My First Zoloft Experience (Documented)

Guest casesensative

Guest casesensative

Well about a year ago i was on lexapro for about a year and a half, it left a lot to be desired but it did kick the panic attacks and ease the anxiety somewhat. Its been about a year and lately my anxiety and mild depression have been increasing, so i have decided to try Zoloft. Today was my first dose and from here on out i will document my experience with it. I am taking 12.5mg to begin with for the first 4 days then bumping up to 25mg.

-Anyone can feel free to post at anytime throughout my log.

Day 1 (12.5mg) [3:00pm]

Upon initial taking it i had the usual anxiety about taking medicines. No real feeling from the medicine though except at one point i felt as if i was going to fall asleep unwillingly and then i had a little bit of a head rush and it was over.

[6:25pm]

Now feeling slightly sedated and have been grinding my jaw alot which i do occassionally, and i am quite cold at 70 degrees F in the house.

[9:00m]

It seems as if overall it may have increased my anxiety a tad for today, or since my anxiety has been increasingly worse as of lately the day mightve been the same either way. Also i worked myself up over taking it for soooo long that probably has alot to do with it as well. Oh well, going to bed around 11pm and well see how i feel tomorrow.

[11:00pm]

Finally checked on the chills ive been having and i have a small fever of 99.8 degrees. Gonna call the doc in the morning and tell him about it before i take any more. Gonna go to bed and keep some IBprofen beside me just incase it increases in the night.

Edited by casesensative

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cs - congrats on getting over the hurdle of taking your first dose! I'd say, for now, bundle up and just take good care of yourself, while the med has a chance to kick in. I'm looking forward to reading about your zoloft journey.

Karen

Guest casesensative

Day 2 [10:22am]:

Well here i am at 10:22am, tired as hell because i didnt get any sleep last night. Fever has been fluctuating all night and still is but seems to be calming down.

Went to sleep at 12:30am, rolled from side to side until 4am. Got up and called my mom. Checked my temp - 97.0 degrees. Was cold and shaking. After about 30 minutes it subsided some then i went and laid back down. May have fallen asleep, cant really be sure, but if i did it was only for an hour or two and was very light. At 9am my girlfriend got up, and i immediately noticed, so it may have been a very light sleep or just wasnt asleep. Called the doctors and left them messages so they can call me back. Been just layin around watching television. Havent eaten anything yet, been drinking some water. Should probably eat some.

Hate to cut this log so short but that will probably be the first and last time i take Zoloft.

That was only on 12.5mgs (which with the way i cut it was probably more like 10mgs). So things could have been alot worse.

Day 2 [10:22am]:

Well here i am at 10:22am, tired as hell because i didnt get any sleep last night. Fever has been fluctuating all night and still is but seems to be calming down.

Went to sleep at 12:30am, rolled from side to side until 4am. Got up and called my mom. Checked my temp - 97.0 degrees. Was cold and shaking. After about 30 minutes it subsided some then i went and laid back down. May have fallen asleep, cant really be sure, but if i did it was only for an hour or two and was very light. At 9am my girlfriend got up, and i immediately noticed, so it may have been a very light sleep or just wasnt asleep. Called the doctors and left them messages so they can call me back. Been just layin around watching television. Havent eaten anything yet, been drinking some water. Should probably eat some.

Hate to cut this log so short but that will probably be the first and last time i take Zoloft.

That was only on 12.5mgs (which with the way i cut it was probably more like 10mgs). So things could have been alot worse.

You may wish to follow up with your doctor? It may not have actually been the ZOLOFT. I remember the VERY first time I was put on ZOLOFT and at that time also I was sick. I too thought it was due to the ZOLOFT and wasn't willing at first to go any further with it. Only to find it was another under lying problem. Also at times one needs to proceed with caution when you are given a immediate change in meds. One does not have time to clear your system before the other and when they combine, this could lead to various problems from hallucinations, mood swings and more. It would be better to follow up with your doctor and I also would ask the pharmacists! ZOLOFT is wonderful for anxiety once you have found the dosage that works for you! Let us know how you make out!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest casesensative
I wouldn't give up yet! A lot of the time these meds make us feel rather wierd for the first couple of days, a week, or so. But once they are gone, you may feel alot better! I'd give it some more time!

