Anyone Still Use Serzone (nefazodone)

I heard some good things about Nefazodone, being good with depression, with low incidence of weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Although the brand name 'Serzone' has been discontinued from the manufacture to liver concerns, the generic is still widely available. Anyone on it can comment? Is it safe to use as long as you get liver tests every six months? Or is it really have a problem where the liver just automatically gets damaged (no symptoms before hand)?

• 2 weeks later...

I heard some good things about Nefazodone, being good with depression, with low incidence of weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Although the brand name 'Serzone' has been discontinued from the manufacture to liver concerns, the generic is still widely available. Anyone on it can comment? Is it safe to use as long as you get liver tests every six months? Or is it really have a problem where the liver just automatically gets damaged (no symptoms before hand)?

I take 375 mg daily and have had good results. I also take 150 mg Wellbutrin XL with it. I do liver tests every six months and no issues so far.

Hi scottybear,

Serzone does have a problem with liver failure and or dysfunction and you do need regular live function tests. It is not widely used and is unrelated to any of the other ADs. Best Wishes

Jim Bow

• 6 months later...

I've used Serzone/Nefazodone, for over ten years and it works better than any other antidepressant I've tried. My side effects have been slightly suppressed sex drive and sense of smell, short-term memory loss and a bit of blurred vision (although I'm already near-sighted anyway). But as others have said, there's no weight gain.

The liver function problem has been overblown and I've had both doctors tell me this and I've read about it.

QUESTION: now that I have no health insurance and can't afford retail pricing, can anyone tell me where to get it at a reduced rate? I've searched and searched, but most of the special programs I've seen don't include this drug. I'm able to get my thyroid and birth control meds for very reasonable rates, but not Nefazodone. I'm also trying to find out who manufactures it. Does anyone know? Bristol-Myers Squibb dropped it.

Thanks so much.

My suggestion is to try Mirtazapine for me this has been the first med I've taken that works. I wish I'd taken it earlier as it would have helped a tonne!! Seems to stave off panic attacks etc and is generally good for motivation etc. Of course depends how bad your depression has got. Oh yeah and f SSRIs in my experience they're total horsesxxx!!!

I heard some good things about Nefazodone, being good with depression, with low incidence of weight gain and sexual dysfunction.

Are you also looking for a low-weight gain med as well then?

If so mirtazapine (remeron), which has been mentioned as well, is out. It is listed as an at least 1 in 10 chance of weight gain.

Edited by HelenLlama

• 2 months later...

Serzone has gone genedic as Nefazaxone. The lived thing was way over blown, but my doc still has me take bllod test for.my liver once year, but a lot of that is due to.other meds I take. It has less sexual side effects than other SSNR's. Even generic it is still expensivev. Weigbt gain was not an issue for me. I have been taking it for ten years, but I now also have a VNS.

• 10 months later...

Serzone has gone genedic as Nefazaxone. The lived thing was way over blown, but my doc still has me take bllod test for.my liver once year, but a lot of that is due to.other meds I take. It has less sexual side effects than other SSNR's. Even generic it is still expensivev. Weigbt gain was not an issue for me. I have been taking it for ten years, but I now also have a VNS.

I agree with you about the dangers of Nefazodone being over blown. My doctor said the same. I used it for about 30 years and it worked well with no liver problems. Only changed to Remeron recently because it seemed to stop working, but may go back on. See my other post about Remeron for more details.