Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay

Stopping Citalopram (Celexa, Cipramil, Seropram)

i have come to suspect ssris can cause depression (after their efficacy wears of -- that is somewhat of a tautology but i am talking of people who did not need ssri to begin with, like me) . reducing to 2.5mg (from the 5 mg i take) as i type. will report tomorrow (if i can type). scared? yes. 

10th & 11th -- queasy with relief in the evening

12th & 13th - insomnia

14th - normal

(it's getting a little harder as i go down. currently on 2.5 mg escit.) 

8th January - stopped ecit 2.5 mg.

9th to 11th Jan - no withdrawals. 

On 11/01/2016 at 11:43 AM, Rahul said:

8th January - stopped ecit 2.5 mg.

9th to 11th Jan - no withdrawals. 

11th Jan to 22nd July - depression free and better than while on meds. yes, ssri was causing me depression in retrospect. 

My doctook me off of this just recently.  trying to figure out which med is making my hair fall out.  I am on too many meds, how will i ever find out which one or ones is causing it.  

Recently, I've tapered off Lexapro and had no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I took 10mg every morning for two years. I decided to stop taking it because I overcame my depressive episode so I don't need it anymore. I'm feeling much better now. My therapist and I agreed that I would taper off gradually, so I took 10mg every other day for a month and the next month I took 10mg twice weekly.

So my advice for coming off antidepressants (Lexapro in my case) would be:
1. consult your therapist every step of the way (if you don't have a psychotherapist you should REALLY find one as soon as possible)
2. taper off gradually, stretch it out for longest time possible

Feel free to send me a private message if you want more advice!
(I usually check this forum about once weekly)

Is anyone else suffering from rage after quitting Celexa? My doctor had to take me off of it because it was causing psychosis, but now I'm always in a rage. It's been about a month since I quit. 

I'm just always on edge. I explode at the smallest things, and I don't know what to do.

I have been taking Celexa for 15 years and now up to 40 mgs per day. But I used to consider myself a pretty smart, quick, intuitive person who was also very creative. Lately, I feel dumb, I have to think about stuff, I have zero creativity... ***? Should I   go off the celexa? I began taking it not really for de pression but for anxiety and rage. help?

So ive been on lexapro/Celexa for a long time, as well as a couple others.  Off and on about 6 years.   At first, it worked like magic, I was shocked and mad at myself for not starting SSRIs sooner.  Overtime, I started to feel very numb towards all aspects of life.  My relationships, professional life, everything deteriorated.  I've always had anxiety/depression to a certain degree but I think what it did was put a bandaid on it so long that I'm not able to handle emotions in the same way as before.  I went off of it as slowly as possible last time (about 1-2.5 mg tapered  every 3 months)  One day i stopped it, felt fine.  A few weeks later, waves of sadness and emotional came rushing in like a river.  I had to start a new job in a couple weeks so my doctor put me back on it just so I could get used to the new job without feeling the way I did.  I had to leave the job because the dose I was put back on wasn't enough for me to function and I was sick of feeling numb.  The rush of sadness I got when i went off of it felt good because I was actually feeling it for real.  It was painful but its something I need to do again to try to get off of it for good.  I'm wondering who's taken this drug for years and how long did it take you to feel "normal" again? Any tips? I'm struggling with some stuff right now and I'm really trying to get a grasp on this aspect of things.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:40 AM, atlien2488 said:

So ive been on lexapro/Celexa for a long time, as well as a couple others.  Off and on about 6 years.   At first, it worked like magic, I was shocked and mad at myself for not starting SSRIs sooner.  Overtime, I started to feel very numb towards all aspects of life.  My relationships, professional life, everything deteriorated.  I've always had anxiety/depression to a certain degree but I think what it did was put a bandaid on it so long that I'm not able to handle emotions in the same way as before.  I went off of it as slowly as possible last time (about 1-2.5 mg tapered  every 3 months)  One day i stopped it, felt fine.  A few weeks later, waves of sadness and emotional came rushing in like a river.  I had to start a new job in a couple weeks so my doctor put me back on it just so I could get used to the new job without feeling the way I did.  I had to leave the job because the dose I was put back on wasn't enough for me to function and I was sick of feeling numb.  The rush of sadness I got when i went off of it felt good because I was actually feeling it for real.  It was painful but its something I need to do again to try to get off of it for good.  I'm wondering who's taken this drug for years and how long did it take you to feel "normal" again? Any tips? I'm struggling with some stuff right now and I'm really trying to get a grasp on this aspect of things.

I'm following this thread because I want to know how to successfully get off Citalopram and Bupropion.

Last month, I went three days without bupropion because I couldn't get to the pharmacy. On that third day, I began to be filled with despair and it felt like there was the wheel of a huge tractor pressing down upon my head. It was horrible.

All I can say with how I was able to quit (had to, it caused some psychotic symptoms for me), is the following;

It’s an absolute nightmare for about four months. I would start shaking with rage, and as a usually calm and kind person, I started getting into screaming fights, even with people I didn’t know!

Oh, and the first two days off of it, I went into a true, full-blown mania!

I don’t know of any way around a very long withdrawal though. 

Edited by Cybernetic
Added mania experience

Hello to all been awhile since I posted.I quit Lexapro in 07.Did a slow taper for a few months.When down to hardly any I quit.Ok next I was dizzy-headed for a month.Well here it is 11 years and I may have to start up again.Yes depression has reared its ugly head all week to the point of having to start up again.I actually have had a decent day.Best to all!

On 11 March 2018 at 8:40 AM, JD4010 said:

I'm following this thread because I want to know how to successfully get off Citalopram and Bupropion.

JD4010 if you're still reading on here: go to Surviving Antidepressants online and you will find a supportive community and a wealth of information on how to taper your psych med safely.

3 hours ago, sanguinepixie said:

JD4010 if you're still reading on here: go to Surviving Antidepressants online and you will find a supportive community and a wealth of information on how to taper your psych med safely.

Oh hey, thanks for that! I'm headed over there now. 😁

20 hours ago, sanguinepixie said:

Awesome! I'll see you – I'm Tikki Tikki there.

Hahaha. My first post still hasn't been approved by a moderator. 🙄

On 5/23/2009 at 3:25 PM, Herald said:

Hi all 🙂

I am new to the forum but old to SSRI use I guess. I have been on 3 different SSRIs. Started with Prozac, the second I can't remember just now, the third and current is Celexa which I have found the best. All in all, about 10 years on the SSRI drugs. Just now I am about 6 weeks into reducing my current dose of 40mg down to zero, if it is feasible. The originating causes of the depression are no longer there so I figure I will see if it is possible to get off the meds. I have a medical and auditing background so have found what I can on SSRI discontinuation syndrome. Information is only part of what I need to make this possible, the other part is real life experience, as I see here on these forums. I hope, with your help, I can do this thing. :hearts:

Research seems to show the discontinuation symptoms kick in about 2-3 days after dropping the dosage, and last (if you are lucky) for a week or so. Depression symptoms, if they recur are likely 3 weeks after the dosage drop. Having been around depression for so long I feel like I know the symptoms, both of overdose and underdose of meds and depression symptoms. Can be tricky to work out whether waking up in the middle of the night is due to which of these 3, but I figure I am good with it now. I know how sneaky the depression can be in infiltrating your thinking - to that end I have made myself up an Xcel spreadsheet with 10 things that affect my mood - family, money, sleep, social life etc. as well as a general mood indictior. That way, if my mood is out of the ordinary down I can check if there is any logical reason for it or just depression coming in.

Additionally I have listed all the usual symptoms of SSRI withdrawal and log them as they occur. Helps know that I am not actually unwell. Today's ones are chills, sleepiness, mild headache, slurred speech and shoulder stiffness and aching.

I decided on an 8 month program to reduce my dose. 10 years is a long time on the drugs and 40mg a decent dose. First month 1.5 tablets was a big drop at 25% reduction (30mg) and the side-effects were okay but I would not want to have them worse. I am going down 1/4 tablet a month from here on down to wherever I can get to. So I have had 4 weeks at 30mg, currently just 1 week into the 25mg dose and getting moderate side-effects. No signs of depression coming back. Yay. Also very into Eckhart Tolle's books The New Earth and Power of Now. Best I have found for getting my thinking into shape.

There ya go. That is me. Thank you for being here. I appreciate you. Cheers!

Herald,

I know this post is from 9 years ago but I just read it today and it was very helpful to me!

I hope that you are doing well in your life and are happy.

I have weaned myself off of Celexa, after SSRI's for 18 years. The side effects of Celexa - interuption of sleep - got to be too much to bear. Fatigue is my main problem now. I sleep way better off of SSRI's. Next is to wean down the coffee. I'm 55 years old and starting to have some health problems and want to get a baseline to figure out what the cause of the fatigue is. (I also did shift work for decades, so that burned me out too.) I am having some recurrence of the depression, but there are many losses for me to deal with in my life and I'm in counseling and doing meditation to cope.

Specifically, your suggestion of the spreadsheet seems brilliant! There are so many things related to mood, that I know it will help me to separate out the fatigue and mood stuff. I have a new psychiatrist, so this might help communicate things to him.

Thanks again,

Seapup

Edited by Seapup

13 hours ago, JD4010 said:

I want to start the long, slow taper as well...in case I get canned at work or the entire US economy goes belly up (looking more likely as time goes by).

I'll be interested in hearing your experiences. I'm so ready to finish mine (lamictal) - just a few more months to go. And I agree about the economy - bull markets don't last forever. I keep trying t tell myself that the current political climate will change, but we're going to be suffering consequences of the last couple of years for a very long time I fear. 

1 hour ago, uncertain1 said:

I'll be interested in hearing your experiences. I'm so ready to finish mine (lamictal) - just a few more months to go. And I agree about the economy - bull markets don't last forever. I keep trying t tell myself that the current political climate will change, but we're going to be suffering consequences of the last couple of years for a very long time I fear. 

I gotta work up the courage to do it. I feel like I'm on very thin ice the way it is.

I've been following financial blogs and I'm pretty well convinced that we are going to be "third-worlded" soon. The wealthy will simply rip up the carpet and the vast majority of humanity will be left stranded. I think it's been their plan all along.

Hi all, 

Hiya Seapup 😁.  

Having not dropped in on forum for a few years, it was fun to drop in and see that the details in my post of my journey 9 years ago was still helpful.

We sound very similar in terms of life experience and where we are at, including the shift work, life events, meditation and coffee!  

Over the 9 years I have been on and off citalopram dependent on what has been happening around me (and off coffee for much briefer periods!). 

At the beginning of this year, off citalopram,  multiple life and work stress situations came together which culminated one night shift with a fairly strong panic/anxiety attack in May after which I left work. We are in a fortunate position where this month I am resigning from the job on medical grounds.   This was the biggest impact hit on me yet .  Hopped on to both Citalopram and Valium intermittently.  The relatively regular valium pretty much a first for me.  My capacity for doing anything, was very low and I had low level panic/anxiety attacks in relatively minor situations.  The citalopram, as always for me, was effective at reducing the depression, but came with the usual side effects and breakthrough depression and low mood and did not do much for capacity or anxiety.  Valium was good for when the fibromyalgia flared or anxiety threatened.  My concern was that I was still not coping sufficiently despite all the other life situations going well and years of accumulating self-help strategies.  So if something external did actually go wrong, I had no additional options or strategies.

Where to from there? Psychology student daughter suggested I might have bipolar 2 instead of depression.  Interesting thought, and certainly some life evidence to support it.  I knew I didn't have the really high euphoria of Bipolar 1 but had never considered Bipolar 2.  The other change to my mood was that it was now primarily anxiety related rather than depression, which was a change.  So, referral to Pdoc to discuss.  He decided I didn't have Bipolar 2 but changed the med from Citalopram to Venlafaxine 11 days ago.  An easy transition and I am enjoying the difference to my mood.    At the moment I describe the difference in my mood as more dense, smooth, deep, soothing calm and not as sharp as on citalopram.   The description really does not make much sense, but it is how it feels.  No depression and very rare spikes of anxiety which are easily dismissed.  So, for now, all is excellent. Quite a turn around in 4 weeks, so a good start. 

Oh, something else that made quite a difference, prior to the Pdoc and Venlafaxine, was starting a low carbohydrate diet (Keto) which, to my mind and mood, stopped the low, down, tired, flat feeling I often had after eating.  Now, after eating low carb food, my energy levels and mood remain stable.  Pdoc said there was evidence to suggest that was actually a thing probably related to insulin spikes, glucose and serotonin I would think. 

What I have learnt:

It is time to reduce the underlying stressors where I can.  I have allowed situations where the stress is so much, and the impact so high, that I have been 'forced' to tell others they need to help me.  Asking for help is not something I historically do and I tended to do everything for everyone despite a negative impact on me.  Current mantras : 'I can be well and ask for help' and 'It is their journey'.   

And our journey!

Wishing everyone well 

Herald

Edited by Herald