.

Anyway, I'll look forward to your Buspar updates. Maybe it is doing for you what the Prozac did for me yesterday. If it just successfully takes the edge off WB without leaving you sedated (maybe even makes you pro-social), then I'd probably prefer that, because SSRI's, as we all know, have their own side effects that are troublesome.

Just 2 weeks ago I stopped taking Zoloft, which I was on since late March, with most of the time being on 100 mg. The zoloft by itself caused considerable fatigue/lethargy especially in the afternoons, in addition to derealization (very unsettling). While the tacking on of WB did somewhat reduce these side effects, they were still troublesome; thats why I bailed out on the Zoloft. Being on the WB by itself eliminated the derealization/fatigue issues, but ramped up the anxiety.

SSRI's just aren't my thing,I always feel like i'm in limbo between injury and satisfactory. Anyhow, hopefully this Buspirone adds flair to this Dysthymia/GAD treatment.

I totally know what you mean about SSRI's and lethargy. I just took the small dose (10mg) of Prozac to take the edge off of WB, and at least for 1 day, it worked without causing lethargy. Giving it another whirl today, so we'll see.

Checking in after one week of the Buspirone addition to the Wellbutrin: Starting yesterday I've noticed a very subtle reduction in anxiety, i'm not focusing so intently on the things that set me off. Today after pursuing a situation that normally would induce a moderate deal of anxiety in me, I was able to note that the symptoms seemed reduced, albeit still reasonably yet less present. Of course, it's been just one week, so maybe the medicine is slowly starting to have an effect on me.

I will report back in another week.

Buspar is much different than the benzos. It does not exert muscle relaxant effects. It also lacks the prominent sedative effect that is associated with the benzos. I really have not noticed any cognition issues. Greg

Thanks for the update. Just curious, does the Buspar affect cognition at all('cause to me, benzos do)?

Buspar is much different than the benzos. It does not exert muscle relaxant effects. It also lacks the prominent sedative effect that is associated with the benzos. I really have not noticed any cognition issues. Greg

Thanks. That's good to hear.

no cognitive impairment; if anything, it seems to have been slightly augmented as I am focusing less on my anxiety (so far). So far this medication seems to be on par.

Now almost 2 weeks into the Wellbutrin & Buspar treatment, and things are going quite well. I've noticed the conspicuous onset of Buspirone's effectiveness particularly over the past few days. My anxiety has significantly improved; I am not so nervous and irritable about the abundance of thoughts that usually set me back when in the present moment. Although there is still some anxiety of course in daily situations, I feel that such anxiety hovers around the levels of normalcy. One thing I would also like to note is that my social anxiety has so far almost completely evaporated quite often now. Apparently the buspirone takes anywhere up to 4-6 weeks to fully take effect, but so far I am liking what I am feeling. Lastly, my concentration levels have been the best since my memory can recall. The combo of Wellbutrin & Buspirone seems to be a slick match, especially for ADD.

Also, if anyone can tell me, is there any difference between generic and brand name buspirone ? I usually find that I myself could answer this, but for the sake of knowledge any input would be nice.

I'll log another update next week.

Wow, that's all fantastic news, Panacea. Happy for you. Particularly awesome that your social anxiety is much improved, and that your concentration is better. What I wouldn't give for both of those things to happen for me. Think I'll be asking for Buspar at my next appt.

This would have to be the best combo!

For god knows how long I have suffered from ADHD/depression and anxiety. Now at last I feel so normal I can not explain. With these two combos taken together is superior!!! For my condition you need to mix both. I tried and experimented with taking one or the other and this did not work.

Start off on a low dose and see how you go and up it if needed. At the moment I'm taking busper 5mgx2 and WB 75mgx2 this great for now later on might need to up but will see how things go.

And remember there are no side effects what so ever, a few at the start just mild headaches and thatnothing to worry about.

Please give this a combo a crack and bet money on it you will be back here telling me and others how amazing this combo is!!!

Thanks,

Shaun :)

I've been on this combo for 5 weeks now, and I have no reason to back down from it. The wellbutrin has been tirelessly battling my depression, while the buspirone has very noticeably eased my anxiety levels, almost 100 %. I am on 45 mg daily buspirone daily, being 15 mg 3x per day, with the once daily Wellbutrin 300 mg XL. It's funny when I re-visit situations that would typically shake some anxiety into my senses (primarily in social situations), and I find that I literally have zero anxiety at most times now. I find that I am taking my time and not thinking so hard towards things that can best be approached with a more casual/relaxed thought process.

The ONLY side effect that I think I may have, now that I am on 45 mg daily buspirone, is some memory recall issues. I do not get any anxiety from realizing this (as I normally would), but I would like to capitalize on a solution. It is a minor side effect, albeit the only one, but I find that when I am in certain situations where I would like to bring things up, I draw a blank. Again, it's funny that I feel no anxiousness about this, because before this would have spurred that on, eventually leading to more depression. Now it is more like I acknowledge what I think is a side effect, and I simply would like to reduce it. Also, the Wellbutrin's stimulating effects have seemed to diminish, leading me to a bit more fatigue during the day now (but with still a positive mood).

When I visit the GP in a couple weeks, I am thinking of asking about a tack-on of Provigil to this med-combo, as that would be solving the last of my issues. Any thoughts on this ? I don't want to reduce the buspirone dosage, as it is perfect for me, so another solution such as the modafinil would maybe work ?