Sign in to follow this  
SADwinter

Did You Gain Weight Taking Lexapro?

Please help, I'm terrified of gaining weight. I am 5ft6 and a half and weight 131 lbs and gained 2lbs so far and only been on this med for a week. As far as feeling better so far on the med...not really. :shocked:

Hi SADwinter

There are people who do experience weight gain. If you keep as active as possible, make a few lifestyle changes and eat a nutritious diet, it will help you keep it in check.

Exercise is not only great for stopping weight gain, but also it helps with depression.

If you give the meds a little more time, you will eventually start to feel the benefits of them.

Trace

I did a little research into this myself. First of all, lexapro claims to be 'weight gain free' which means the actual med itself should not somehow change your metabolism or appetite in such a way that weight gain is likely to happen.

However there are plenty of people who swear lexapro has made them gain weight. Often it's nothing that substantial. This may be because during depression they had poor appetites.

I would take peoples testimonies with a grain of salt. People will tend to blame everything on earth before they blame themselves when it comes to weight gain.

Lexapro can take up to six weeks to work, so hang in there.

I did a little research into this myself. First of all, lexapro claims to be 'weight gain free' which means the actual med itself should not somehow change your metabolism or appetite in such a way that weight gain is likely to happen.

However there are plenty of people who swear lexapro has made them gain weight. Often it's nothing that substantial. This may be because during depression they had poor appetites.

I would take peoples testimonies with a grain of salt. People will tend to blame everything on earth before they blame themselves when it comes to weight gain.

I've been on it for over a month and haven't gained but I have also tried to eat healthier and do some exercise each day to manage my anxiety and depression..so that may be why.

I have been on Lexapro for about 3 years now and I can tell you that it has changed my life. I went on Lexapro because my anxiety causes me to eat. I gain weight very easily too and I workout all the time! I'm 5'10 and 175 pounds. After taking Lexapro I can honestly say I did gain weight but I don't think the Lexapro is what caused it. I'm on the road to losing my weight again. Before Lexapro I would beat myself up over eating too much and then binge exercise it away. when my body broke down from too much exercise, I would rebound by eating. It was a vicious cycle that I continue to battle. Lexpro has helped me to get past that 'not good enough' feeling. I am much more honest about my eating/exercise disorder now, something I would have never told anyone about before. If you are debating on taking Lexapro, I say give it a shot. I don't think it caused me to gain weight at all because I'm much more in control of what I eat now than I was before.

And like everyone else said, it takes a while before you really notice a change. After about 2-3 months on Lexpro, I felt 'happy' about life again. My fear of 'not being good enough' and perfectionist attitude was causing my to cry and worry all the time. I slowly started feeling more positive about life which now has led me to seek help from others at my church and not feel ashamed. Please stick with Lexapro for at least 3 months to see if it works for you.

I did stop taking Lexapro for a few weeks back in October due to a staph infection I had and drug interactions with Zyvox. Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how much my old self started coming back in as little as 1 week off the drug! I am so grateful that I can continue to take Lexpro and that it is working for me. Good luck to you!

Yes, I have gained weight on Citalopram, over 20 lbs, and although I feel better overall, I am getting off of this drug. I cannot afford to gain weight like this. I feel quite disgusted with my weight at the moment. I do not care if the drug manufacfurer says this is weight neutral, it is not for me. I doubt you (100percentironchef) know much about weight gain and medication. I sure do now after being in the military for 16 years.