Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay

Stopping Citalopram (Celexa, Cipramil, Seropram)

Ok...its day 7 or something or other off of the meds completly and ive been asleep for an hour and now awake again...really need to sleep, work tomorrow.

I visited my doc today worried about the hard palpitations im getting, just for a second or 2 that seem to be making me dizzy, he seems to think its just the withdrawel.

Lay in bed I was yet again very aware of my heartbeat (as I used to be a year and a half ago before and beginning meds) Im just trying to remind myself that Im fine, its just the withdrawel, these symtom can be a little frightnening as it reminds me of what I was like and i really dont want that back again. All the techniques I learned for anxiety that I kind of forgot as I didnt seem to need them whilst on the meds are going to have to be dug out for this I think lol.

Has anyine got some kind of eta on how long the withdrawel might last? Its hard to try and reassure yourself that its not happening all over again but Im trying :)

Leila :hearts:

Hi All..............I have been trying to get to grips with citalopram on and off for two years.....But i get terrible wind and an unsettled stomach,.I have been on methadone since dec 07......started on 90ml but now on 35ml and hope to be weened off it in next few months. surely the methadone and the anti-depressant would cancel each other out as they do the opposite thing. I feel helpless ,alone, incredibaly sad,lost, suicidal, etc. is it worth going back on citalopram now my methadone is coming down?..I live on my own, dont work. because of suicide attempt and depression I have become a loner or withdrawn. find it hard to motivate myself to clean my flat, have a shower, have my daugter to stay, cant be bothered eating.when those dark clouds descend into my mind i just give up fighting it now, and just suffer in silence. i dont know what to do...............i just know if nothing changes for me shortly then disaster awaits, like its breathing down my neck. just need some ideas, a pointer, a guiding light out of this deep dark dungeon my mind is in........phil.............peace love wisdom

Hi, I stopped taking 10mg of Citalopram 6 days ago having only taken it for 16 days, it wasn't for me, it made me suicidal and anxious beyond believe. Anyway I stopped cold turkey thinking I'd be ok having been on such a low dose for such a short amount of time, however I am experiencing such constant panic, extreme dizziness (I was already dizzy before I took the drug but now it's 10 times worse) and cold rushes through my body. Could this still be withdrawal symptoms despite not having been on them very long or am I going mad?!

Hi, I am mew to this site and thought I would but my little story out there. I started citalopram In May of 2007. It worked great in regulating my anxiety and panic disorder but it had me gain 27 pounds. I finally had to get off it. I work out four times and eat healthy, I have done this since I been on it and I still gained and gained. I had to get off. I can

I have been off citalopram for about 8 weeks now. And I can tell you it has only been in the past week that the withdrawal probelms ahve finally subsided for me. I was taking Lexapro but my pharmacist asked if I would change to the generic since it was cheaper. I did not thing it was a big change and I agreed. That was the worst mistake I could have ever made. The citalopram was horrid. I constantly had migraines and vomited. I gained almost 20 pound in no time.

But the withdrawal symptoms were bad as well. Anxiety, irritability, and again weight gain. I really hope that this being out of my system will help me reset and get better.

I was originally on this for an over the phone diagnosis of post partum depression. I never did have adequate doctor oversight with now that I look back was a terrible thing on both sides.

Greetings all. I am currently trying to stop Celexa after about 3 years of taking it. I have not had a dose now for about three weeks. I am having very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. The best way to describe it would be dizziness but that is only a general description and not really 100% accurate. When I move my eyeballs from the left and to the right, I can hear a 'buzzing' sound in my head. This also occurs when I move my head abruptly, but I think it is because eye movement accompanies my head movement. Accompanying this odd 'eye movement buzzing' is a general feeling of bodily discomfort. I feel light headed, slightly confused at time (nothing serious really) and feel physically ill to a certain degree. I am able to go about my daily activities but the constant buzzing in my head, caused by natural eye movement, is a constant irritant and source of discomfort. I have no trouble sleeping, only this odd feeling of physical illness. It is very uncomfortable, and over the course of three weeks, has not let up at all. At times, it will feel as though it is lessening and I am hopeful that it is about to go away, but after a nights sleep, I wake up and upon opening my eyes, my head is flooded with the buzzing 'sound', full force. I am beginning to despair that these symptoms will never go away. Has anyone experienced this before?

