Sign in to follow this  
Autumn

Dissociation

Hi, I struggle with dissociation and am not doing very well at the moment. I feel like I'm really stuck, like I've completely shut down and I can't get myself going again. I've had this before but feel like it's getting worse. I'm very apathetic. Sometimes I'll just sit and stare and talking is hard because I feel like my mind goes blank and I've got nothing to say. Hence, therapy is a struggle and I'm not sure whether I should continue or not.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar problems and what kind of treatment you're getting (therapy, meds,...?)

Thanks,

Autumn

Hi, I struggle with dissociation and am not doing very well at the moment. I feel like I'm really stuck, like I've completely shut down and I can't get myself going again. I've had this before but feel like it's getting worse. I'm very apathetic. Sometimes I'll just sit and stare and talking is hard because I feel like my mind goes blank and I've got nothing to say. Hence, therapy is a struggle and I'm not sure whether I should continue or not.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar problems and what kind of treatment you're getting (therapy, meds,...?)

Thanks,

Autumn

Hi Autumn, I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with disassociation....I experienced a severe bout of that a few years back (and i still have mini reoccurances from time to time) Its pretty distressing stuff... the first couple days I thought 'what the heck is going on here, i feel so weird'...then when it didn't go away, I started to freak out, it felt like I was in a dream and couldn't wake up. I asked to have my psych meds changed (went from prozac to celexa).. though, in hindsight it probably had nothing to do with the prozac, as i had been on it for years without problem. I also got refered for Cognitive Analytical Therapy(took months before that even started). To be honest, Im not sure if either of those two things made much difference!(i did follow through with the therapy though) What I can say, is that it did eventually reduce slowly, over the course of approximately 8-9months.... which seemed like forever.

I have read that in extreme cases, a small dose of an anti-psychotic can help alleviate symptoms, I don't know how true that is..... they were reluctant to try me on any..( though i don't know why...i nearly lost my job at the time, because apparently i looked 'stoned' all the time...you know its got to be quite serious when other people can notice!....not to mention that type of unwanted attention just skyrocketed the inital anxiety)

I guess something that might have helped, is that I made a real effort not to self-monitor all the strange perceptions..

I don't know if any of this sounds familar, or if it helps...but i thought i would share, just incase it did..

best wishes, and i hope you feel better soon

L.E.