Sign in to follow this  
laspoone

Pristiq Side Effects After One Missed Dose

My 21 yr old daughter has been on Pristiq for almost 1 yr. It was wonderful at first with her depression, anxiety and general menatlity improved. About 4 mths ago she started having terrible night sweats which woke her up drenching wet. She noticed if she misses just one dose she begins to ache and hurt like she has the flu but once she gets her meds in her it subsides. Her sweat has begun to smell like a chemical of some sort. She gets blurred vision when she doesn't have it.Now she says she feels sometimes more depressed than beofre but until we can speak to the Dr. she can't come off becuase its so painful. physically, mentally and emotionally. I know meds work differently on each individual but if you are considering this drug. PLEASE, considered the forums posted as far as side effects and overall benefits and other issues. If you have had a similar reaction with Pristiq would you please post about it on here. Thanks and good luck. Please pray we can get her off this med with very minimal side effects.

My 21 yr old daughter has been on Pristiq for almost 1 yr. It was wonderful at first with her depression, anxiety and general menatlity improved. About 4 mths ago she started having terrible night sweats which woke her up drenching wet. She noticed if she misses just one dose she begins to ache and hurt like she has the flu but once she gets her meds in her it subsides. Her sweat has begun to smell like a chemical of some sort. She gets blurred vision when she doesn't have it.Now she says she feels sometimes more depressed than beofre but until we can speak to the Dr. she can't come off becuase its so painful. physically, mentally and emotionally. I know meds work differently on each individual but if you are considering this drug. PLEASE, considered the forums posted as far as side effects and overall benefits and other issues. If you have had a similar reaction with Pristiq would you please post about it on here. Thanks and good luck. Please pray we can get her off this med with very minimal side effects.

I am on Effexor XR, and this drug has a very short shelf life. I will assume Pristiq is the same. If you miss one dose, or you take it late, you start to feel the withdrawl effects. If and when she is ready to come off of pristiq, you need to speak with your Dr about a weaning schedule. Stopping any SSRI/SNRI can produce some nasty withdrwal effects. Pristiq is not the only drug that produces this effect. Make sure she takes her meds the same time every day, so she can avoid any symptoms.

Good luck.

laspoone-

I take Pristiq, and it is an XR, or extended release medication. I will occasionally skip days of dosing on the weekends. Due to it's XR properties, withdrawal effects should not be encountered with just one missed pill. Hoever, we are all different when it comes to the effect of medications, so I'm no even questioning what you have posed.

My greatest issue with Pristiq is that thus far there has been NO withdrawal path formed. It almost seems like once on it, always on it. Hmmmmmm.......that's a bit disturbing. Since it is an "encapsulated" time released med, there is really no way to reduce the dosage in order to "wean" off it. I'm not concerned with this at this point, as I have no desire to cease the med. But, should I reach that point, I can't help but wonder what can be done.

Warmest Regards,

Deepster

Deepster,

Are you sure about that? I'm on Effexor XR, the extended release capsules. But the extended release only covers a 24 hour period. The half-life of Effexor is so low that you can start feeling side effects after a day or so of not taking it (that's what happened to me). And you can wean off of it by lowering the dosage. I've even heard of people opening up the capsules and counting the little do-dads inside it.

Deepster,

Are you sure about that? I'm on Effexor XR, the extended release capsules. But the extended release only covers a 24 hour period. The half-life of Effexor is so low that you can start feeling side effects after a day or so of not taking it (that's what happened to me). And you can wean off of it by lowering the dosage. I've even heard of people opening up the capsules and counting the little do-dads inside it.

I too am on Effexor and I think that any type of AD has withdrawal effects. Effexor on its own I think they say the shelf like is like 4 hours or something silly. The Effexor XR is around 24 hours. But I do sometimes get bad feelings of vertigo, headaches, sweating and dizziness if I miss a dose or if I am running low and I try to ration the tablets till my next prescription.

Plus, it depends on what you eat and what you take it with. If you drink a lot of coffee and eat a lot of fibre I guess your body will get rid of the drug quicker, depends on what your metabolism is like as well.

But I do get withdrawal from missing a dose, or even if i forget to take it in the morning before work ,and take it when i get home. I don't feel right.

Deepster,

I too am on Effexor and I think that any type of AD has withdrawal effects. Effexor on its own I think they say the shelf like is like 4 hours or something silly. The Effexor XR is around 24 hours. But I do sometimes get bad feelings of vertigo, headaches, sweating and dizziness if I miss a dose or if I am running low and I try to ration the tablets till my next prescription.

