Pure "o" - Just Prescribed Anafranil

So my GP has just advised me to stop following the advice of my PDoc as things haven't been going well with the Lexapro and Risperidone he's prescribed.

She (my GP) wants me to continue with the Lexapro and add 25mg of Anafranil at night - give things a week or so and if I tolerate it well I'm to come off the lexapro slowly and increase the Anafranil.

I read mixed reviews of this stuff. Some people LOVE it, others find the side effects too harsh. My Pharmacist told me that its old-school, and is making a come-back as its very effective if you can get through the side effects.

I have pure - O - no compulsions.

Anyone have any experience?

One cool thing is that several people who have posted on the forums about it seem to have disappeared - stating that they don't feel a need to visit the DF forums anymore. Imagine that!?!?

Nicko

im not on anafranil, but from my research it seems as though alot of people who dont respond to SSRIs tend to do fairly well with anafranil, so long as they can put up with the side effects. some people have less side effects on the anafranil than on SSRIs...weird. personally im on lexapro, took 10mg for 4 weeks, did nothing, now on 20mg for 3 weeks and finally feeling good. i feel relief from depression MDD, GAD, but not enough on the pure O OCD. hopefully this will change soon. if not i might try anafranil. all the best!

im not on anafranil, but from my research it seems as though alot of people who dont respond to SSRIs tend to do fairly well with anafranil, so long as they can put up with the side effects. some people have less side effects on the anafranil than on SSRIs...weird. personally im on lexapro, took 10mg for 4 weeks, did nothing, now on 20mg for 3 weeks and finally feeling good. i feel relief from depression MDD, GAD, but not enough on the pure O OCD. hopefully this will change soon. if not i might try anafranil. all the best!

Thanks.

Lexapro helped me with my Depression caused by GAD and OCD. My GAD and Depresssion were practically nullified with Lexapro, but it didn't do much for my OCD. Basically, I became a happy obsessive! I went up to 30mg and its been increasing my OCD, so I've added risperidone - .25mg and it hasn't helped much. My GP thinks Anafranil might just do the trick...I'll be starting after Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...
i guess we are in a similar boat then. may i ask, what type of pure o do you have? cheers

My Pure -o is mostly to do with harm/self harm. Lately, I've been mostly obsessing about OCD..."Obsessing about Obsessing"! So I've been on anafranil for 6 days. Didn't feel anything at first. Now I feel some increased anxiety. Its kind of uncomfortable. Felt the same way on Lexapro when I first took it. It eventually subsided. Hope the same is true for the anafranil.

Cheers.

i guess we are in a similar boat then. may i ask, what type of pure o do you have? cheers

My Pure -o is mostly to do with harm/self harm. Lately, I've been mostly obsessing about OCD..."Obsessing about Obsessing"! So I've been on anafranil for 6 days. Didn't feel anything at first. Now I feel some increased anxiety. Its kind of uncomfortable. Felt the same way on Lexapro when I first took it. It eventually subsided. Hope the same is true for the anafranil.

Cheers.

obsessing about obsessing..i know this one too well. hope anafranil is the med for you. for me iv been on lexapro 20mg for about 2 months (10mg for 1 month before that) and im feeling better than iv felt in ages. its finally hitting my pure o ocd and althought im still not 100% and at times have racy obsessive thoughts, i dont feel depressed or anxious. im back at work, catching up with mates, exercising daily and able to enjoy simple things like tv and music again. lexapro has helped me tremendously. hope you achieve similar results soon. all the best and keep us updated

Anafranil really helped my depression and anxiety and OCD symptoms. However, I recently stopped taking it because I gained 25-pounds in 8-weeks and suffered from ED.

full blown ED (not able to maintain erection) or delayed ejaculation?

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Good Morning Everyone!

I was taking 50mg of Anafranil for 19 years. That's right 19 years. Mainly for OCD. It changed my life and allowed me to live. Not wanting to take meds forever, I, along with my Family doc, weened off of it and for 2 months, all was well. Recently got separated and my 2 young boys are with me. At 51, this was too much and I needed back on medication. Now taking 10mg of Lexapro. Just started this week and so far, so good. Only 3 days and I am already noticing a much calmer me. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown.

About Anafranil. The biggest side effect I had was delayed e. Other than that, nothing worth mentioning. I just wanted a newer, more modern med. Hopefully Lex will continue to help.

Supposedly, Anafranil is still the drug of choice for OCD. It def. helped mine. Healthy wishes to all.

Good Morning Everyone!

I was taking 50mg of Anafranil for 19 years. That's right 19 years. Mainly for OCD. It changed my life and allowed me to live. Not wanting to take meds forever, I, along with my Family doc, weened off of it and for 2 months, all was well. Recently got separated and my 2 young boys are with me. At 51, this was too much and I needed back on medication. Now taking 10mg of Lexapro. Just started this week and so far, so good. Only 3 days and I am already noticing a much calmer me. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown.

About Anafranil. The biggest side effect I had was delayed e. Other than that, nothing worth mentioning. I just wanted a newer, more modern med. Hopefully Lex will continue to help.

Supposedly, Anafranil is still the drug of choice for OCD. It def. helped mine. Healthy wishes to all.

Good luck with Lexapro!

Good Morning Everyone!

Good luck with Lexapro!

Thank You!