• Mid Teens
    • Late Teens
    • Early 20's
    • Mid 20's
    • Late 20's
    • 30's
    • 40's
    • 50's

I voted for late teens as it wasn't untill I was 18 that I went to therapy because well lets face it I hit rock bottom. If I hadn't gone for help I probably would have been burried under the ground a couple of years ago. But my first memory of depression was when I was 7 or 8. I am not sure as it was either my 7th Birthday or I was just turning eight. And then every few years a depressive faze would hit and I would go do sth stupid and just want to end it all.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think my first time being depressed was when I was 17, but it was blown off as teenage angst. I didn't get any type of help until I was 26 (I tend to have depressed episodes, it's not constant) and I was not diagnosed with depression until I was 31.

Interesting enough...when it came to light that I was having problems and had already seen a psychiatrist at college...my parents just flipped!!! One of the first things they told me on summer break was that they couldn't afford therapy for me. The sure didn't try to help me either. I never asked them for financial help either and could certainly go see one on my own. Their reaction just bummed me out and made me really NOT want to talk with them even more.

MEZ

• 3 weeks later...

Started when I was 17, though I didn't know it was depression then. First major episode was in my late 40's after redundancy and some other big events in my life. Last 5 years have been a rollercoaster. Getting out of depression and enjoying life for a while, followed by depression again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am fifteen nowadays, and I discovered and self diagnosed my depression about two years ago. However, looking back, I believe I have been suffering longer than I remember. (I say that because I have severe long term memory loss and so much of my life behind 13 has been lost.) I vaguely recall my first suicidal ideation and bad days around the age of nine, though, about the time my family shattered and I lost my good life.

• 2 weeks later...

What an interesting thread!

I've just been diagnosed as 'severely depressed' at the age of 29. They are saying it's just a temporary reaction to my circumstances, a one off, reactive depression. It IS reactive. But it's not a one off...

I'm keeping quiet about the fact that i've been depressed since my early teens. At the time, I didn't recognise what was happening, even thought I was 'choosing' to feel that way. Then I had my 1st major episode aged 19 at university and my first s****** ideations. Didn't seek professional help and somehow dragged myself through it. Except it never really went away, just lessened to a point where I could keep going, existing.

I've had two more major episodes since then, one aged 25/26 and this one, aged 29. Each one's been triggered by significant life changes/pressures I couldn't deal with. Finally agreed to help now, so hopefully this will be the last one for a while :)

Hi teal,

I do hope that you would decide to talk with your pdoc and let them know that you have felt this way on and off for years, it may help them in helping you better.

Hi Secret Mist,

I know I should 'fess up; it definitely would help my treatment and I will at some point.

I've briefly mentioned what happened when I was 25 to my psychologist and my GP did see me for 'work stress' at that time but I have to be careful about prejudicing my case employment-wise because Occupational Health are digging into my medical records as I write this; I suspect they're looking for proof that I'm 'unstable' and that the issues I'm going through now are not linked to the extreme pressure I've been under at school so that the authority can deem me 'unfit to practise'. My union says I've got to emphasise the medics verdict: that my current illness was triggered by the extreme, chronic stress of my job and total absence of support (which is true and well documented) so that my school can't absolve themselves of any responsibility for what's happened. When I get through all this OH c**p, I'll talk to my psychologist about why I keep reacting to major life events/pressures like this, when other people just seem to cope and get through it. It's definitely something I need to address.

Edited by tealtastic

childhood. i didn't know it's something, and it has a name, i just did what i was supposed to.

when i get a bad episode of depression, i feel again as that child, but with bunch of real-life problems now, and necessity to make decisions.

what's weird is, when i hit rock bottom, i can easily recall many memories of me as a child when i felt something similar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Castiel

I put early teens, as someone posted earlier, i thought it was just being young, hormones and certain situations too. It started after the drinking then my expulsion from school, and one thing after the other... you know how it goes. A series of unfortunate events basically. :shocked:

Guest bravetwilight

Around 13 I felt "different". I wanted help but didn't know what kind. Never heard the word, depression, used in my family and in adult life I was so busy that I didn't know what was causing my dread and doom that was always underneath the smile.

Had my first episode of MD at 21 but dismissed it and still don't know how I did that. I had several more episodes throughout my life but when I lost my career due to two injuries I experienced a horrible MD episode that went on forever. Got medical help and was able to function at a very low level. Many more breakdowns from 43-55. Am currently depressed but in acceptance of it so it's not as bad as it used to be.

I am 61 and would like to say to the young people here to start learning how to manage their depressions more. It is a medical fact that depression unmanaged in youth will get worse as we age. I am here as an example of that truth.