'Buzzing in he head' caused by eye movement.

General feeling of physical illness.

Dizziness and light headedness.

I am not feeling depressed, and feel like I would be ok if these feelings would just go away.

Anyway, what I am hoping is that someone has experienced these exact same symptoms, as I have yet to encounter any descriptions of withdrawals that match mine exactly, and that they eventually went away completely.

Thanks.

Well, I can agree with the symptoms above. I went cold turkey in the way of forgetting to take the pills one day (Citalopram 20mg) and thought that i would start the process of cutting down and have now been a week with the above sysmptoms and am going back to the GP to get a lower dose to wean me off as I cant cope with the whooshinh and the flashing by moving my eyes.

I hopw that I will get off this quickly but guess that its best to do it under the doc as these symptoms are not good and can be scary (especially when your head is spinning for ages and wondering when it will stop)

I am finding the symptoms worse in the cold and in the heat I am fine.

Lets hope that we can get off these and get on with things... I am keeping a BIG smile on my face even though my emotions especially today have been all over the place and the slightest thing has got me in floods of tears.

Greetings all. I am currently trying to stop Celexa after about 3 years of taking it. I have not had a dose now for about three weeks. I am having very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. The best way to describe it would be dizziness but that is only a general description and not really 100% accurate. When I move my eyeballs from the left and to the right, I can hear a 'buzzing' sound in my head. This also occurs when I move my head abruptly, but I think it is because eye movement accompanies my head movement. Accompanying this odd 'eye movement buzzing' is a general feeling of bodily discomfort. I feel light headed, slightly confused at time (nothing serious really) and feel physically ill to a certain degree. I am able to go about my daily activities but the constant buzzing in my head, caused by natural eye movement, is a constant irritant and source of discomfort. I have no trouble sleeping, only this odd feeling of physical illness. It is very uncomfortable, and over the course of three weeks, has not let up at all. At times, it will feel as though it is lessening and I am hopeful that it is about to go away, but after a nights sleep, I wake up and upon opening my eyes, my head is flooded with the buzzing 'sound', full force. I am beginning to despair that these symptoms will never go away. Has anyone experienced this before?

'Buzzing in he head' caused by eye movement.

General feeling of physical illness.

Dizziness and light headedness.

I am not feeling depressed, and feel like I would be ok if these feelings would just go away.

Anyway, what I am hoping is that someone has experienced these exact same symptoms, as I have yet to encounter any descriptions of withdrawals that match mine exactly, and that they eventually went away completely.

Thanks.

weaning off too , i am get the flood of emotions also

Well, I can agree with the symptoms above. I went cold turkey in the way of forgetting to take the pills one day (Citalopram 20mg) and thought that i would start the process of cutting down and have now been a week with the above sysmptoms and am going back to the GP to get a lower dose to wean me off as I cant cope with the whooshinh and the flashing by moving my eyes.

I hopw that I will get off this quickly but guess that its best to do it under the doc as these symptoms are not good and can be scary (especially when your head is spinning for ages and wondering when it will stop)

I am finding the symptoms worse in the cold and in the heat I am fine.

Lets hope that we can get off these and get on with things... I am keeping a BIG smile on my face even though my emotions especially today have been all over the place and the slightest thing has got me in floods of tears.

I have been off Celexa/Citaprolam for 5 days now. My doc said I should stop taking it due to the fact that I may be pregnant. I won't clearly know the answer to that one yet until I am due for the wonderful friend us females get. I was surprised that she wanted me off of it completely and not to wean myself off of it... I put a call into her office to see her Monday to clarify and to ask her more questions. Today I am feeling pretty bad, I am getting all these weird ailments, I feel like I have a bad cold, post nasal drip and I feel at times like my throat is closing, which is making me very anxious. My stomach is not up to par either. I am just praying these feeling go away. I really don't think my husband and I are even ready for a baby right now either, so I am praying I am not preggo. We've been together 5 years and have never had an accident until last week. We're married two years now. Anyway, I just hope that my throat won't close up and I will stop breathing or something.. this all may be in my head though.. but I sure do feel like CRAP. It's probably the anxiety.. IDK.. I'll just hang in there I guess until Monday.

