Deplin Posts

Hey guys, I read that too but I took all kinds of supplements and nothing helped my situation.

Some people see an improvement with supplements.. I took things for anxiety and depression and saw no results..

Who gave you that your primary or psych?

Psych, only down side is that my insurance won't cover a "medical food" and a few months worth was like $200 and I can't tell if it's working or not so I'm not paying that much for some vitamin B9. 

• 5 months later...

Not for anxiety. I heard that it can make an antidepressant (SSRI I believe) more effective when used together. I didn't really feel a difference, still felt like my head was in a toilet, so I stopped using it. It's quite expensive for a fancy form of Vitamin B9. 

My cousin swears by it.  Her insurance stopped paying for it.  I found her a cheaper alternative where I live.  She lives in a small town that has limited shopping.  Please check with your local "natural" pharmacy or search online.  I took it for several weeks.  Hard to tell if I had improvement.  I was able to take a lower dose of meds and survive the holidays and early winter (my most challenging timeframe) I have decided to wait and take the test that checks your need for it.  Apparently the test tells your Dr. what certain meds (antis) will work for you and what you are deficient in.  This is the test my cousin took, she started Cymbalta and began methylfolate, she is able to take the lowest does of Cymbalta.  yes, my dream, to take the lowest dose of any medication!   My psychiatrist recommended we wait another two months to take the test.  We have upped my Lamotrigine and ceased my booster of additional anti-depressant.  I would rather take Lamo and NO antis.  the drying side effects of antis are horrible.  I can look into this info more but hope these limited deets explain something.  

My cousin and I have similar depression and similar constitutions esp. since we both have PTSD due to our siblings being handicapped and father's alcoholism.

So..... our journey continues and we both seek peace, ie  better living through pharmaceuticals !!!!! LOL

Good luck on your journey.  as always, sometimes it is trial and error when seeking Rx help !

• 4 months later...

Hi all. I have been suffering with treatment resistant depression for years. My psychiatrist had me do a test for MTHFR mutations and I have the homozygous a1298c mutation. My doctor put me on deplin (L-methylfolate) in addition to my ssri which is supposed to help but it did nothing. First I was on 15mg a day and then 30mg. Is there anyone else who has this mutation and tried Deplin but it didn't work? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Tennisgirl85 said:
Advertisement

Hi all. I have been suffering with treatment resistant depression for years. My psychiatrist had me do a test for MTHFR mutations and I have the homozygous a1298c mutation. My doctor put me on deplin (L-methylfolate) in addition to my ssri which is supposed to help but it did nothing. First I was on 15mg a day and then 30mg. Is there anyone else who has this mutation and tried Deplin but it didn't work? Thanks!

I bought Life Extension Optimized Folate: L-Methylfolate (as 6S-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid) which chemically does exactly the same thing as Deplin, it is actually basically the exact same thing, unlike regular folate. It's biologically active folate that crosses that blood brain barrier on it's own, just OTC, at a much lower dose, and a lot cheaper. I got it on amazon, and saw it on other online vendors. (Doctors would probably not recommend it since they can't monitor your treatment with it, they make no money from you using it, and for what ever reason would believe it's just normal folate, or simply not the same thing even though it is. I am cynical though)

I just sort of self tested myself by trying it without actually knowing if I needed it or not, because deplin manufacturers say way more people could benefit from it than they realize, and biologically it made sense to me, but it turns out I don't need it. It just made me feel zoned out/brain fogged, which is how I would get if I had way too much of most vitamins, therefore I'm probably already getting enough folate in my brain. It didn't augument my antidepressants at all, probably cause I didn't actually need it.

I guess what I'm trying to get at it, if the test said you needed it, you probably do. There is cheaper OTC stuff available to consider, although your doctors may disagree. Advice from some random person online(me) should not override what they tell you. 

Also I ended up having to try 6 different antidepressants before I found one that worked for me. It often takes 4-12 weeks before they are at their full effect. You you have to be patient. If it is making you worse, that's different and try to see a doctor right away, but if it's just not really doing anything, then patience is usually all it takes. If after that amount of time you feel no different there is over half a dozen different classes of anti depressants aside from SSRI's. Sometimes SSRI's don't work for some people and you'll need to try a different SSRI, or different class altogether.

I know it sucks to have to be patient, but don't give up.

Good luck.

After 11 years of trying every psych med in the book, my psychiatrist suggested genetic testing and I got the results back yesterday (right after getting out of the hospital). The only compelling thing, other than proof that SSRIs are basically not well metabolized by my body, was that my genetic makeup caused very poor folic acid conversion. She put me on deplin and said I'd basically have to take it for the rest of my life which seemed overwhelming. Anyway, the long and short is that I'm interested to hear your feedback after being on it longer. I will let you know if I see any change, though I'm assuming it takes a substantial amount of time to work? The only thing is that I'm making a major shift from Effexor XR to Fetzima at the same time so it might be hard to parse out the results. I'm also interested in this other brand because it's not clear whether my insurance will cover deplin. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am on Day 7 of Deplin 15mg daily.  I, too, had the testing that shows that I have the MTHFR mutation that prevents my body from producing methylfolate.
Not sure if I'm seeing anything, and hopefully there's still a chance I will see something.
I've read stories where people see almost immediate results within a few days, and I've read it sometimes takes a couple of weeks.
I'm curious to read more personal experiences.

Thanks!
           Ruuudy 

• 10 months later...

I'd been taking methyl-folate for a few years at 15 mg/ day. Along with Effexor xr, vitamin D, 4000 mg/day of fish oil, and methyl-B12, I felt better than I've ever felt. Then a year ago I started to feel kind of irritable and decided to reduce the methyl-folate to 400 micrograms/day, which is the Recommended Daily Intake.   The past six months I've been stuck in rut, not exactly depressed but definitely not well. The methyl folate is the only thing changed, so I think I need to return to a higher dose. I had my genes tested and have the MTRR mutation and several others. Deplin is one brand name for methyl-folate but there are others. Walmart now lists it in their pharmacy formulary.

23 minutes ago, piecework said:

I'd been taking methyl-folate for a few years at 15 mg/ day. Along with Effexor xr, vitamin D, 4000 mg/day of fish oil, and methyl-B12, I felt better than I've ever felt. Then a year ago I started to feel kind of irritable and decided to reduce the methyl-folate to 400 micrograms/day, which is the Recommended Daily Intake.   The past six months I've been stuck in rut, not exactly depressed but definitely not well. The methyl folate is the only thing changed, so I think I need to return to a higher dose. I had my genes tested and have the MTRR mutation and several others. Deplin is one brand name for methyl-folate but there are others. Walmart now lists it in their pharmacy formulary.

Welcome to DF, piecework.  :console:  I'm sorry you are stuck in a rut right now, but I'm glad you made your way here to DF. I hope you find what you are looking for.