Oh....this poll isn't quite fair is it? I may be wrong but there aren't many over 50 here, maybe even over 40 so ......it is interesting though isn't it.

bravetwilight

My depression hit hard in my teens but I put childhood because I had been depressed since as far back as I could remember .. it just got worse during my teen years. I was always criticized and sick and weak and never was good enough. I grew up knowing that fact and it was hard to deal with. I thought it would get better but it didn't even after I got kicked out of the house at 18. Instead I felt abandoned and thrown away.

Bravetwilight, I would like to know if you have any advice for someone who is 36, based on your own personal experience. One thing I have learned is that we can help each other a lot more sometimes than the medical industry (I have been denied help by them back when I was 18 even though I KNOW I should have gotten help. It was one of the hardest times in my life and my depression still hasn't gone away even though I got over that initial pain of that experience. It is depression itself that hasn't gone away in general and today I am having a real hard time with life).

As I get older I think it is harder to deal with my emotions because I have buried them so that they don't interfere in my life. I try to be "normal" but sometimes I have to "escape" to cry without anyone seeing me. That is what I did today. The age thing is hard because I have now spent so many years doing this. I don't know if I will EVER be "normal"..

Edited by Aniela

Guest bravetwilight

Hi Aniela,

Thank you for acknowleging the difference in our ages. It says alot. I have always searched out advice and wisdom from older women and now that I am one, it feels good to be needed in that way.

What can I tell you at this point. I don't really know. First I would ask what kind of physical tests have you had done...like blood tests?

Have you had a full panel done on your thyroid and hormones?

You say you were sick as a child? Are you still sick with whatever it is?

I'm sorry that you are suffering and had the emotional neglect/abuse that you did as a child. I,too, can relate to that.

Other than the obvious suggestion of keep reading the many threads here and the articles pinned by the admin. I dont know what else to offer you until I know more about you.

I do want to say how much I admire your courage and bravery. It's not easy surviving emotional illness and especially in the dire circumstances you were raised with. Your endurance and survival is a testament to the strength of your spirit. I want to say, hang in there, but I know you already are. Just let me reinforce you with congratulating you for staying alive!

blessings,

bravetwilight

Edited by bravetwilight

Hi Aniela,

Thank you for acknowleging the difference in our ages. It says alot. I have always searched out advice and wisdom from older women and now that I am one, it feels good to be needed in that way.

What can I tell you at this point. I don't really know. First I would ask what kind of physical tests have you had done...like blood tests?

Have you had a full panel done on your thyroid and hormones?

You say you were sick as a child? Are you still sick with whatever it is?

I'm sorry that you are suffering and had the emotional neglect/abuse that you did as a child. I,too, can relate to that.

Other than the obvious suggestion of keep reading the many threads here and the articles pinned by the admin. I dont know what else to offer you until I know more about you.

I do want to say how much I admire your courage and bravery. It's not easy surviving emotional illness and especially in the dire circumstances you were raised with. Your endurance and survival is a testament to the strength of your spirit. I want to say, hang in there, but I know you already are. Just let me reinforce you with congratulating you for staying alive!

blessings,

bravetwilight

I haven't had any tests specific for depression or insomnia. They like to tell me everything is in my head if they can't explain it and don't do any additional tests anyway .. so I wouldn't expect too much from them so I just don't tell them. I try to deal with it myself. I want to get a thyroid test because I have been gaining weight steadily lately (over the past few months) and yet I am hardly eating so I don't get it .. I mean I am on Prednisone but still I don't normally gain like this .. especially since I have been on it for so long (unrelated condition). And I have been more moody than normal and unable to handle stress. So I do want to ask them for some testing.. I just don't know who I can trust to tell before they tell me it is all in my head again or that I am making it all up to get attention. I really hate that..

Yes I was sick as a child with an unrelated condition that caused me to have to have an organ transplant. I am transplanted right now (what the Prednisone is for). I know that anyone who knows what Prednisone is would say it causes depression but why lately is has gotten worse than normal with no dose change. I do think something else is the cause. So perhaps it is the thyroid ..

Thank you bravetwilight. You are the light in my day and the peace in my tossing and turning nights :)

Guest bravetwilight

Hi Aniela!

Psychiatrists and/or psychologists will not tell you it's all in your head. So I'm wondering where you are getting this idea. Parents perhaps? Whoever you doctor is needs to know that you are stuffing your emotional issues down and not talking about them to anyone. This is very unhealthy and will cause you more physical problems and depression in the future.

I would like to encourage you to speak up no matter what the consequences are. Someone is going to hear you eventually! Make an appointment today with your doctor/s and if your parents won't take you or belittle you for doing this, find another way of getting to the doctor's office. Tell him/her about this thought that makes you hide from talking about your emotional situation. If your parents really do say things to put you down or say ignorant platitudes that are meant to belittle you then they don't know what they're saying. They are not educated about emotional illnesses and have been taught themselves to believe that depression means you are weak and all you have to do is ignore it and it will go away! wrong, wrong, wrong. But they don't know that they are wrong. So again it is us, the depressed and sick, who have to teach those who are misinformed and arrogant about their opinions on this subject.