Thanks Lindsay!

I will share my experience of going off in '98.......(currently going off again soon, but only 'cuz I'm switching to Lexapro based on a belief by my pdoc that the *now-generic* Celexa (citalopram) I'm taking is not up to the standards that the brand name meds are.....???........I dunno, I'm just taking his word for it on this one).

Back in '98 I was on it for about a year. It took 4 months (20mg upped to 40mg over the course of a month or so) to get me feeling better again. It was great. It made me (quite literally) 100% normal again. I stayed on for the next 11 months but got the great idea to come off. (Well, maybe it wasn't a completely bad idea....but.......).

At some point I had gone from 40mg down to 20mg which was easy. I really don't recall any effects coming down on it. Then later I went from 20 to 10mg for a 2 week period.........after which I went off completely.

Now here's what I experienced that I think is significant at that point............(read below)..........

A few days after being off completely I noticed that a few times a day I would get what I called "FLASHES". It was as if a flash bulb went off in my brain............or..............like God just hit the "pause" button one time for a split second. It would only last for about a second and surely freaked me out the first time it happened, but I realized it was harmless and dealt with it. IIRC, it happened for about a week (maybe two?) after being completely off Celexa. And again just a few times a day. Nothing major and after that I was fine.

This was all done during the summer time as my pdoc fellt summer was best to do this, so if anybody's thinking of going off, I would also pass on that tidbit of info. I really, honestly and truly believe there is something to this whole seasonal thing as ALL of my episodes in my life have been in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb. I have NEVER had probelms in the spring/summer/fall.............and summer being the most distant from any of these time frames.

In the interest of contemporary timing of both Forest's SSRi's (Celexa/Lexapro)...............I know there are a lot of folks who are either in-between and/or switching from Celexa to Lexapro. I am now currently one of those people. (I loved Celexa and I won't gamble with my pdoc's intuition and suggest that I wish I would've kept buying brand-name Celexa 'cuz that's all behind me now.....but......)

As of this moment, my doc is asking me to continue my 40mg of Celexa until the Lexapro "kicks in". I know there is one other user on this board who went on a direct switch in a somewhat unusual way (only i.m.o.) because he went from 20mg Celexa to 20mg Lexapro. 20mg Celexa is a very low dose while 20mg Lexapro is a very moderate to healthy dose. Whatever his pdoc's reasoning, the direct switch seemed to have worked. That's great news for those of us making the switch.

My experience will be different as I will assume at this point that I'm going to be tapering off of Celexa starting this Friday. (pdoc appt.) I can't imagine my dose of Lexapro will go anywhere for a while as 20mg Lex is already a very therapeutic dose. I will definitely post here (like I wouldn't anyway?? LOL) to advise people how *this* method of switching works!

I'm assuming the switch will be successful and I will certainly cover my pdoc's reasonings and report back here with that as well......as to why he wanted to do the switch in *this* particular way so that perhaps we can have a better understanding. I will also converse with him as to the contrast of both methods and possibly anything in between and the benefits/consequences of any and all of those methods.

(HAVE I BABBLED ENOUGH YET?????)

Anyway.........lastly, I just want to say that I thank God for drugs like Celexa and Lexapro! They are truly great drugs and I think we are all better off for them. I know they've sped up my recovery in the past and I hope that Lexapro will do the same for me now. Also........if Celexa is working for you, I say STAY ON IT!!! 5 year studies have shown that if you stay on your meds at a maintenance dose, in double-blind studies, you are MUCH better off than if you try to go off just because you don't like being on these drugs. At my last blood test, my liver function was 100% healthy and these drugs are about as harmless as vitamins when taken as prescribed by your doc. Don't fall into the hype that you're "drugged up" if that's a fear that yo have! You are taking medication to help make you well!!! That is a GOOD thing!!!!!!!

Not gospel.......just my .02!!

Thanks for your post, and it wasn't too long at all. The more information the better!! Extremely helpful : )

Just to throw this in...stopped celexa about 2 weeks ago after 18 months on (OCD). Got a good handle on my symptoms. Didn't mind the meds, weren't making me feel terrible emotionally, in fact I was fine with them. They did sap my energy big time. I got to needing a nap daily (over Christmas it was 3-4 naps a day.) It got to the point where I even did a sleep study last fall. No sleep disorder. 1800 bucks down the can. Oh well. I also dealt with a 20 lb weight gain. Nothing terrible (I am a runner, so that helped a lot...but going from 235 down to 165 and then back to 185...it was a heavy load ...imagine carrying 20 extra pounds on your back and running 6 or 7 miles!)

So after reading so many helpful posts, i decided to quit the Celexa and see if it helped. I do know and understand my unwelcome visitor OCD much better than ever before, so i thought it would be safe to stop.

This is not medical advice, but it helped me: I went from 20 mg a day to 10 for a week. Then I went from 10 to 5 for another week. At this point i was splitting pills in 1/4's! After a week or so of this, I went to 5 mg every other day, then every third day.

Felt a little woozy and dizzy especially each step down. I am on about ten days of no pills at all and feel great. Dizziness is less each day. Mood is great. Energy is up and I even get through most days with NO NAP. Carb cravings have diminished significantly, especially the sugary ones. Back to 170 pounds and weight is dropping fast. No ocd symptoms have returned yet, but when they do, they get dismissed as the unwelcome visitor and i now know enough about them to deal with out the medication!

Good luck to all of you who are working toward getting off medicine. Make sure your doc knows your plan, make sure you are able to get off. In my situation, it was fine...no serious depression symptoms right now, and I have the tools to deal with my ocd...Meds are great, they bought me a year to figure myself out. Some people function best with the meds, and this isn't a post to say "get off the meds." But if that is your path, it can be done!

frozen up north...

Stopping Citalopram(Celexa, Cipramil, Seropram)

I'd been on citalopram about 4 or 5 months, upped the dosage about once a monht because it stopped working after hte first few weeks nad stayed not working. Then I just stopped about halfway trhough february, but didn't have much trouble with it, felt a bit sick. I wouldn't suggest anyone do it, though, it was probably dumb of me to stop like that.

I was on lexapro for a year and a half and weaned myself off the 10mg. I would only take a half pill every day for 2 weeks, then a half pill every other day a week, then none. I had virtually NO side effects whatsoever. I was bracing for the worse but yea nothing. lex is a wussy :) And I can actually feel feelings now.

So just wanted to throw in that you may not have any side effects too, cause it seems all you hear about is how bad w/d is.

It is great to find this site.

When I went on Citalopram for severe anxiety and depression and insomnia in April last year (due to a really difficult work situation...a bullying boss, and me being used as the 'scapegoat' for his own issues with women), it really helped me.

I had very little side effects going on it, and tolerated the meds well. 10mg daily didn't help much, so it was upped to 20mg daily, and that worked a treat. I was able to laugh again, the little things that used to blow me out of the water with anxiety became manageable. Yeah, I gained some weight, but I was so much better in my mind that I didn't (and still don't) care.

I have since changed my job, and am happy with it! Hurrah! A boss who is human and cares about the people she manages. Makes a nice change. So I went to the doc and he took me off the meds gradually, and I stopped completely a couple of weeks ago. No problems until...

Three days ago, I started getting the 'head zaps', and feeling a little dizzy. My tinnitus is screaming. I also could sleep for the Olympics. The head zaps scared me, as I thought I was having some kind of mini-strokes or something. No advice from the doc as to the potential of 'coming off side-effects', he never even mentioned it. I will be sure to let him know!

I am so glad to hear from others that these feelings are pretty much normal, and even though it may take some time, they will go away eventually.

Thanks again for a terrific web-site. :hearts:

Edited by Pitou

Wow, folks! I can't tell you how great it is to discover this site and learn I'm not losing my mind/control of my body.