Well i stopped taking it because i was in the last week of school and didnt have time to deal with any side effects, i was just trying to graduate, so now that i have graduated i am going to give it another try.

I was wondering if you thought it was ok that i start at 12.5mgs and up to 25mg. I was prescribed 50mg and was to start 25mg and go to 50mg, but i just dont feel i need that much. I was only on 10mg of Lexapro and it did what it was supposed to. I just think that 50mg is gonna be too much and make me feel more out of it instead of being useful. So i want to start 12.5, then up to 25, and THEN if i need it, go 50mg.

Ive talked to people before that have done this and it worked good for them, what do you think?

Also i have a feeling it will affect my sleep as it did the first time, does anyone have any tricks to help get to sleep?

I refuse to take sleeping pills.

Sleep is the closest thing in this life to death, and if im going to sleep, its gonna be by my own free will.

But if anyone has any tricks that help them, that would be great.

Without sleep im a raving lunatic and i feel uber craptacular if i dont get my sleep.

Anyways, will probably start again tomorrow and will document this once again.

Edited by casesensative

I recently started takeing Zoloft myself. I started with 25mg for a week the first night i tok it it made me feel a little *tingly " but not all that unpleasent i slept about th esame as normal. The next morning however i was a little groggy and yawing like crazy but didnt feel all that tired. I took it again the next night slept better then normal but didnt feel as tired and yawny in the morning and it ahs lessened every day since . I have now started on the 50mg and the side effects havent came back noticeably. By far this is the best AD I have tried yet. So give it a couple days and you should be doing better .

I am not sure if I understand you properly, casesensitive. Are you saying that previously you were taking 10mg of lexapro, and now your doc wants to start you with 25mg zoloft with the plan to increase to 50mg?

If that is the case, yes, what the doctor is saying makes sense. You need to understand that lexapro and zoloft don't translate the same as far as milligrams. A typical dose of lexapro is probably between 10 and 20mg; a typical dose of zoloft is probably between 50 and 100mg.

The "mg" after the dosage amount can be very different for each different med. That does not mean that 50mg of zoloft is 5 times as much AD as 10mg of lexapro. It would be more accurate to say that 50mg of zoloft is comparable to 10mg of lexapro, although they are two different medications.

I hope that makes some kind of sense!

As far as starting out more slowly than your doctor recommended, generally that is fine. Often folks have fewer side effect problems if they start and/or stop their ADs very slowly. However, keep in mind that you will likely not get the full relief as quickly, either. In any case, please let your doctor know how you plan to do this.

Keep in touch; I'm hoping the AD goes well for you this time!

Karen

Guest casesensative

Ok here we go again:

DAY 1 (11:am)

- Took my first dose of 12.5 mg.

(3:26pm)

- Havent really felt anything, maybe a tiny tiny bit of a headache, also some very mildly increased anxiety but its probably more created by me and knowing that i took a pill than the actual med itself. So far so good. I have a feeling i wont be having very many side effects starting slowly like this, and im in such a relaxed atmosphere i m not in too much of a rush for instant relief anyways.

* Went to bed at around 1am, fell asleep with no problem, only woke up once during the night at 5am, and fell back asleep with relative ease. Got my full 8 hours of sleep.

Edited by casesensative

DAY 2 (12:20pm)

- Took my dose at 11am again. Feel nothing different.

With Zoloft it appears it slowly and calmly builds in your system.........

I found when I initially started taking ZOLOFT maybe alittle stomach upset but as the med kicked in it seemed I started making it through the days without the severe anxiety, chronic crying and depression. I also found myself to be more comfortable in social surroundings. Actually reached a point where I needed to watch myself....I was becoming more assertive. LOL Of course that is a good thing but also there were times where my comebacks were too quick. That is when I finally realized Zoloft was working for me! ( of all things !) Maybe you have not realized yet that the Zoloft is starting to slowly work? Not all meds are going to make you feel as though you just dived into something head first. I have tried AD's in the past that did......along with flu like feelings. After 7- 10 days you may begin to pay attention to any benefits Zoloft has for you. Of course it may take 6-8 weeks or so before it has completely build in your system. Maybe your doctor will keep you at the mg's you are on now or raise them until you have reached a comfortable level that works for you. Here's hoping it works for you!