Alot of us who are managing and surviving depression often fall ill due to the social stigma that is attached to it. We, too, are socially influenced by all the crap that permeates our air waves about depression. We are taught that all we need to do is will it away. We are shown that depressed people are wack jobs and hollywood has used the stereotypical depressed person as a psychotic serial killer or twisted con man who eventually commits suicide...hollywood has really helped large audiences believe that anyone who is depressed is really "crazy". We all know that this is untrue and unrealistic here. Doctors know this too. But depression is a serious illness and it is life threatening so we must do everything we can to bring it out of it's stigmatized closet and educate people that it's not an illness to be afraid of. People who brush depression off as if it's a fly on a sleeve don't know that they are doing more harm to the ill person. They do not understand the emotional consequences upon the overly sensitive. In our times, it is the depressed who are surviving the illness who are educating the world of misinformed "normaloids". We do it by talking about what we are feeling and how severe it is to our family, our friends, but mostly to our doctors. It is the only way out of the hell we put ourselves in. Yes, we put ourselves in our own hell alot of the time because of the fears caused by depression. We fear judgment and being criticized cruely for what we feel and so we alienate and isolate ourselves in darkness or self-medicate with recreational drugs, or shop too much, or overeat or starve ourselvs, or start cutting, or or or .....

It will be one of the most difficult things for you to do right now but you have to start opening up more about what you are going through. If anyone scoffs or tries to put you down look them straight in the eye and say, [i/]what is the definition of depression and do you know the medical symptoms of it?---you should look it up before you sit in judgment of me and make me feel so horrible for what I am going through. I'm asking for help so get off my back with your own ignorant self and accept that I came to you to talk because you are suppose to love me, nurture me, and help me when I am ill. I am ill right now, please listen to me and then help me get the right kind of help.

Calm assertiveness usually works with people who love one another. This is hard to do when you're depressed but if you can, the benefits will be healthy and healing.....inevitably. On the other side of the coin, if you are received with more hostility and value judgment, then you are going to have to do the work of getting help by yourself. Look through the yellow pages for mental health programs in your state, in your town. Look up psychiatrists in your area on -line, pick one and then make an appointment and go. Start talking to someone who you know won't put you down for what you are feeling. Usually it will be a mental health professional.

Can you reverse your thinking more about being afraid of what people will say and in it's place think about how to get the help you need? Please. Create a space in your reasoning mind for thoughts that help you move forward, create those thoughts and don't be afraid of the positive energy you might feel when you think them. Feeling good thoughts can be just a scarey as the old dark thoughts. Think about possibilities, not probabilities! --if you can. If you can't then you need to get to a psychiatrist immediately...go to the ER of a close hospital. Cry, stamp, tell them that you can't think are afraid and don't know what to do. They should provide you with referrals to doctors but if you have a neighborhood clinic where tests can be done cheaply go there. I have found the neighborhood clinics to be more than helpful and they don't cost me an arm and a leg! They also understand that depression is an illness and should be able to help you connect with mental health programs and professionals. They also can prescribe if you agree with them that you need medication.

Please don't sit in the muddy thoughts that are obstructing your viewpoint right now. Stand up for your emotional health and you know what? you will be teaching people around you that depression is a real illness and it can be managed when helped by the right sources/people.... and you know what? lots of resistance usually comes from people who are stuffing their emotional issues and so they hide behind the socially acceptable idea that if you tell someone it's all in her head then they are the sane one, the ok one, the one who isn't crazy...telling you that it's all in your head is how they personally survive their own issues. They are doing what society says is right.....tell the sick person to stop making them feel so bad. We live in societies where we make sick people feel guilty for that which we do not know anything about. Especially when it comes to depression and emotional illness....and mental health.

:wwww: off the old lady podium now.... :shocked:

peaceful blessings for you,

bravetwilight

Edited by bravetwilight

i became anorexic at age 14,so that was when this s*** manifested itself.after that--all downhill.i self medicated with drugs & alcohol,got clean,had several nervous breakdowns,long bouts of major depression.....i hate this illness...i just hate it... :shocked:

The first time I think it was obvious was when I was in 10th grade but it was attributed to sophomore slump. However I made a suicide attempt when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I didn't have a clue what i was doing and kinda gave up. I don't what was going on at the time.

I feel it's worse now then it ever was when I was younger.

I am new to this Website and to these forums. I am supposed to be working right now, but I am wasting time on the Internet. I am severly depressed at the moment. In regard to this poll, I probably have been depressed at different times during my life, but did not really understand what depression was or new that I was clinically depressed untill about five years ago. I am 54 yrs old. Now that I understand, it still does not do me any good to know, however.