Sign in to follow this  
ConfusedBob

I Think I Have Bipolar Disorder...

Hi everyone,

I think I have Bipolar Disorder, possibly type 2.

I have had various experiences of hypomania, aswell as a lot of the other symptoms, however for the moment I've only been diagnosed by my therapist of suffering from "depression".

On my first therapy session we covered all the deppressive times of my life, and when asked if I ever came up with business ideas or 'important plans' I downplayed it and moved the conversation on... in all honesty I have a track record of doing this when I'm feeling 'high'.

I was then put on Citalopram, which in the leaflet states that you should tell your doctor if you've ever suffered any manic/hypomanic episodes... I believe I have...

How do I approach this with my therapist/doctor? I don't want them to feel like I'm trying to do their job for them... but I really think I might have this looking back at my life...

Also, what would happen if I took citalopram and was at risk of manic episodes?

I just don't know what to do :-/

Hi ConfusedBob,

I completely understand about downplaying the manic times. I did the samething for years. I think mainly because I didn't notice them until I started looking for them. I just thought I had "mood swings" like any normal person.

In my opinion you need to tell you dr everything. Tell them how you think you downplayed the manic times and see what they have to say. If you feel there is something wrong or not correct with your care bring that up to the dr. Afterall how else are they going to know so they can treat you correctly. I did have problems with some meds and not others so as far as the Citalopram I don't know what will happen. However when I had med problems the minute something wasn't right I called my dr and let them know. Mine would normally squeeze me in that day but no matter what they need to know.

I hope this helps. I had a very hard time with finding the right treatment and diagnosis. I ended up on many meds and in the hospital a few times. But I have learned to tell my dr everything. My counselor even keeps in contact with my dr just in case he sees something she should know about. And finally after a long time I feel stable...

Bob...

Call your doctor ASAP to let him know. You don't want to mess with this.

When I was diagnosed with BP, I didn't want to accept it, so I went to another pdoc. This one also caught on and gave me the same diagnosis. Still not wanting to be "classified" as bipolar, I went to yet another pdoc and lied about the hypo-mania I experience. He prescirbed me a high dose of anti-depressants which made me soar. I did some crazy things that I am not proud of and spent more money than I had.

Please be honest with your doc. They're there to help!

How do I approach this with my therapist/doctor? I don't want them to feel like I'm trying to do their job for them... but I really think I might have this looking back at my life...

I can relate to that. I don't like to feel like I'm telling the professionals what to do either, but after spending nine years being over medicated and possibly misdiagnosed I learned (the hard way) that if I don't speak up a little when I need to I would just end up more frustrated and lost when I didn't have to be.

Hi everyone,

Thanks very miuch for getting back to me!

Against my negative thoughts I thought I'd give taking one of the tablets a go.

Weeelllllll.... I'm not sure if it's the tablet or if it's just my mood taking a turn but about noon-ish I began to feel full of energy - something that is not normal for me at the moment - I can barely get out of bed and do things at the best of times!

So, today's been a good day, I've went a walk with my mum and the dog, which I've not done in ages and also felt like going shopping, but I can't afford to at the moment and as hard as it is, I am trying to remind myself this before going out and spending my overdraft(!) Although I have been looking onine but not bought anything!

I just don't understand it, as it is said that the neds take 2+ weeks to work, so it shouldnt be them - but then again could it be a reaction due to my concerns - or could it even perhaps be mind over matter?

I feel full of energy (as if it's flowing through me in a way too), irritable at times, I'm talking quickly at times and feeling quite happy, I've also been quite restless and found myself pacing the floor. I've also not thought much about my problems either which could perhaps be one of the reasons for my good mood and energy?

My therapist left me a voice mail, so I'm going to call her tomorrow and mention this to her aswell as arranging an appointment for next week (she called requesting that I go for an appt for some reason).

Hi everyone,

Weeelllllll.... I'm not sure if it's the tablet or if it's just my mood taking a turn but about noon-ish I began to feel full of energy - something that is not normal for me at the moment - I can barely get out of bed and do things at the best of times!

So, today's been a good day, I've went a walk with my mum and the dog, which I've not done in ages and also felt like going shopping, but I can't afford to at the moment and as hard as it is, I am trying to remind myself this before going out and spending my overdraft(!) Although I have been looking onine but not bought anything!

I just don't understand it, as it is said that the neds take 2+ weeks to work, so it shouldnt be them - but then again could it be a reaction due to my concerns - or could it even perhaps be mind over matter?

I feel full of energy (as if it's flowing through me in a way too), irritable at times, I'm talking quickly at times and feeling quite happy, I've also been quite restless and found myself pacing the floor. I've also not thought much about my problems either which could perhaps be one of the reasons for my good mood and energy?

My therapist left me a voice mail, so I'm going to call her tomorrow and mention this to her aswell as arranging an appointment for next week (she called requesting that I go for an appt for some reason).

Hi Deepster,

I'm curious as to why you have quoted my post, without any sort of a reply?

I don't mean to be confrontational or anything, just curious.

:)

Edited by ConfusedBob

Hi everyone,

The high energy and irritability are the two most distinctive things for me to recognize when I'm manic. Before I knew I was bi-polar, I would spend nights pacing around my house because I had so much energy and felt so restless. But atleast you know not to shop when your manic. I bought a 700 dollar telivision once on a manic episode. And the irritability is terrible. I didn't understand why I was so short with everyone. It's like everyone else was going to slow and that drove me nuts.

