Sign in to follow this  
Snowflake814

Giving Up On Medication???

I have been on and off so many different AD. I am at my ropes end when I say I have tried them all. I have never been happy on any of them, either because of the side effects or they did not help me. It's been about 20 years and now I have decided to stop taking AD's for good. My last meds were 40 mg. prozac and 450 wellbutrin. I have stopped for about 3 days now and so far, I feel fine. Not great, but just okay. I feel my libido coming back, which is a good thing. I've felt dead for the longest time and I am tired of it. Hopefully, I will be fine without the meds. I was once hospitalized for a suicide attempt, but that was about 10 years ago. I wonder what will happen now? I am looking forward to a positive experience. Any one else out there who has just given up on meds? What has your life turned out to be like?

Guest iowa

Hi Snowflake, I'm glad that you aren't experiencing withdrawal side effects from stopping your medications. I too had been on every SSRI, SNRI and "other" antidepressant. My last med, Cymbalta, stopped working for me, so about a month ago I stopped taking it. I've started taking 1000 mg. of purified fish oil. I also had my vitamin D level checked because a deficiency can contribute to depression. It was indeed low, so I now take a suppliment for that.

I'm also practicing mindfulness which helps me a great deal. I've decided that I need to do whatever I can to stay well. Please keep us updated on your progress and what, if anything, you are doing to stay well.

iowa

I have been on and off so many different AD. I am at my ropes end when I say I have tried them all. I have never been happy on any of them, either because of the side effects or they did not help me. It's been about 20 years and now I have decided to stop taking AD's for good. My last meds were 40 mg. prozac and 450 wellbutrin. I have stopped for about 3 days now and so far, I feel fine. Not great, but just okay. I feel my libido coming back, which is a good thing. I've felt dead for the longest time and I am tired of it. Hopefully, I will be fine without the meds. I was once hospitalized for a suicide attempt, but that was about 10 years ago. I wonder what will happen now? I am looking forward to a positive experience. Any one else out there who has just given up on meds? What has your life turned out to be like?

I have been on different medications for depression and ADD , in the past and I cannot even remember which ones. (Zoloft, Prozac, Adderal Stratera ??) I have not continued, mostly because I had not noticed any improvement in my ADHD, nor depression. The only effect that I noticed was that the meds interferred with my ability to maintain an errection. I am stilll depressed, and still have problems with concentration.

On a postive note, I have discovered that I sometimes gain more of a benefit from regular exersize, like bicycling, than from medication. I don;t like taking medication, but I am tired of being depressed.

Hi, Snowflake. :shocked:

So, the meds have never worked for you? Or is it just that the side effects are unbearable? If the former, then I don't know if being off of meds will make that big of a difference. If you feel like you ever need to take something, maybe you could look into natural remedies. Meanwhile, it might be a good idea to closely monitor yourself and if things seem to take a turn for the worse don't hesitate to seek professional help.