In order to start taking another medication - non-depression related, mu doc told me to take half of my Celexa for a week or so. Since I had already dropped down to just 10mg, I didn't think I really COULD split them, so just took every other day for about a week and then stopped. About 3 days later I became really dizzy, sort of flu-like, etc. It never even occurred to me it might be a side effect of stopping the meds. - See, I had abruptly stopped taking other AD's several times over the last 8-10 years, and never really noticed any side effects, although my Pharmacist friends always gave me a crazy look when I told them that.

So, after a couple of days of what I describe as feeling "wonky". I bought a pill-splitter and took 5mg/day for about a week or two. Ran out of those about 5 days ago. Two days ago, the "wonkies" came back. At least I know what it is. My concern is, how long will it last? I don't feel depression coming on, and I haven't gotten irrationally mad about non-important things, so I (at least right now) think this may be the right decision for me. But when can I expect to feel "normal" again?

And again, thanks so much to all of you for sharing!

Edited by DaisyMae

well i haven't taken cipramil for three weeks now and i still feel awful, my hands and feet are freezing then all of a sudden I break out in a sweat, my head is still spinning, i feel dizzy and ache all over, I really wish these would all end.

if we all new this is how bad it gets to withdraw it I wonder if we would have taken it it in the first place.

has any one on here ever managed to stop taking cipramil and stayed off all meds?

Hi there,

I have to say that my story is almost the same as many posted above. I started celexa due to depressions and anxiety attacks - which, i am happy to say have not been around for a long long time!

I am in the process of weaning - and have sucessfully gotten down from 40mg to 10mg without incident. now i am trying to go from 10mg to nothing - at the suggestion of my psych and am experiencing some dizziness and general "weird" feelings (just not feeling quite right, not sure how to describe this...). I realize that this is normal for withdrawal symptoms and will happily ride it out...just wondering what other people's experiences are for the duration of these feelings? i'm wondering if it could be days, weeks, months? so far they are mild...but definitely not something i want to deal with forever.

Two weeks later now, and I am still getting the brain zaps, although they are lessening somewhat now. I notice that if I have coffee, they definitely get worse... anyone else have experience of caffeine aggravating the withdrawal symptoms?

Still could sleep for the Olympics, though, and need the coffee in the morning to get out the door to work! :hearts:

And the tinnitus is still screaming... :hearts::flowers:

Edited by Pitou

Ive been on citalopram since just before xmas for my anxiety following a bout of serious panic attacks which saw me on Diazapam over the xmas period.....Not fun try going cold turkey off that! Which i did :hearts:

I started on 10mg and for a few weeks i felt as though i was back on track. But then the symptoms started to slowly creep back.

The doctor then upped my dose to 20mg once a day. This seemed to do the trick although i did still seem to have underlying anxiety but nothing that i couldnt handle using breating techniques and relaxation methods.

I kind of stopped taking Citalopram accidentally because i forgot to take my tablets on a trip with me and if felt on top of the world for a few days. So i thought maybe i could live without them. WRONG!

But now the withdrawl has kicked in about a week later with serious dizzyness, nausea and just feeling like im on a different planet to everyone else also it feels like my chest, arms and fingertips are buzzing.

I also agree that tea and coffee doesnt seem to help while weening off or whilst on the tablets.

Fortunatly no "Head Zaps" though.

Definately going to start taking the tablets again as from tonight but im going to see the doctor to get him to ween me off the tablets as i think im ready.

I am glad i found this forum because i thought i had something wrong with me, but i feel alot better knowing these symptoms are par for the course.

Well, it's been 7 weeks since I stopped my 20mg of Citalopram (having tapered off with the help of the doctor).

The 'brain zaps' have much reduced, and are almost gone now, although if I have coffee or alcohol, they can come back a little bit, or if I am tired.

Definitely miss the support of the tablets though. I am not feeling as well in myself as I was, and notice much more all those little things that used to bother me. But hey, that's life! And I am still happy in my job, so I guess I am doing OK, compared to some.

Hang in there guys, it does get better.

Well, it's been 7 weeks since I stopped my 20mg of Citalopram (having tapered off with the help of the doctor).

The 'brain zaps' have much reduced, and are almost gone now, although if I have coffee or alcohol, they can come back a little bit, or if I am tired.

Definitely miss the support of the tablets though. I am not feeling as well in myself as I was, and notice much more all those little things that used to bother me. But hey, that's life! And I am still happy in my job, so I guess I am doing OK, compared to some.

Hang in there guys, it does get better.

Yeah, I stopped taking Citalopram somewhat suddenly due to a prescription mix up and was then prescribed a 10mg dose. It's beem about 3 weeks since the last pill and I'm still getting the dizziness and strange electrics shocks as the day wears on. It's a bit dissappointing as it's a couple of months since I took the pills regularly, but hell maybe it'll go away in time. In truth the tablets weren't much help as they events that lead to me being down were out there, and my reaction was entirely normal and understandable. I guess the medical profession sees it all through the lens of illness which focuses on individual morbidity and ignores the societal context entirely.

Despite the supposed depression, real sleeplessness and inability to concentrate I still managed to pass 3 professional exams in the last 3 months. And with less effort and more easily than supposedly well ex colleagues. You just have to grit your teeth, ignore the naysayers and get on with it! You might doubt yourself, you may not appreciate the results, but you can still get there. You could even prove to be exceptionally good.

Personally, I think that the whole depression thing is seriously misunderstood. Yeah people were getting at me, threatening me with violence, being abusive, demanding, completely unreasonable and there was less than no support from my ex employers. Hell, they even directed callers to me, as I could deal with it! We're not so far removed from other primates as we'd like to think and physiologically ill prepared for modern life with it's intrigues, pitfalls and litigiousness. It is what it is, you just have to discover how to adjust. And it could take you some time.

I came off the tablets over a period of about 6 weeks and on a couple of days I had brain zaps but other than that it seemed to go smoothly enough

I was put right on 20mg for a month. My doctor told me just to stop taking them, no tapering off. Apparently he likes abruptness lol.

It's been 5 days and there's only one change I'm certain of. I'm having quick but frequent bouts of derealization when I stand up and start walking. I also had these at the beginning of treatment.

I've been experiencing an upset stomach and weight loss. I've had periods of feeling too warm at times. But I was feeling ill a few days before stopping Celexa, so I'm not sure if this could be withdrawal or a bug. Maybe it's a combo of both.

I'm supposed to be starting a new med in 2 days. This time I'm supposed to gradually increase. :p

Well here's my story, I have been taking 20mg of Celexa for just 3 months. I felt GREAT, a total queen of Zen. Nothing bothered me, nothing stressed me out. (I was put on celexa for anxiety not depression by the way. I have a way of WORRYING obsessively about EVERYTHING)

So things are great, but for some reason I would have "goofy" spells. I would just blank out and repeat things or forget things. These were very quickly over, but weirded me out none the less.

I also noticed that I CRAVED all sweets and carbs. I have always been slender, but suddenly I wanted SUGAR!!! I looked at my butt in the mirror one day and thought "well that's getting bigger, oh well". After having that "zen" thought I realized "Holy Crap! I'm gaining alot of weight!" So I quit cold turkey.

I have not had Celexa in 4 days now and really the only side effect has been mild diareaha (gross I know) and hot/cold spells. Other than that I'm good.

I am currently trying to "train" myself to eat less again. And lay off the cereal and candy bars! LOL!

Anyway, I loved Celexa in and of itself, but I don't want to stop caring how my body looks and or feels. Did I mention that a free for all carb addiction also surprisingly makes you VERY sleepy and lethargic?

Good luck to everyone out there and tell me if you have a story like mine.

I was put right on 20mg for a month. My doctor told me just to stop taking them, no tapering off. Apparently he likes abruptness lol.

It's been 5 days and there's only one change I'm certain of. I'm having quick but frequent bouts of derealization when I stand up and start walking. I also had these at the beginning of treatment.

I've been experiencing an upset stomach and weight loss. I've had periods of feeling too warm at times. But I was feeling ill a few days before stopping Celexa, so I'm not sure if this could be withdrawal or a bug. Maybe it's a combo of both.

I'm supposed to be starting a new med in 2 days. This time I'm supposed to gradually increase. :p

Wow, I hope I have the weight loss side effect! I put on several pounds in just the 3 months I took Celexa. :hearts: