Sign in to follow this  
Mizz_B

How Many Years/months Have You Been Off Work Because Of Depression?

How many years/months have you been out of work because of depression?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. select months/years

• 0 to 3 months
    • 3 months to 6 months
    • 6 months to 9 months
    • 9 months to 12 months
    • 1 to 2 years
    • 2 to 4 years
    • 4 to 6 years
    • 6 to 8 years
    • 8 to 10 years
    • 10 to 15 years
    • 20 years +

I was too ashamed to vote as I would have been the only one in that category (that's stupid, I know), but I haven't been employed since 1997. I quit the last job to go away to college and that's when my depression/anxiety really started surfacing. I made it a little over a year of a 2 year program and had to leave. I stuck it out as long as I could. At that point, I didn't even know what was wrong with me, I just thought this was life and I wasn't very good at it (I still kinda feel that way). Over the years, I've made money selling stuff on ebay and a few odd jobs here and there, but it's been quite some time since those. My wife has her career and I stay at home doing housework. Even that's a struggle sometimes. Especially when I get a real bad episode every couple of months and usually can't do anything for about a week. I hate that I don't work and that I'm alone all day, but I don't see any way out at this point. Every time my symptoms have ever improved some with a med change, giving me hope that they'll keep improving, they eventually go back to where they were. I have no idea what I'd do anyway, without education/experience I'm pretty much stuck. All this makes me withdraw even more as I'm so embarrassed and have no idea what to say anytime someone asks me "What do you do?" (and that's like always the first question). Lately, I've just been obsessing over how I wasted so much of my life and pretty much screwed myself for the future, and it's been putting me into pretty dark places. Well, that's my sad unemployment story.

Edited by VegetableMan

All this makes me withdraw even more as I'm so embarrassed and have no idea what to say anytime someone asks me "What do you do?" (and that's like always the first question).

I feel exactly the same thing. I have been out of work for 2 years. I have withdrawn from allot of people because of these feelings

4-6 years.

In other words, all my 'working' life. I've never had a job and I can't imagine doing something so scary. I don't suppose anyone will give me a job anyway.

3 years this November.

Ive lost all motivation for everything I once loved...

I find no joy in anything anymore

I've been off work since September 2009, and it doesn't look like I'm going back soon. I've also been on long term disability twice before.

This has been eye opening for me. I have only missed a day or two directly related to the D word. But I have often asked myself at work if I can really keep this up X number of years more? I find myself looking for retreats (quiet tasks away from others, etc) more often as well. Hmmmm, how will I live, I don't know.

My best encouragement to you all. I'm mildly depressed - all my adult life, probably. The one constant in my case has been my job; I find myself able to throw myself into it most of the time, as it reduces the background "noise" of emotional distress - as well, my largest phobia in life is being out on the street.

There ARE those times, though, when I find myself unfocused or adopting a "who cares anyway" attitude. It's probably caused me some income over the years, as I occasionally aren't able to do my best work, but I (like achingheart) have a great group of supervisors and coworkers.

Take care, all - best of luck, Mizz B!

I took 6 months out when I was severely depressed as I could not function in a professional capacity . I was in a front line job.

I've been out of work since January 2010. I've quit every job that I've had because I couldn't get along with my coworkers. I'm soooo not a people person...

10 yrs, I quit due to my depression but I didn't know I could get disability, so I waited to long and now don't have enough work credits to get it so I'm s*** outa luck getting any help

7 years for the most part, the first year after I crashed I was on disab from work. I tried on and off to work from home as I did computer programming but I couldn't stick with it and the first 2 years where when my pyschosis flared up so I wasn't all there, still not all there today, but at least I rationally know whats real. Went on long term disab and then got fired. My company was actually good to me even though they fired me in the end. Lived off my 401k for the next two years and in 2008 got SSDI which I didn't even know I was getting but am very glad for. Apparently my long term disab insurance company filed for it and my parents sent in the paperwork. I keep trying to find anything that I can be interested in, anything to get me moving, but nothing sticks or lasts more than a day.

You just feel so so stuck, you hate doing nothing and get so bored and yet there is nothing that you can get yourself to do, and that just makes you hate yourself even more.

Gee what a great question!! I am one of the ones that have had long periods off work due to hospitalisation, recovery all major depressive episodes. Mine started in school 14 yrs, puberty and hell!! I was diagnosed at 22 and I am 53yrs old now. I have had alot of jobs in varioius fields, I have been sacked, let go and left all due to my illness. I also have worked whether part time, casual or fulltime since I was 13yrs old. I left high school with high hopes of going to University and becoming a teacher. This never eventuated and I have been the person with "so much potential" for many years. Currently I am unemployed and on Disability Benefits. It was difficult for me to do this as I always declined when it was offered. I was hospitalised for one month 1 and half yrs ago and left my job ironically I was a disability worker, v good at my job but of course I burned out. I do not discount the fact that I will work again probably as a volunteer. I do not at present feel I would be good at anything. I am also getting older and employment for my age is very scarce. In the past I have lied to cover the periods I have been unemployed some of the time is years. Makes it very difficult when do your Resume. I am over hating myself for this and being on disability. I have come to realise that I do have one!!! It has only taken 30 odd years!!!

Currently off four months and waiting to hear back on my long-term disability claim.

I've had breakdowns in 1989, 1994, 2001, 2009 and 2011/2012.

Last year I had to take three and a half months off, went back to work for two months and then ended up in the hospital for the first time ever. I haven't been back to work since. I met with my employerss two weeks ago to discuss a graduated return but it didn't go very well. When it became clear in the meeting they didn't want me back I broke down.

They said "Your doctors have signed you off to return twice and you've relapsed twice. How do we know you won't relapse again?"

"I'm curious -- would you ask someone returning who had cancer how long they expected to stay in remission?" I responded. They didn't have an answer for that one.

I've been working -- with breaks to get a couple of degrees -- since I was 14. I just turned 40 last week. This is the longest I've ever been off.

Edited by Axe39

I have always had a problem holding on to jobs. Iwas out of work for a year in 2010. but have been working on my current 4 almost 2 years nw...i dont have the best job in the world or nt paying me a huge sum, but am happy that i have one that helps me keep going and cover my expenses.

I have had periods of unemployment due to depression throughout much of my life. Went on disability in 2000, stayed on it for 2 years and then returned to work. I was gainfully employed until about 2007, when I had a major relapse and had to quit a very stressful job. . Since then I have been working mostly part time as a nanny. Due to the economy, I have not been able to find full time work so I don't know whether or not I could handle working full time. I do know that I cannot handle a lot of pressure and prefer to work on my own, so the nanny job is perfect for me. I tried working with a large group of people and it's very difficult to handle, although I have done it in the past. The longest job I have ever held was 4 years.