Plus, it depends on what you eat and what you take it with. If you drink a lot of coffee and eat a lot of fibre I guess your body will get rid of the drug quicker, depends on what your metabolism is like as well.

But I do get withdrawal from missing a dose, or even if i forget to take it in the morning before work ,and take it when i get home. I don't feel right.

I am currently weaning off Pristiq. I started the med in March 2009. I was on 50 mg the entire time. My last full dose was Sun. Yesterday & today I've taken 1/2. I know many people will say not to cut the pills however, for ME, using the pill cutter & taking into account what 2 doctors told me this is the way I plan to be Pristiq free by the end of the month. To this point, other than mild nausea & a VERY faint heachache I am having no discontinuation symptoms. In addition to cutting the pills in 1/2, I am taking a multi-vitamin, a B complex vitamin, calcium & Letchin (spelling?) supplement. I think these are helping. To be honest, I already feel better w/less of the drug in me. If, at the end of 7 days, I'm not having any issues I am going to stop totally. If I am having issues then I will cut the 1/2's into 1/4's for a week then stop. I am grateful, so far, things are going MUCH better than I expected.

Does this mean that I have to get out of bed the same time every day If I take my pills with breakfast about 1/2 hour after getting up?

Will I feel bad if I take my dase just a few hours later than normal?

Thanks

Jonny

Does this mean that I have to get out of bed the same time every day If I take my pills with breakfast about 1/2 hour after getting up?

Will I feel bad if I take my dase just a few hours later than normal?

Thanks

Jonny

Everyone's body responds differently. To be MOST effective you should always take your medicine at the same time every day. I was certainly guilty of not doing this while I was on Pristiq, though. Depending on how long I waited after to take the medication determined if I began feeling badly. Me specifically, my body allowed me a few hour window to take it without feeling badly. But there wasn't much more of a space than that before the brain zaps and dizziness set in. Although it was mild...still enough to bother me. But everyone's different.

i was on effexor...moved to pristiq about a year ago...it was a 3 month weaning off effexor and increasing the dose of pristiq...

i find that if i forget to take my medication in the morning...by about lunchtime, i have this really strange dizzy sensation...it is hard to describe, because it is like i quick tingle on the tongue and a numb tingle passing through my eyes...it is really fast...maybe like a super fast dizzy spell...it will continue until i take my meds...

my husband gives me my meds every morning with my coffee...don't ask me why, but i will drink my coffee, move my pill from one side of the coffee cup to the other...i just won't take it until he has nagged me for the umpteenth time...

but i find the sudden dizzy spells, whilst horrible, are always a good indicator for me as to whether i actually took my meds or not...

if i ignore the signs, purely procrastination...i have the worst night sweats...

having said that...of all the medications that i have tried...i think this has been the most stabilising for me...

Indeed. If I sleep in - in other words, don't get up by at least 11am to take my 50mg dose of Pristiq, my entire body and particularly my legs and hips, will ache horribly. As you say, it feels like the dull aches and pains you experience when you have a bad case of the flu.

It's just horrible, but just like magic (lol!...ah, the wonders of pharmacology!) half an hour or so after I finally take the dose I feel completely fine again.

So yes, the point is, the extremely short 'half-life' of Pristiq (and Effexor) means that even if you are only a few hours late with your daily dose you will begin to feel the effects of what actually is withdrawal...even if perhaps you've only forgotten to take it at the exact same time each day.

Can be kind of annoying (ie: I have a few 'backups' as spares in my handbag in case I go out anywhere and I've accidentally forgotten my daily dose!) Seems trivial, but for those of us who have taken Effexor and/or Pristiq, we all appreciate why such precautions are necessary) It kind of freaked me out at first, because I was on Cipramil for years and of course with those SSRIs you simply don't notice nearly as fast that you've forgotten to take your meds! The only thing that would tip me off back then to the fact that I'd missed a dose was a bit of shakiness/shaky hands in the afternoon, but many times, nothing at all. These SNRIs are certainly a different breed altogether!

I noticed the 'above' sensations while on Effexor. I was on it for years, and took it every morning around 8am before work. I found that I had until 11am at the latest to get that pill in my system before the dizzy spells and brain zaps began. I am now on Pristiq, and haven't noticed that, which has been nice. I still take it every morning mind you, but I know that if I don't take it at like noon, I'm still alright.

Hi

Just wanted to warn people that are considering taking Pristiq that the withdrawal effects of this medication are horrendous.

