• Mid Teens
    • Late Teens
    • Early 20's
    • Mid 20's
    • Late 20's
    • 30's
    • 40's
    • 50's

I'm usually an up person but I can recall being depressed as a young child.

Edited by elad

Guest rw0

I don't really know???

The first time I was officially diagnosed was 2 years ago. But I'd been having the symptoms for quite a few years before that.

It was probably in my adolesence when I first had a lot of the symptoms that I now think were symptoms of depression.

I realized about 12 years ago when going to relationship therapy that I was depressed as a child. Probably started about when I was 7. I used to get these really sad feelings and not know why. A lot of it was my parents not getting along or my Mom drinking a lot at times. For some reason I used to get very depressed on Sunday nights (and still do occasionally). I just used to feel really sad about things and just not happy. Someone even told me when I was 11 that I always looked unhappy. I know I am depressed now. Like never in my life.

I realized about 12 years ago when going to relationship therapy that I was depressed as a child. Probably started about when I was 7. I used to get these really sad feelings and not know why. A lot of it was my parents not getting along or my Mom drinking a lot at times. For some reason I used to get very depressed on Sunday nights (and still do occasionally). I just used to feel really sad about things and just not happy. Someone even told me when I was 11 that I always looked unhappy. I know I am depressed now. Like never in my life.

Amazing how many of us started in childhood or adolescence!!!!!

Mine began after my mother's death when I was 13.

fishdamsel

I remember having an anxiety attack on my 5th birthday.... I left the b-day party and sat on the swings in the backyard, alone, because there was too much going on in the house. I remember going through periods of anhedonia as early as 7 (I recently discussed this with my older brother, and he recalled that I didn't want to pretend because "my imagination was broken," and "it wasn't real enough.") Pretty much I think the hardcore depression began around 12.

-WS

I remember being five and being late for pre primary. My mum led me to the class and I was crying and pulling on her arm. All because I didn't like everyone looking at me when I walked in.

Otherwise, I was a quiet, shy kid who had friends but felt disconnected and different.

But I was officially diagnosed/treated when I was 14.

I remember when I was little, 4 or so, and I would stoop down in a corner of the backyard and cry for long periods of time.

Bullies were constant and vicious . No friends ever. Many cases of unrequited love, over the years. Picked on by teachers.

Constantly have the big question on my mind, "What is wrong with me that I cannot see?"

Well, pretty much since I was maybe 9 or so. I have a horrible memory, but I remember being depressed when I was quite young. Then it really started getting bad in middle school and high school. My mom would tell me I used to be a different person. Hate that comment.

I wasn't ever really happy as a child..I made several attempts/plans to run away from home even then but always chickened out. My first big episode was around 10-11, kept getting worse till 14 y/o and then I just went numb. I got better for a while, stopped self harming, recovered from ed, started being kinder to myself. I was then depressed intermittently from 16-17 and am in the middle of a full blown episode at the moment (18). If I were to diagnose myself, I'd say I have dysthymia with periods of major depression.

I started feeling very sad & miserable at around 16, my depression seriously kicked in when I was around 19-20. I go up and down but the depression, the black cloud over my mind, has been with me ever since.

I would say mid-teens but I was always sad because no-one liked me and I couldn't see how I was different from other people. It was mid to late teens when I gave up hope I'd be okay when I grew up.

I think depression hit me in my mid teens, age 16. Though Ive never been a happy person, I was always the odd one out at school. Even at an early age. I was constantly picked on, and I became increasingly angry and violent as the years went on. Then I snapped around 14 and stopped caring and became somewhat aggressive and self destructive. I didnt physically harm anybody, though I came close. It was more about me harming myself on emotional levels, I became addicted to ruining my life by getting myself into trouble and becoming as whats perceived as "a rebel", if thats what you want to call it. But there was more to it than "lashing out on society because its what teenagers do".

Then at age 16, maybe 17 I started staying in bed all the time. Missing college etc, and I knew it was depression. I went to see a therapist probably went to 2 or 3 sessions, but I just couldnt motivate myself to get out of bed and go. Still to this day at age 21 I lack motivation that all normal human beings have to live their lives. Im somewhat ruined and there is no getting out of this hole ive dug for myself, I have only myself to blame and Im going to have to live with it for as long as I can. As far as I can see.

I was a "moody" child too, I would cry easily and be mocked for that.

In my teens I was lonely, always thinking about "getting my revenge", but I think those columbine kids went too far.

It wasn't until 19 that I gave up on myself, and was allowed to seek for help.

Before that my parents always thought it was teenage agnst, and there was no need for "those bullsht therapysts". Yeah right, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lol

First mild depression was around the age of 16.

I was a terribly depressed teenager.

First major and very intense and long depressive episode - at the age of 24.

Oh yeah, I am about to turn 29 in a month and the most terrible episode is the one that started 5 months ago and I'm still not over it.

I had 2 depression outbreaks within 1 year.

The first lasted only a month.

This one - even the meds can't fully make it go away.

Edited by Achelois

I was always wound up and anxious/unsure of myself as a kid, but the full depression hit with a bang at age 17. I'm 24 now and have had two more episodes since then. This time, I'm staying on my meds long-term in hope that they will keep the boogeyman away...

very unique question.. ive never actually thought about it until now.

mine was late teens..like 17 to 20 which I am now.

I think its because this is when I was starting to have to grow up.

and take full responsibilty for myself.

and becoming an adult is a hard adjustment to make.

For me it was in early teens. I was a happy child by nature, but external events made me depressed plus an underlying weakness. Depression runs in the family.