How do you know when it starts to work??

Guest sarah-nicole

Guest sarah-nicole

Hi,

I am just wondering how I would actually be able to tell that the prozac is doing it's work?

It's been 4 weeks and 2 days and I have never felt this bad before.

Maybe it is because I am taking major decisions on my eating disorder, but I also think that I am not feeling any different. The negative thoughts are still there and I feel very down and depressed.

I will see my psychiatrist again this friday, I hope she will be able to tell me what to do.

In the meantime, I guess I just sit and wait.

I am so tired of being depressed and want my life back before it's too late.

Sarah-nicole :hearts:

(((((sarah-nicole)))))

I am sorry that I'm not familiar with your med details. Have you been at an initial, low dose for the entire 4 weeks? If so, maybe you will need a bit of an increase. On the other hand, some folks really can take up to a couple of months before the med is working fully.

It is so very hard to know, and the wait is one of the worst parts of treating depression, I think. It is important to go slowly, but at the same time you and your doctor need to work closely to be sure your depression doesn't overwhelm you before the meds are working properly.

I'm glad that you are seeing your doc on Friday; most likely s/he will be able to tell you better how to handle this.

To answer your basic quesion, the way I can tell that my AD is beginning to work is that some of my original symptoms do go away. My sleep is more regular, my severe sadness or feeling of being overwhelmed are less, and any suicidal thoughts go away. I generally still have a lack of motivation, which is a part of my depression that isn't very well-controlled by my meds. Each of us is different, of course.

I think that when your med is working properly, you will notice that whatever you symptoms of depression were, are getting to be less of a problem. I have noticed that this kind of sneaks up on me....I may not feel tremendously better, but in looking back to before starting my AD, I can see that my symptoms have improved at least somewhat. One other thing that helps me know my meds are working is that I've had other people who know me tell me they see an improvement.

Good luck, hang on, and let us know how you are doing!!! If you need to, call your doctor even before you appt Friday. You WILL get this under control!

Karen (ados, currently on in admin role)

Sarah,

You will definetly know when it's working, anxiety lifts, mood lifts. Mine came and went day to day. I have been on Prozac 20 mg since late dec and I just had my first 3 straight days of feeling great. From what everyone says it really does take time to kick in. I also take Wellbutrin 300 mg since Feb 2nd. Hang in there it will get better.

Tommy

Guest sarah-nicole

I saw my psychiatrist today....and no surprise there......we increased the dosage to 40 mgr/day. We'll see how that goes.

We talked about these past 5 weeks and how I'd been doing and I guess she figured out pretty quick that there were no changes in my mood yet.

I hope this way the prozac will kick in soon, I need it too. I need it too...

Sarah-nicole

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sarah-nicole

It's been 6,5 weeks since i started taking prozac and 1,5 since we have upped the dosage to 40 mgr/day......and still I don't feel any different.

I am loosing my patience :hearts:

Why isn't it working for me? I really need for it to work and somehow I feel like it never will.

I get even more depressed just thinking about the fact that prozac might not work for me after all.

If things don't change, we will increase to 60 mgr/day in 2,5 weeks.....what happens if that doesn't work....*sigh*

I'd rather not change medicine, I am too worried about gaining weight.

Let's just hope the prozac will start doing it's work soon :bump:

Sarah-nicole

Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to let you know that I just stopped Prozac 20 Mg and switched over to Lexapro. I took Prozac for about 10 weeks with nothing but ups and downs and severe anxiety. I switched to 10 mg Lexapro 5 days ago and feel better than I ever did on the Prozac. I don't know whether it's the Lexapro or stopping the Prozac but I think I'm onto something. I know everyone is different but may be worth a try.

Good Luck,

Tommy

I'm with these guys, Sarah. It's time for you to switch to Zoloft or Lexapro. It doesn't matter which one you try first, since either one is as likely to work for you.

I know you don't want to switch meds....but you've been at a high enough dosage for a long enough time to know. You should have had a PARTIAL response to Prozac by now. The reason you can take up to 80mg is because if you get a partial response at the 20, 30, or 40 mg dose, you may need up to 80 mg to get full relief. But that's not the case here. You are amoung the 60% of sufferers who have to try a second or third med. I had to try three myself before I found a winner.

It was very hard for me to admit that Effexor and Lexapro weren't right for me....I was afraid that I'd run out of drugs before I found relief. But you shouldn't have to go through months and months of agony! Switch now and start healing your head, that's my advice.

Do you suffer from anxiety with depression? If you do, I hope that you have a med for that, too.

Dan

Guest sarah-nicole

Thank you guys for your replies! It is nice to get 'inside' information.

And yes, maybe I should start thinking about switching to different medication........but wait isn't that my psychiatrists' job.....she gets paid for that!! :hearts:

Dan, no I don't suffer from anxiety....it's an eating disorder that is making it all so much harder to deal with.

I'll keep you posted,

Sarah-nicole

Guest sarah-nicole

Hi everybody, just want to update you on my prozac journey.

I have this feeling that since last friday ( 8 weeks after I started taking prozac) I am feeling a bit happier. I think it might be caused by the porzac because my situation sure hasn't changed. My work is still unsure and has actually been very stressful to me these last few days, lots of headaches and tension, my eating disorder is defenitly not fixed or anywhere close to that, eventhough I am fighting back and life in general hasn't changed.

