Sign in to follow this  
gozor

Amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep) Posts

I took Elavil for irritable bowel for a while. Think of it like Benadryl... The sedative effect will definitely wear off over time but it should continue to help anxiety after that point. My partner also took Elavil for fibromyalgia pain, which it works pretty well for, so if you have chronic pain, that's not at all an uncommon medication to treat it.

Hi there, I was just prescribed Amitriptyline because I've been getting reacurring headaches that have been very intense, and the doctor thinks that it's muscular. When he prescribed it I didn't realise it was actually an anti depressant.

Does this drug work well as a muscle relaxant? And also what side effects can I expect? If it gives me the usual side effects of weight gain, sexual dysfunction then I'm going back to the docs and asking for something else. It's taken me years to get off SSRI's because I was so unhappy with these side effects.

I was on it for migraine prevention a few years back. It knocked me out. Took it at 5:30, was asleep by 6:30 and slept until I had to get up for work at 5am. I was still drowsy on the drive into work. If you haven't taken your first dose yet, When you first take it, make sure you aren't going to be driving, heavy machinery, etc just make sure it doesn't make you horribly drowsy. I've heard of some people having the same reaction as me and some that it didn't bother when it came to drowsiness. I honestly would suggest waiting until you have a full day or two free to start them. Just in case. I made that mistake. Took my first dose at 8:30pm, barely got up for work the next morning and was very very close to falling asleep while I was driving to work.

As for the other side-effects, I really don't remember any. Or I should say that I didn't have any other ones bad enough that they stuck in my memory.

I went cold turkey when I came off them and didn't feel any funky side effects like I did when I went cold turkey from Zoloft.

I hope this helps you a bit, but then like any drug, YMMV.

Tricyclics are multipurpose meds like Inderal. Amitryptalline is very sedating and meant to be taken at night only. It can have SEs like other ADs. I've been on 200mg for years and it lets me get a full night's sleep. The morning hangover lasted aboiut a week. I take it around 10PM and I wake up naturally between 6-7AM.

Sheepwoman

Please post your experiences with either.

This is for major depression, mood, energy, anxiety.

Also taking Bupropion.

I know everybody reacts differently to meds and I've been on a bunch and different combos, etc, so at this point for me it's pretty much test-n-go, so looking for experiences from people of either.

Thanks

Edited by Divine69

I've taken both and they react similarly for me. Both have sedating qualities and are best taken at bedtime. They both have anti-anxiety qualities. I haven't noticed a change as far as energy goes. I'm very active for the better part of a day, so I gotta go go go no mater what my energy levels are at. I'm not as depressed as before; however, I'm also taking 2 mood stabilizers as well.

Wellbutrin made me jittery and anxious. I did nothing for depression, nor did it work as a smoking cessation aid.

Sheepwoman

I've been on amitryptyline but had to discontinue it because of severe sedation. I'd sleep up to 17 hours on weekends and was like a zombie during work weeks. Spent all my energy on working, and never had time for anything else. Not a good way to live.

It didn't affect my depression much at all either.

hey everyone.

im battling the idea of going back on medication right now, but if I were to, this would be one of the two meds id consider taking.

whats your opinion/experience with this medication??

any help is GREATLY appreciated.

much love,

m4d

:hearthrob:

I was just put on this medication last week and was on it for two days. I found it helped with my anxiety, but gave me severe sexual side-effects, which is why I discontinued it. Worse than an SSRI.. I was shocked.

I seem to be very sensitive to this, however, so it may not be a problem for you.

I was just put on this medication last week and was on it for two days. I found it helped with my anxiety, but gave me severe sexual side-effects, which is why I discontinued it. Worse than an SSRI.. I was shocked.

I seem to be very sensitive to this, however, so it may not be a problem for you.

You gave up after two days... the side effects wear off over time for most people. I had the same for the first two weeks and found Amit was one of the best meds I've been on, after a couple of months I had zero side effects. Edited by kirkwuk

It's a a tricyclic that's tried and true. Not many pdocs prescribe it very much anymore. I was on it a long time. It worked well on depression, anxiety and insomnia. I only had minimal side effects at start up. I was read happy with the way it worked.

My Doctor still assumes I'm taking sertraline but I haven't taken it for a while. To be honest I've never really liked SSRI's. However recently because I've had repetitive strain injury in my arm my doctor gave me a couple of weeks prescription for Amytriptaline 50mgs a day. So far it's worked for the pain but also soothes my anxiety, it has a calming effect that I like. Do you think I should go to the Doctor, tell her straight that I haven't been taking sertraline but would like to carry on taking amytriptaline for my anxiety instead, even though that's not what she prescribed it for?

Yes I would tell your doctor.  I also have the same med amitriptyline but I use it for sleep and to ease anxiety during sleep.   I have not taken it for a week and I wake up this morning feeling a bit stressed perhaps anxious.   I am also on Cipralex but I am thinking the Amytriptyline is the med that works for me.   You might as well tell your doctor what med you feel is working for you. 

Do you feel Amytriptyline makes you gain weight at all?   I was only on 25mg but I blamed it for weight gain. but I may be wrong.    I am still trying to figure out the meds I should be taking at this time.