Guest casesensative

Well i had some light diahrea today but nothing really bad.

I also noticed the past 2 days that on my right side, right below the ribcage, its sore when i poke or prod in that area.

It feels like when you have a really sore muscle from working out or something. (havent done any working out)

Dunno if that has anything to do with the medicine but thought i would mention it.

Also i slept fine last night, only woke up once during the night and fell back asleep with relative ease.

Guest casesensative

DAY 3 (9:30pm)

Took my dose at 11am as usual.

Seem to have maybe some problems with memory - like i forgot to shut my door, and give someone their car keys back after using it. Hopefully that will pass.

Also did alot of jaw grinding and teeth grinding today.

Ill give more of an update tomorrow, im tired from fishing all day.

caught about 10 bass and a brim that i caught on my bass lure. =)

Guest casesensative

DAY 4 (4:17pm)

- Took my dose of 12.5mg this morning at 11am, tomorrow i up it to 25mg where im going to stay unless later i decide it needs to be upped.

- Just been sitting around the house so i dont feel any anxiety. Been sleeping well.

- Is it just me or do the days seem really long for some reason?

Today everythings felt kinda boring and the day seems really long. Yesterday seemed really long and drawn out too.

Edited by casesensative

Guest casesensative

DAY 5 (1:30pm)

-Took my dose at 11am, today i went up to 25MG, so maybe ill see somethin happenin soon? Really dont feel anything different yet.

Guest casesensative

DAY 6 (4:30pm)

-took 25MG at 11am.

-still not seeing any benefits, but its only day 2 on 25MG, my anxiety seems to be amped up a little bit, so im mostly just staying inside the house all day, as i get anxious just leaving it sometimes. I feel like i should feel bad about it, like i should be going out to do something. Maybe if i got some exercise it would lessen some for the time being, dunno. Got a lot of work to do at the computer anyways.

Guest casesensative

I swear i may be going crazy, but every now and then for the past few days i smell ***. Seriously, its like someone rubbed some s*** on my upper lip and every now and then i smell it, and i promise its not me, as i do bathe regularly, lol.

***?

Sorry, cs, I have never heard of that side effect. But it is good that someone (Green) got a laugh out of it, at least!

Who knows what's going on? I know I've had times when I seem to notice some unusual odor. Not necessarily the same one you are smelling, but something odd, and I seem to keep noticing the smell for a while. I have a feeling that is something akin to a mental illness (thought very minor); some psychoses have auditory hallucinations involved. However, my guess is that some of us are just very sensitive, and we happen to notice some odor and then keep noticing it for a while. In my case, the couple of times I remember this happening, I've just forgotten about it and in a couple of days I don't notice it anymore.

I really doubt that this is a side effect of your new med; more likely it has to do with your sensitivity. And maybe also the fact that you are just being very aware of all sensations right now, as you are alertly watching for med adjustment results.

Hopefully this will go away real soon!!

Guest casesensative

DAY 7 (12:30pm)

-25MG at 11am. Just another day...

(1:47pm)

- Woo! just had some pretty sick diahrea, but thats aight.

Edited by casesensative

Keep in mind, too, it's only day 7. Your next coming week will put you at the 2 week mark. That's good!

Only thing I'd say is that your dosage seems a bit low. I understand the "creeping up" philosophy, but I know that 50mg is also a good starting point and my mother and sister both do well at 150mg. My sister says she can do well at 100mg, too, but that she's more protected from *any* down days throughout a span of time when she's on 150mg, so she just stays there.

I'd assume you'll be going up a bit soon, but obviously that's up to your pdoc.

I think this thread is good. Hopefully others can follow it and feel good about reading thru your journey as they come up behind you wondering what to expect!!!

Prayers & thoughts ~Randy

CS - I know that sometimes diarreah (sp?) and minor stomach upset are fairly common side effects of starting up (or ramping up, in your case) zoloft. That should go away soon. Maybe it is a sign that something is actually working, now that your dose is a bit higher! ;)

Karen (ados, currently on as admin)

Guest casesensative

DAY 8 (7:31pm)

-Took 25MG at 11am.

-Dunno if it was the initial side effects wearing off, or maybe its doing something, or what, but i felt good today and had a really good time out at our pond fishing.

Edited by casesensative