I have suffered from Depression for about 20 years and refused to take any kind of anti depressants. I finally hit rock bottom about 5 months ago and agreed to take Pristiq. It is proving to be one of the worst decisions I could of made. For the first month things seemed to improve after that I suffered,extreme tiredness,headaches,sweats,dizzy spells.

In the last few weeks I have tapered myself to one tablet every other day. 2 days ago the doctor told me to stop all together and I had a massive dizzy spell fainted and ended up cutting my knees arms etc. I went back to Doctors and she said I just have to persevere. When I asked what I could do to minimize the effects she said she wasn't sure she needed to read up on it is a new drug.

I am now on day 3 of the withdrawal and I feel like there is someone banging a hammer inside my head. I am so angry and having aggressive out bursts, dizzy spells have tripled and I have been awake all night with insomnia. Crying one minute then laughing the next.

I know everyone responds different to medications & it may suit some but I would advise that you get in depth information before you start to take this tablet.

Hi

Just wanted to warn people that are considering taking Pristiq that the withdrawal effects of this medication are horrendous.

I have suffered from Depression for about 20 years and refused to take any kind of anti depressants. I finally hit rock bottom about 5 months ago and agreed to take Pristiq. It is proving to be one of the worst decisions I could of made. For the first month things seemed to improve after that I suffered,extreme tiredness,headaches,sweats,dizzy spells.

In the last few weeks I have tapered myself to one tablet every other day. 2 days ago the doctor told me to stop all together and I had a massive dizzy spell fainted and ended up cutting my knees arms etc. I went back to Doctors and she said I just have to persevere. When I asked what I could do to minimize the effects she said she wasn't sure she needed to read up on it is a new drug.

I am now on day 3 of the withdrawal and I feel like there is someone banging a hammer inside my head. I am so angry and having aggressive out bursts, dizzy spells have tripled and I have been awake all night with insomnia. Crying one minute then laughing the next.

I know everyone responds different to medications & it may suit some but I would advise that you get in depth information before you start to take this tablet.

Hi there, thanks for your post. Just wondering though, have you ever taken Effexor? If you have, are the withdrawal symptoms the same going off the Pristiq, as Effexor?

Hi

Hi there, thanks for your post. Just wondering though, have you ever taken Effexor? If you have, are the withdrawal symptoms the same going off the Pristiq, as Effexor?

Hi

I took Effexor about 2 years ago but only managed to take 2 tablets as they made me very ill.So I can't really comment on withdrawal symptoms of it.

Pristiq is the only one I managed to take but I wish I had not even started on it. I have not been able to work and have sat in a chair all day today as I am now having double vision and shaking. A feel like I have the flu,and have lots of confusion about what's going on around me.

But like I said before everyone reacts different,I hope you have more success than me on them.

Hi

Hi

I took Effexor about 2 years ago but only managed to take 2 tablets as they made me very ill.So I can't really comment on withdrawal symptoms of it.

Pristiq is the only one I managed to take but I wish I had not even started on it. I have not been able to work and have sat in a chair all day today as I am now having double vision and shaking. A feel like I have the flu,and have lots of confusion about what's going on around me.

But like I said before everyone reacts different,I hope you have more success than me on them.

Oh my..I cannot tell all of you how happy I am to find this forum. About 36 hours after my last dose, I have started suffering from terrible side effects. This is the third time this has happened. Every pharmacist and doctor that I have consulted with has made me feel like I did not know what I was talking about when I explained my lack of being "present" mentally, awful vertigo, rapid heartbeat, confusion, and nausea suffered when I missed a dose. They keep telling me that I "might be dehydrated", or "check your blood pressure", or "Oh, that shouldn't be happening, Pristiq can be quit cold turkey". I have worked in pharmacy for over 10 years and am a health educator, so I had the distinct feeling that I could not be the only person in the world feeling this way. I finally broke down, yet again, and refilled my prescription because I felt so mentally and physically ill that I knew that I would not be able to function at work tomorrow otherwise. It is beyond frustrating to hear every medical professional tell me that this medication requires no titration at the beginning or end of therapy, and that I can quit anytime. This medication is the successor of Effexor which required tremendous monitoring for patients to be taken off. I have had contact with many, many patients who have suffered horrendously when trying to wean off of this drug. Although there has been some tweaking of molecules, Pristiq comes with it's own host of nasty withdrawal symptoms. I wish there were better resources for medical professionals and patients to know this. I am so glad this forum is here so that I know that I am not alone.

Oh, horror! Oh, horror! Things like this all posted all over the web daily. The thing is that no one asks who has done well. Well, I have. I love Pristiq! It has been the only AD that I have ever taken that I have had basically no SEs with in the startup. I have not yet tried to get off Pristiq, so I cannot judge not comment on the SEs that might occur.

