Sign in to follow this  
James23

Deep Brain Stimulation (dbs) - Within 5 Years!

Some of you may be familiar with DBS. It is still currently in the trial stages and it involves brain surgery where 2 probes are inserted into the part of the brain that deals with motivation / reward and is induced wth 4V electricity.

It has been limited to severe, chronic, refractory-type cases so far and has had spectacular results. In 60% of cases, it has lifted these long-time sufferers right out of depression.

People who have tried this therapy have labelled it a miracle treatment, spectacular and described it as if the concrete was being taken out of their head. Keeping in mind these comments come from people who have had 70+ ECT sessions and tried countless drugs.

I e-mailed 2 leading neurologists and they state if the current clinical trials are as successful, then this will be available clinically to those that need it and should be available WITHIN 5 years.

I e-mailed 2 leading neurologists and they state if the current clinical trials are as successful, then this will be available clinically to those that need it and should be available WITHIN 5 years.

5 years!! Wow they don't hang around lol. Actually I'm kinda be ironic.

I'm suprised that its taking that long. I can understand they need to be sure about things but its hard to imagine this being that dangerous. I guess they won't ultimately know about any long term side effects of this treatment for some years if there are any. Still 5 years that seems a crazy amount of time. A few years maybe but why so long!!??

Actually, it used to take the FDA five or more years to make drug approvals, so I don't find this "five" year clinical trial so alarming. After all, this is an invasive procedure that as of yet seems to be in "trial" for everything that it's being tested for. Invasive therapy is quite a bit different than medication therapy and requires much more clinical data to support it as "warranted" or "effective". I know it seems like a long time, but just look at what the truly lobotomy debacle created in the world of mental health. Would you want a repeat of that mess?

HANG IN THERE!

Warmest Regards,

Deepster

Fair point. Hopefully in 5 years I won't need to think about this lol. Still its good that things are moving on that's for sure ... its been a long time coming!!