Sign in to follow this  
Lui

Feelings Of Shame With Going To Therapy

I am due to start therapy but I feel ashamed about this. I feel immature and childlike, having people, especially older people I care a great deal about, telling me that I need to get help with my feelings and emotions surrounding what has happened to me.

I feel like I am being judged for being emotionally inept and I feel stupid, like I am a child who needs to be told what to do and reassured all the time, or people feeling i need reassuring.

Is this a normal feeling? I know i need help, but i feel so low on myself for having to need it. I am worried people are going to hold it against me and always believe i will always need help and will never be able to truly get over it no matter how hard I try.

Anybody had therapy and been so successful that they can deal with anything now, that they are fully recovered so to speak.

I need some moral support!

Hi Lui

Good for you for getting up the courage to start therapy. It is really normal to feel scared, emotional and even embarrased about it, we all go through that. If you have the right therapist and you connect you will soon get past those feelings and realise they do not judge you, think you are stupid or anything else, they are there to help you.

Therapy hasn't "Cured" me, but it has helped me to learn how to cope with my feelings and behaviours a little better than I was.

Best of luck, let us know how you go.

Shades

Edited by Shades of Black

Hi!

I'm definitely not recovered, but I feel your pain. For the longest I felt like having a therapist amounted to paying someone to care about me and fix problems that I should be able to fix on my own. All that mentality did was prolong my condition, because the fact was I couldn't do it on my own. I've heard MANY success stories that motivated me to seek help, so if you need them for encouragement they are definitely out there. You'd be surprised at how many people suffer from a variety of mental issues that they have a hard time overcoming. I think there is such a stigma with it that many seek help but choose to keep it a secret. I've noticed it even in my husband, who thought you had to be suicidal or the like to seek professional help. I am not, but now that I am making progress with my Dr, he is considering going to speak to someone himself just to tweak some mild anxieties...and he is actually rather mentally balanced. I'd say it takes a great amount of gumption to do what you're doing, so you're stronger than you realize.

Good luck to you! :shocked:

Hi Lui

There is nothing at all to be ashamed about with therapy, but what you are feeling is natural.

Personally, I think just about anyone can benefit from therapy, it is an experience that can help you grow.

I had a wonderful therapist, who completely changed my life and I can quite honestly say that I am the happiest I have ever been in my life and yes, I am able to deal with anything. So you would say I am a success case.

Trace

Thank you again Trace, I honestly feel I will come out of this shining but it is a scary process. My first session is Friday, and I am planning on taking in a portfolio of my life, issues and where i want to go and how i feel i want to do it... big start i say :)

xx

Good Evening,

I have felt what you are feeling. While being there with her those thoughts are out the window and even after but the night before going to therapy all those feelings would come on me and i'd have anxiety about going. I've had a hard time telling her the bad stuff, such as my lowest points but a year and half later of therapy i handle things 75 percent better, i can now get thru a full day of work without getting nervous. Though therapy has not completely cured me it has brought me a long way!

Good Luck on Friday, if you have the right therapist it will be a good experience, i was scared to go the first time to but now i enjoy going.