Dreams

Saimi

And if you do dream, how often? What are they about? (Or what are the most recent ones you can remember currently in time.)

And most importantly what do they mean to you? Or if you are one to not dream at all I still would like your thoughts on what they mean to you.

For me a dream is your subconscious telling back to you events that it has recorded down, and which shows it in such a hidden way, it can then convey many meanings. But all of which really only one of them can have any meaning to you.

It's what makes them so shrowded in mystery, and a puzzle to try and better understand them, that makes it just one step further to trying to better understand ourselves.

Sigmund Freud has said on the subject in his book The Interpretation of Dreams, that 'There is a psychological technique which makes it possible to interpret dreams, and that on the application of this technique, every dream will reveal itself as a psychological structure, full of significance, and one which may be assigned to a specific place in the psychic activities of the waking state.'

That following passage and more about him can be found on Wikipedia, the library, and other resources :P

However I would like discussion on what your dreams are, what they were (if you can remember), and what they mean to you.

Guest Sweetest1

I have very vivid dreams, almost nightly. They can range over such a wide variety of topics that I would be here all day trying to list them.

I bought the book 10 001 dreams interpreted, and umm..yeah, my mind is just too messed up to be understood by anyone. LOL

This should prove to be an interesting thread, though.

Edited by Sweetest1

And if you do dream, how often? What are they about? (Or what are the most recent ones you can remember currently in time.)

And most importantly what do they mean to you? Or if you are one to not dream at all I still would like your thoughts on what they mean to you.

For me a dream is your subconscious telling back to you events that it has recorded down, and which shows it in such a hidden way, it can then convey many meanings. But all of which really only one of them can have any meaning to you.

It's what makes them so shrowded in mystery, and a puzzle to try and better understand them, that makes it just one step further to trying to better understand ourselves.

Sigmund Freud has said on the subject in his book The Interpretation of Dreams, that 'There is a psychological technique which makes it possible to interpret dreams, and that on the application of this technique, every dream will reveal itself as a psychological structure, full of significance, and one which may be assigned to a specific place in the psychic activities of the waking state.'

That following passage and more about him can be found on Wikipedia, the library, and other resources :P

However I would like discussion on what your dreams are, what they were (if you can remember), and what they mean to you.

Saimi-

I have experienced totally bizarre dreams my entire life. As a child they were "night terrors". I had them so severe as a child that often the town doc would be called to the house to sedate me, as I couldn't/wouldn't come out of them(BTW quite a few studies have linked this to Bipolar in later life). They were unstoppable, and yes, TERRIFYING!!!! Thankfully for me, I just learned to live with them, and they became nothing of great consequence to me. I still have dreams frequently that would probably cause many to question their sanity.....were they real or just figments of my imagation? I don't know. I did quite a bit of study on "astral planing" much earlier in life. What I do know is that I have over the period of my life become quite accustomed to them. They don't even have any significant effect on my sleep anymore. I can bolt straight up in the bed in the middle of the night during one of these nightmares, not lose more than a wink or two of sleep, and roll right over and fall back asleep with no problem, sometimes hoping the same nightmare will resume. I have actually come to rather enjoy them, because these dreams can be so terrifying yet so intriguing that I find myself in a state of curiosity rather than terror. Guess they are just some Wes Craven things going on in my brain, or at other times some sci-fi experience. So the "vivid" dreams that are SEs of many pschotropic meds are just "normal" for me. I don't give them a second thought as I already had them anyway.

As for can I remember them? Yes, most of the time. As for what they were, well, I'd have to be quite an accomplised writter or cinematographer to even make a stab at that question.

I've heard that our Trace/Adim here on DF is quite a dream interpreter. I'm not even sure I'd want mine interpreted, as it might spoil some of the mystery I find in them.

Warmest Regards,

Deepster

Edited by Deepster

Everyone dreams, several times a night. On average, you get about one dream for every 60-90 minutes of sleep, but you can even dream in naps shorter than 60 minutes.

Now, some people THINK they don't dream. This is because dreams are not usually being written into long term memory like waking episodic memory is. Even if you wake right after a dream, your brain usually does not even 'turn on' the long term memory center until being awake for several minutes. One consequence of this is that people can awake several times during a night and have no recollection of it the following morning.

To me, dreams are like a way of seeing the subconscious mind without filters. And if interpreted correctly, they can give some very important insight into my thoughts and feelings. The key to proper interpretation is to focus on your emotions in the dream, not the objects.

Edited by SecretMist

I've had a recurring dream since last year. I'm on an asteroid or Mars with a team of scientists and technicians, doing experiments and building infrastructures. Each time something goes wrong, an accident occurs in which I'm involved and I always feel responsible for it and don't handle it very well, and then I wake up.

I do feel anxious during the dream because of the hostility of the surroundings, where a small error can have catastrophic consequences. But I also feel enthusiasm and like I'm having fun doing extraordinary stuff.

I think it mirrors the my vision of the world as a hostile place, where nature and men are always close to trampling you somehow. I guess my confidence is pretty low. I'm also taking a path towards doing research in a scientific field, hence the science stuff and the excitement, and also the team work, since it's nice to have peers to talk to and collaborate on projects.

Trace is exeptionally good when it comes to interpreting dreams. The topic is in the Water Cooler, I recommend it to those interested in learning more about the meaning of their dreams. Also, there`s a lot of good literature on the subject. I am very interested in dreams and find that my own are very expressive and emotional, whereas my sister tend to dream more violent action oriented dreams. The difference is very interesting and we talk a lot about these. I find that myself in dreams is very vague. I can be a man, a child, a woman, all after the circumstances. It`s less colors, less "action", more emotions and details regarding the conflicts. My sister dream a lot in colors. And has clear images, but very little emotion. I often try to do my own interpretation, or like my sister say, psycho-analyse them. Of course, not being a psychiatrist I am probably way off, lol. Often we use symbolics and archimages (or what we`d call them in english). Sometimes it can be easier to see a pattern, sometimes it can be emotions or images completely not understandable. My dream did often in the past upset me. Especially when we went through my parents divorce and my fathers violent behavior. I used to dream about having to protect my family from danger. I believe that my sisters violent action filled dreams are mostly about how she has little connections with her emotions, and how she struggles to get away from the destructive elements of her past and in her own emotional subconcious realm. I dream emotions because they are so important to me. I need to be able to know and analyze my emotions on a regular basis in order to seperate the lies from the reason, in order to understand myself well enough to keep control and focus on recovery. I have as far as I know, a good contact with my emotional and subconcious realm, through therapy, so the "story" itself in the dreams are rarely important to me unless I struggle with understanding it or the emotions connected to them. But I can see a clear pattern though. I think that is important, seeing patterns in our dreams, as our reality rarely changes much in a short period of time unless we experience traumatic events or lifechanging events.

That`s why there`s often a pattern, or at least I believe it to be, it goes for both me and my sister. In my dreams there`s usually the conflict of need and ability (my need or others, my ability to help myself or others). In her dreams it`s about fear and escape. In mine it`s about solving conflict, helping others or save myself from harm through confrontation. Though of course I have the occational chaos dream where it`s all a confusing blur. But mostly that`s when I wake up and then fall to sleep again leading to the dreams mixing. If that makes sense :shocked:

ChrystalR

I've always had vivid dreams, but they seem even more so on meds. Sometimes they're so real that when I first wake up I think they are real for up to a minute or so. One night I dreamed my husband had died and I was laying in our bed alone crying, and I woke up crying, and it wasn't until I rolled over and felt him there that I realized it was a dream. Mostly mine are more action oriented though.

I have as far as I know, a good contact with my emotional and subconcious realm, through therapy, so the "story" itself in the dreams are rarely important to me unless I struggle with understanding it or the emotions connected to them. But I can see a clear pattern though. I think that is important, seeing patterns in our dreams, as our reality rarely changes much in a short period of time unless we experience traumatic events or lifechanging events.

That`s why there`s often a pattern, or at least I believe it to be.

ChrystalR

Currently at the time of writing this I had just awoken from a deep slumber from a dream. When I wake up from one I'am sure to try to write it down, whereas in the past I never really took notice to anything I had dreamt. I have also noticed that recently my dreams have become more frequent in nature, and the one I had today had the same theme of stating things about my past as yesterday's one had. All but todays one also still had a stranger I had met in the past which I had dreamt yesterday of.

But of course this 'stranger' (and by stranger, I mean someone I had just bumped into on the street sometime ago and only exchanged very brief words of no importance. Or maybe they were?) in todays dream, was completely shown to me in a new event and different light, and only appeared to me at the very end, of a cycle of dreams that had again appeared to me with the same context of things about my past. I was left with a voice saying 'When are you going to understand?' I then went to investigate what I had heard in the hallway of my house only to awaken to a silent house.

Now often (as I'm sure everyone is) I'm left with the question of what does it mean. But its not often my subconcious outright bluntly gives me the direct question.

I think that is important, seeing patterns in our dreams, as our reality rarely changes much in a short period of time unless we experience traumatic events or lifechanging events.

Quoting from what you said, I competely agree with this, although I had never looked at it this way before. One thing I do know is my reality is unchanging, but my thoughts are. I do want my reality to change, but I can't believe or make it so, and thus is apart of my depression. Maybe the question given to me in my dream ment that, when am I going to understand I can change my reality?

Thanks for all your posts so far guys, It means alot to me, and I hope as much to you guys too. Very interesting discussion so far, keep those dreams coming! :P