But definately tell your doctor about the high energy, talking too fast and the irritability. Those are all the same things I felt before I was put on a mood stablizer.

Sorry about having done that, I did post a reply, but somehow ended up deleting it and leaving only your post. I just got home from work, but I will post a relply.

Sorry about the confusion! I am in the midst of a job transition and just have so many things on my mind I'm struggling with being "mindful".

Warmest Regards!

Deepster

Sorry about having done that, I did post a reply, but somehow ended up deleting it and leaving only your post. I just got home from work, but I will post a relply.

Sorry about the confusion! I am in the midst of a job transition and just have so many things on my mind I'm struggling with being "mindful".

Warmest Regards!

Deepster

Hi,

ahh no problem! I guess now is as good a time as ever to mention that I can be quite paranoid at times.

I hope your job transition is going well :)

All the best!

Bob :)

The high energy and irritability are the two most distinctive things for me to recognize when I'm manic. Before I knew I was bi-polar, I would spend nights pacing around my house because I had so much energy and felt so restless. But atleast you know not to shop when your manic. I bought a 700 dollar telivision once on a manic episode. And the irritability is terrible. I didn't understand why I was so short with everyone. It's like everyone else was going to slow and that drove me nuts.

But definately tell your doctor about the high energy, talking too fast and the irritability. Those are all the same things I felt before I was put on a mood stablizer.

Yeah, I've had my moments where I've been, what I suspect to be hypomania... I've been full of energy, full of talk, planned to leave work and open a chip shop; leave work and open a bar. Start x business start y business... Times when I've spent far too much money shopping, gambling buying impulsive items: Skateboards, 2nd guitar (can't even play!), lot's of clothes I can't afford (once I bought three of the same trainers in different colours) because they were on sale! I even had to stop visiting ebay because I became addicted to shopping on there when I'm feeling 'good'

It's basically just been ups and downs, I've done a lot of stuff on impulse when I've been on a high and now I'm scared to make any sort of decisions incase I'm not mentally fit to decide at the moment: anything from buying stuff to planning my future. I'm basically scared to plan my future incase I'm just acting on impulse again.

At the time I've felt that everything is right and my life is fantastic - and that it's all going to turn out great. Unfortunately this doesnt last as when I come down it all just crumbles.

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd jump on and let you all know how I've been getting on :)

On Wednesday I went to see my counsellor, she had called me shortly after my last appointment to make a sort-of-emergency appointment to discuss some things...

She asked me more questions and said that she thinks that it might well be something along the lines of manic depression and thatwith my consent she would have a psychiatric assesment set up(!)

To be honest I'm really glad... this is what I've been hopng for. I'm currently diagnosed with Anxiety and Major Depressive Episodes, but I really believe it's more than just that - as I've mentioned here I have incredible highs, aswell as the lows.

So basically I have a few questions, What do these assesments consist of? how long do they usually last? Can they give you an answer at the end of the appointment? or does it take some weeks to assess the results?

I'm eager but nervous about what the results might say, I was extrememly honest with my counsellor at the last appointment and she has written down a lot of notes that she'll pass on to the psychiatrist too.

CB

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd jump on and let you all know how I've been getting on :)

On Wednesday I went to see my counsellor, she had called me shortly after my last appointment to make a sort-of-emergency appointment to discuss some things...

She asked me more questions and said that she thinks that it might well be something along the lines of manic depression and thatwith my consent she would have a psychiatric assesment set up(!)

To be honest I'm really glad... this is what I've been hopng for. I'm currently diagnosed with Anxiety and Major Depressive Episodes, but I really believe it's more than just that - as I've mentioned here I have incredible highs, aswell as the lows.

So basically I have a few questions, What do these assesments consist of? how long do they usually last? Can they give you an answer at the end of the appointment? or does it take some weeks to assess the results?

I'm eager but nervous about what the results might say, I was extrememly honest with my counsellor at the last appointment and she has written down a lot of notes that she'll pass on to the psychiatrist too.

CB

My evaluation lasted about an hour and a half. It's pretty much just answering a bunch of questions and they can usually figure out what your suffering from by evaluating your answers. Just answer as accurately as you can and if there's anything you can't really answer or you don't really remember it's not a big deal. I had a diagnostic at the end of my first evaluation but it's changed from depression to bi-polar disorder since then.

Edited by droptheice

So does this mean that therapists/psychologists can conduct these tests if they offer that kind of service and not necessarily have to be from a psychiatrist?

So does this mean that therapists/psychologists can conduct these tests if they offer that kind of service and not necessarily have to be from a psychiatrist?

I'm no positive but I'm pretty sure it can only be a psychiatrist. I was seeing my therapist like 2 days out of the hospital and she was just there for coping methods. It wasnt until I saw my psychiatrist that the evaluation was conducted and we talked about medication. Therapists can't even perscribe medication but I really don't know for sure if they can do a psych evaluation. I assume not since it's really the psychiatrist that makes the diagnostic.

All of this varies apparently from state to state. In the state of NC, "clinical" pshychologist CAN diagnose your condition and then refer you to a psychiatrist who will prescribe your medications. There are even two states where clinical psychologists can prescribe medications.

It is likely that if you sat with a clinical psychologist for about 1.5-2 hours and were bombarded with questions, you were rendered a clinical diagnosis directly from the DSM IV, and now a prescriber will take over. A "non-clinical" psychologist cannot in general offer you a diagnosis, but may work closely in conjunction with your psychiatrist.

Check out your state's requirements, and post in the "Psych 101" forum under this topic.

Warmest Regards,

Deepster