I just want to remind everyone that when I see a post like this, I do not question nor make judgements about what the poster is presenting. For instance some people can take Celexa without problems. For me it created pscyhotic hallucinations.

As different as we all are, the same differences exist in meds. Yep, it's your basic merry-go-round of meds for most of us. Pristiq was and is easy for me. When or if I discontinue it I will post regarding my experience. For now, it's great!

Warmest Regards,

Deepster

Oh, horror! Oh, horror! Things like this all posted all over the web daily. The thing is that no one asks who has done well. Well, I have. I love Pristiq! It has been the only AD that I have ever taken that I have had basically no SEs with in the startup. I have not yet tried to get off Pristiq, so I cannot judge not comment on the SEs that might occur.

I just want to remind everyone that when I see a post like this, I do not question nor make judgements about what the poster is presenting. For instance some people can take Celexa without problems. For me it created pscyhotic hallucinations.

As different as we all are, the same differences exist in meds. Yep, it's your basic merry-go-round of meds for most of us. Pristiq was and is easy for me. When or if I discontinue it I will post regarding my experience. For now, it's great!

Warmest Regards,

Deepster

Yeah, I love Pristiq too. Just wanted to throw that in. Sure, it might not be for everyone, but that doesn't mean it will be no good for everyone.

Take care.

laspoone-

I take Pristiq, and it is an XR, or extended release medication. I will occasionally skip days of dosing on the weekends. Due to it's XR properties, withdrawal effects should not be encountered with just one missed pill. Hoever, we are all different when it comes to the effect of medications, so I'm no even questioning what you have posed.

My greatest issue with Pristiq is that thus far there has been NO withdrawal path formed. It almost seems like once on it, always on it. Hmmmmmm.......that's a bit disturbing. Since it is an "encapsulated" time released med, there is really no way to reduce the dosage in order to "wean" off it. I'm not concerned with this at this point, as I have no desire to cease the med. But, should I reach that point, I can't help but wonder what can be done.

Warmest Regards,

Deepster

I had asked my dr. recently about how one could maybe wien themselves from pristiq. I had mentioned concerns about this because of all the hellish stories I have heard about pristiq. At first I thought maybe you could break it in half. But thats not a good idea because its a time realised drug. She mentioned if I was to wien off pristiq that maybe she would put me on effexor and tapor me off that way. Being there are lower doses of effexor and they have common chemicals. That idea kinda made some good sence to me. I don't know thought I would post that. Hope it was maybe knowledgable in some shape or form. Take care

I've been on Pristiq for awhile now. Had to keep increasing my dose and have been at the max for a few months. I don't start feeling the withdrawal symptoms until it has been more than 24hrs since my last dose. I've been so stressed and depressed this week (partly due to my cycle) that I never made it to the pharmacy to pick up my refill.

It's been two days since my last dose and this is the absolute worst I've ever felt. I'm an OR nurse and had to leave in the middle of my case. I was teaful, dizzy, nauseous and a complete mess. I thought I was gonna pass out on the freeway and vomited all over myself on the way to the pharmacy.

It's been about six hrs since I took my Pristiq and am still not feeling great, but overall, much better.

I really can't blame the Pristiq. It's my own fault. I really has saved my life up until now. That and lots of therapy.

Now, if I could only deal with the stressors causing my situational depression. :shocked:

The Pristiq withdrawal is far worse than Effexor, in my opinion.

The brain zaps were 10x worse than I had ever experienced, and it was just a terrible terrible med to get over.

Hi

*hugs you* It sucks so bad. I'm on my second attempt to get off this sh-t right now. I'm doing alternate days, or trying to, but I'm so scared for the day when I don't take anything because I almost fainted last time. I needed help to go up and down the stairs. Those head-shocks are THE worst sensation I have ever felt...EVER! Stay away from this medication...Pristiq sucks.

Hi all,

I have not long been on Pristiq after many many years on Prozac. I am somewhat concerned and not sure I want to stay on it. I missed one dose and had the most awful day on account of it - felt very peculiar in my head and spaced out, emotional, unwell ... Having taken Prozac for years, I was able to miss up to 2-3 days and not have any side effects at all. It makes me wonder about this medication and long term effects - plus what will happen if I want to come off it. Also, I'm not sure that it's providing any better anti-depressant effect for me. I had been having some depression (situational really) and my dr thought after so many years on Prozac, a change might be in order. I honestly don't feel all that safe with this new med after my one day missing it experience ...

Concerned ... :verysad3: