Did Your Parents Ignore Obvious Signs Of Your Depression?

back2basics

Growing up, I showed definite signs of social anxiety and depression. But my parents ignored it, never got me help, and so here I am, a grown up and totally messed up. I know there's a certain point when you have to take responsibility for your own self, but when you're raised like I was, it is very hard.

Finally I have sought out help for my problems, but feel I am so far gone that it might not even help much. And I am angry that my parents could have stepped in, gotten me help, and then maybe I wouldn't be so "messed up."

Yeah, I feel like that too. I think my parents want to help now, but I'm almost afraid to ask them to help because I first want an acknowledgement that they were there too, you know?

What is your relationship with your parents now?

Mine prolly just didnt understand depression/anxiety. The person who ignored my signs of depression was my GP. I would come in complaining about low energy, being apathetic etc and he did nothing. It was only after I made an attempt on my life that he did anything. I didn't know what depression was until then but he sure as hell should have.

Parents should be mentors,tutors and not leave their children on their own in regards to non-materialistic issues like emotions. I think I was left to much on my own, with a disregard to signs of anxiety and depression like you said. Now what can I do knowing this? At least understand myself better and break the cycle if I have children.

Parents should be mentors,tutors and not leave their children on their own in regards to non-materialistic issues like emotions. I think I was left to much on my own, with a disregard to signs of anxiety and depression like you said. Now what can I do knowing this? At least understand myself better and break the cycle if I have children.

I will break the cycle too, only by not having children at all.

Guest Sweetest1

My parents sent me for grief councelling when a friend passed away when I was 15, but not to a psychiatrist. Also my high school wanted to put me in "remedial" classes, parents insisted on testing, I was put into "advanced" classes instead and my grades improved. I still barely passed, however.

So, They tried to help as much as they knew how.

The first time I ended up in the hospital for drinking, my mom was so very concerned, but she was told that I was just being a normal kid experimenting. She didn't know I had been drinking for several years or how much. The second time, she paid for my rehab because my husband and I couldn't afford it. She doesn't know of the third time.

About five years ago, she became very concerned about my depression and suggested I go to therapy. Not to help me to not drink, but to figure out WHY I drink. That opened my eyes. I never really thought about it before. I did, but was scared, stubborn and unwilling and dropped that after a few months. Up until this current attempt to help myself with my depression, she has always voiced her concern, but knew I had to want it.

I think most parents, not all-but most, do care and want to help, but just don't understand or are not educated enough. It is up to every new generation to get the word out about mental disorders, to spread information and hope.

Growing up, I showed definite signs of social anxiety and depression. But my parents ignored it, never got me help, and so here I am, a grown up and totally messed up. I know there's a certain point when you have to take responsibility for your own self, but when you're raised like I was, it is very hard.

Finally I have sought out help for my problems, but feel I am so far gone that it might not even help much. And I am angry that my parents could have stepped in, gotten me help, and then maybe I wouldn't be so "messed up."

My parents sent me to a crummy therapist who was incredibly unprofessional. After that they gave up and went into denial, despite the severity and tenacity of my symptoms.

The depression was actually an early onset of bipolar II. I didnt get properly until I was 28. I feel great loss when I look back at my life--so much of it was swallowed up by intense depression. I wonder how I did not end my life during that time.

My parents did ignore it. They'd always claim that I was exaggerating things. I'd try to tell them about how I felt, and they thought I was overdramatizing it. They thought that someone with mental health issues would have to have their life in shambles or something, whereas I seemed to be a very successful and responsible kid.

I remember writing a whole essay on my depression, self harm and suicidal thoughts in grade 11. Nobody thought anything of it. I got an A+ though. That was the year of my first attempt and everyone said it came out of nowhere. I've still got it and recently showed it to my mother again. She got quite furious at herself and my teacher for not picking it up.

Edited by Chasing Sanity

My parents didn`t ignore it all.My mom made me get help for my bulimia and self injury in my twenties which was something that came along with my depression.I was definetly a depressed teenager but I put up a false front that I was okay.My mental illness didn`t become unmanagable till my twenties.So I don`t think my parents ignored it at all.

• 7 years later...

When I was 13 I started to cut myself. After two years my parents finally "found out" after endless clues. Like any teenager with depression I didn't want help and denied it and my parents accepted it, never looking into the possibility that their perfect child could have depression. Fast forward 5 years and I still sit in my room by myself contemplating the many ways in which to **** myself. Their denial of my depression will be the end of me.