Sign in to follow this  
Forum Admin

Holiday's Can Be A Stressful Time..

While the holidays can be a stressful time for anyone, they can be particularly difficult for people living with mental illness as the season can amplify a range of emotions and stresses. Many people can find family gatherings, parties and other social events overwhelming while others feel deep sadness or loneliness during the holidays following the loss of a loved one, divorce or separation from family and friends.

DF has found that 40 percent of people living with depression have used prayer or spiritual practices to manage their illness and nearly 47 percent of those respondents report that prayer and spiritual practices have been extremely or quite a bit helpful.

We at Depression Forums wish you this holiday season love, hope and faith.

Here are some articles below that may be helpful to download:

holidays.pdf

Thanks for your post and the information attached.

Just wondering if there is somewhere within this / these Forums that holiday ideas can be discussed and thrown around?

I'm a separated mother of three childen (the eldest being 8yrs old) and my closest family (of origin) member lives 4 hours away. I really want to make Christmas a special time to remember for my children rather than the stress filled times I grew up with - however funds are limited, so whatever I do needs to be on somewhat of a budget. Last year I was given a box of "throw out" stuff by an old neighbour and I managed to divvy it up to create little gifts and activities for the "12 Days of Christmas" and my eldest son has indicated that he'd like to do something like this again... I'm thinking of some baking and making decorations out of pine cones and Xmas Coloured patty cake liners but could do with some other ideas?

I've long found this time of year to be particularily stressful as I ponder what to do on the actual DAY of Xmas. Some of my best Christmases have been spent with other BIG families that get along super well and have lots of fun together (unlike how I remember Xmas as I was growing up... tense, boring, formal, guarded and anxiety ridden). I'd love to create that kind of environment for my family but as there are only the 4 of us, it's tricky. I've been invited to spend Xmas day with some lovely friends and their family BUT, they are SO much more financially free than I am that it makes my children and I feel a little awkward about the "gifts" side of things - plus there is the feeling of pressure to purchase additional gifts "for the kids" which just aren't in my budget right now. Any suggestions or suggestions of where I can get some ideas to help create times of fond memories rather than negative emotions?

:welcomeani:

Hi GCT

Welcome to DF. And thanks for your post. Yes, trying to figure out Christmas in terms of family gatherings and family traditions can be a challenge. You clearly have given it good thought. I like your ideas and thing they sound like fun (and offered with love). Cooking in general and providing special food is a super way to make Christmas fun. And can be less expensive than many gifts.

Anyway, thanks for your post.

tim

My family is wrapping presents, having a good time but last night my son calls me asking to pick him up, he's feeling lonely without his kids so he's home for now until the drugs call him back. This is my little boy who's life has gone very wrong, I don't where I failed him. We've tried so hard to get our grandkids back but even with the lawyers helping they aren't home, yet. So yeah holidays can be very stressful but we must keep hope in our hearts.

Yes it can, even Easter Sunday,like it was today. I was far too obsessed with some problems I've been and am still having at home, to have been any fun today, anyway, but it still would have helped my mood if I could have found courage anyway, to at least have gone for a walk. My family is just far too dysfunctional and aloof to care to even ask how I'm doing, so it's me on the island with my cat..sigh..

The holidays have always been a very stressful time for me, but this year they are even worse than usual. I've always been bad October-December, and this time I am living at home, my insurance is about to change which means all new doctors, which I don't want. I'm in the middle of the whole applying for disability thing where I have a lawyer, but I am still waiting on a date, and I have gastroparesis, which is severe, where right now I can't eat any food, so I am having to live on nutritional drinks as a source of food. Even the thought of food makes me sick. I mean, I try to be around people when they are eating if I can help it so I can still socialize unless it gets so bad that I can't even smell food without getting sick. So I am extremely stressed at the moment. And somehow I don't think it will change until after Christmas, when all the eating part is over. :(

I love time on holidays. I get to reflect on the new year, and think about what i want to do next year that didnt get to finish this year. I have my own resolutions too. Holidays are awesome.