But somehow I feel different, the suicidal thoughts are less and I can smile again at work and laugh at a joke. I almost feel a bit euphoric, I don't know. I am confused now and feel phoney. I tried to talk to my psychiatrist but she is on vacation for 2 weeks , great!!

I just wonder how I would feel without the prozac, is it the prozac?Why am I so confused about these feelings. It really feels phoney and fake, chemical, made........... :hearts:

I guess it is the prozac, and maybe I am feeling a bit better. But deep down inside I am hurting and struggling more than ever.

Anybody who recognizes this feeling????

Sorry, I'm jumping into this thread even though I'm a Lexapro user (not Prozac), but I sure do recognize that feeling! I was feeling that way about week 4, 5 & 6 of my Lexapro (at 10mg then). I told my dad I *knew* it had an effect...I *knew* I was laughing some, and talking to people more, but I just didn't *feel* happy...inside. About that time I went up to 15mg of Lex and that seems to have helped for the past week (of course once I get past the "honeymoon" stage of it we'll see if it stays this way). I definately feel things a bit more inside as well as knowing the external changes. I'm still not "there" yet, but I'm hoping over time I will be. Maybe Prozac is just a bit slower getting you stablized? It sounds like you're on the right path though! Hopefully you'll feel it "inside" some soon too. :hearts:

Killi

Guest sarah-nicole

Thank you Killian for your reply!

It is good to know that others have those feelings too.

It is driving me crazy. I can only hope that I will soon start feeling different on the inside too!

I guess only time will tell.....

Sarah-nicole

Hi sarah-nicole!

I'm glad you're feeling sorta better. That's always good news! Watch for steady progress with the prozac. (Actually, not STEADY progress...it will be a two steps forward, one step back progress.) But if you get to the point where you 'plateau' and quit making progress, by all means try another AD.

But a partial response is very good news!!!!! :hearts:

Guest sarah-nicole

Just when I thought the prozac was kicking in......I am feeling worse than ever right now. My thoughts are all over the place and let's just say it is a good thing I am meeting with my psychologist today!

I know she can't do anything with the meds and my psychiatrist is on a holiday, but still it is good that I am going to be talking to someone today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah-nicole :hearts:

Remember what Dan said a post or two ago: it will be a two-steps-forward, one-step-back process. Try to keep feeling a bit positive that you have had some good days, and wait patiently through the not-so-good ones. The good days will get more frequent, it just takes some time and patience.

I'm glad you are seeing your therapist today. Along with med, talk therapy can be a big help. Generally, the two together provide the best results. It will be good for you to deal with the thoughts you are having right now.

Hang in there! Let us know how your appt goes today.

Karen

Guest sarah-nicole

To make matters worse.......therapy got cancelled today :hearts:

*sigh*

Guess I can only hope tomorrow will be a good day and if not maybe sunday, or the next day....

Sarah-nicole

Start a journal on the blog page, sarah-nicole! You can make it private, for members only, public, etc. It's the next-best thing to talk therapy. I'd love to read more about you and that mystery part of Europe where you live.

Hope the day gets better... :hearts:

Guest sarah-nicole

Hi Dan,

thank you for the advice, i did start a blog and it has been very helpful. I made it private though, because it is mostly about my eating disorder.

But yes, it does help to write things down. It really does!

Sarah-nicole

Guest sarah-nicole

I went to 60mgr/day as of this morning........it will be my last attempt to give the prozac a chance!!

It has been 9 weeks ( 5 on 20 mgr/ day and 4 on 40 mgr/day)

I thought I had some effect last week, but have been a real mess this week. Let's see what 60 mgr. will do!!

Sarah-nicole

• 4 weeks later...

I am on the same coctail as you. I just started the Prozac 20 mg. Any input?

Sarah,

You will definetly know when it's working, anxiety lifts, mood lifts. Mine came and went day to day. I have been on Prozac 20 mg since late dec and I just had my first 3 straight days of feeling great. From what everyone says it really does take time to kick in. I also take Wellbutrin 300 mg since Feb 2nd. Hang in there it will get better.

Tommy

Guest sarah-nicole

Hi everybody,

I don't feel like starting a new thread so I am just going to post my question here, hoping that's okay!

So I've been on 60 mgr of prozac for a while now, a few weeks, and like Dan and others have mentioned before it a one step forward , two step back kinda proces......yes, I know that by now!!!

There are indeed good days and a bit more bad days and lately I have been wondering about the following:

I wonder if my thoughts can be stronger than the prozac? At times when I am really down, there is no sign of gthe effect of the prozac and my thoughts are terrible. It makes me feel like I ma using this meds for no reason, but on the other hand, I have some good days too, when the world is not all that dark and mean and life in general is somewhat okay.....

But still I can't help wondering if I (my thoughts) are stronger then the meds........does that make sence.

Are my thoughts and negative powers stopping prozac from reaching it is ful effect. I am just kidding myself and making it even harder by fighting the prozac with my thoughts??????

Or am I totally off track here and just feeling very very down today?

*sigh*

Sarah-nicole

I think you should discuss this with your doc. Maybe your meds need to be tweaked to be more effective, perhaps adding another med or some other change.

I hope tomorrow is better for you...