Celebrity Obsession - Help or Support

Hi everyone! I haven't been here in ages. I haven't gotten notifications in a while so I have no idea what's going on here.

Here's a riddle: How does a celebrity ensure that fans won't be stalking them? Change your look drastically. That's exactly what Steven did recently. SumBiotch actually shaved his head! I LOVED him with long hair, which I now know were mostly extensions! I mean, he feels better about it, so I respect that, but still...WHY?!

I'm still writing my erotic fanfiction featuring Constantine and posting it on one of my blogs. (I also have one fic about Steven there, too.) I also write several other fics, including a series that I've been working on for over 2 years now. All my fics are online, but since we can't share links...how do I share them with you guys?

TTYL!

Dropping by to say I still live and hoping to see familiar and new faces. Not sure anyone remembers me but it's been a long time!
About my love... yeah I'm just calling him love of my life right now because I feel like it
I still love him so much. So much! And I still hate it so much!  I still want to cry when I think about it and sometimes I do. He's currently on the cover of something I keep running into all the time. I refuse to buy one just for that! I have to stop myself from squeeing (Eeeee he's perfect asdfkl) and fangirling when I spot it. And if anyone remembers what he does and watches it, it's now completely obvious who he is. (But if someone does know please don't tell others xD)

I'm taking more meds than last time I dropped by, but as long as I don't think about my life.... how it's not going anywhere fast enough, how far from him I am, how lonely and alone I am, it's.... manageable. I still want all guys to look like him lol. I still seek his face in others, in vain.  Not just that, every part of his body too, his voice, his movements.
I heard some exciting stuff about his current work that I would REALLY LOVE TO WATCH AND FANGIRL OMG, but I can't. I can't like an addict has to stay away. He ruined the show for me lol :(
I still dream of going all the way to the US to try to meet him and still can't accept that he would probably barely notice me.

@fabulousrockstar sorry for not having a clue about anything, but isn't link sharing in private messages ok? Also uhh I'm curious about this fiction heheh. I'm sorry I don't have a clue about your CO though
But long hair all the way :)

I wanna make fanart of my bby but I guess it goes against my goal of one day forgetting what his face looks like

Oh wow. It’s been a month since I last looked, I have not forgotten you all.  I got to meet my celebrity recently and kinda learned this person knew just who I was, shocked the crap out of me. Not only that I got a huge very public acknowledgement, something I have never seen this person do before. I must admit that it feels really weird.  I’m still trying to make sense of it all as it was a huge shock but it felt nice all at the same time. For once I actually felt happy, really happy and enjoyed a moment free of depression. But on the other side of the coin, it went fast and it could be a few months before I get another chance at a meeting. 

Edited by Javaaddict

On 11/6/2017 at 8:36 AM, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

I actually have no idea who unless it's the actor who's currently in the news right now for an incident that allegedly happened decades ago. I'm oblivious to most things, so he's the only one who comes to mind at the moment.

I went out of town last week to see a former CO in concert. It actually wasn't too exciting for me, maybe because I've seen his band play several times before and I'm getting a bit bored. I didn't even go to their meet and greet this time like I usually do.

I also deleted my Instagram account yesterday. Basically, I'm grounding myself and putting myself on "CO time out" due to drama. So we'll see how long it lasts. lol

@imalittleteapot But there have been a couple/like rash of actors recently who've been named as behaving super inappropriately recently.  Some accused as behaving poorly years ago and it's just come out due to the (call it Harvey...).  I can't guess who this actor is that played evil roles and did something that was an EWW. ?  But yes that is a way to get over a CO!  lol.

@Javaaddict I'm so happy for you! That must have felt very surreal to have him acknowledge you and point you out. I remembered that your crush is a local and attainable person, but no matter what, it was special. Treasure that moment, girl!

@random alice I can't guess who your CO is. I don't usually look at celebrity magazines on the stands anyway, and when I do it's to laugh at the crazy or feel genuinely sorry for the way celebs are so made fun of (for example, unflattering pictures and headlines about their divorces.) I never, ever coveted the celebrity life. It saddens me that certain celebrities have actually DIED due to the emotional pressures on them. I would much rather be someone ordinary who can go out, be left alone, and not bothered. 

Also, I love what you said about 'I want to make fanart of my bby but it goes against my goal of forgetting what his face looks like.' I can relate! I keep writing fanfic stories about one of my bby's characters. While I'm writing it, I hear his voice in my mind and picture his adorable facial expressions.

@HopelessRomantic2011  and @HeatherG It WAS the actor in the news- but it was more than just that incident from decades ago. The guy is being named in tons of allegations. It's embarrassing to admit that my younger self liked him so much! He wasn't a CO, really, he was a fun crush in that I enjoyed his movies. My husband and I always went to see his movies while we were dating. We both liked crime-and-suspense genre films, and those were the movies he was best known for back then. 

The good news for me lately is that my current CO is also becoming a 'fun crush.' The other night, I did see his new movie with my husband! Even though while he was onscreen I was swooning on the inside, I loved the entire movie and became completely immersed in the story. My favorite character wasn't even the one my CO played, it was the main character! What was so positive and healing for me was that my hubby and I had a really nice, simple and fun date night together. We even talked about things in the movie's plot afterward. I felt "connected" with hubby in a way that sometimes we don't anymore, with his long work hours, the kids, daily life. We are still trying to work on making our marriage better, and I'm working on accepting my husband for the great guy he is, and not comparing him to movie stars. (and no he doesn't look like that disgraced actor anymore, because that guy is late-50's now anyway and my husband is cuter by FAR than him!)

After all, I know it would hurt ME if he compared ME to Jennifer Lawrence, or Daisy Ridley, or any other beautiful A-list actress these days! 

Edited by imalittleteapot

2 minutes ago, imalittleteapot said:

@Javaaddict I'm so happy for you! That must have felt very surreal to have him acknowledge you and point you out. I remembered that your crush is a local and attainable person, but no matter what, it was special. Treasure that moment, girl!

@random alice I can't guess who your CO is. I don't usually look at celebrity magazines on the stands anyway, and when I do it's to laugh at the crazy or feel genuinely sorry for the way celebs are so made fun of (for example, unflattering pictures and headlines about their divorces.) I never, ever coveted the celebrity life. It saddens me that certain celebrities have actually DIED due to the emotional pressures on them. I would much rather be someone ordinary who can go out, be left alone, and not bothered. 

Also, I love what you said about 'I want to make fanart of my bby but it goes against my goal of forgetting what his face looks like.' I can relate! I keep writing fanfic stories about one of my bby's characters. While I'm writing it, I hear his voice in my mind and picture his adorable facial expressions.

@HopelessRomantic2011  and @HeatherG It WAS the actor in the news- but it was more than just that incident from decades ago. The guy is being named in tons of allegations. It's embarrassing to admit that my younger self liked him so much! He wasn't a CO, really, he was a fun crush in that I enjoyed his movies. My husband and I always went to see his movies while we were dating. We both liked crime-and-suspense genre films, and those were the movies he was best known for back then. 

The good news for me lately is that my current CO is also becoming a 'fun crush.' The other night, I did see his new movie with my husband! Even though while he was onscreen I was swooning on the inside, I loved the entire movie and became completely immersed in the story. My favorite character wasn't even the one my CO played, it was the main character! What was so positive and healing for me was that my hubby and I had a really nice, simple and fun date night together. We even talked about things in the movie's plot afterward. I felt "connected" with hubby in a way that sometimes we don't anymore, with his long work hours, the kids, daily life. We are still trying to work on making our marriage better, and I'm working on accepting my husband for the great guy he is, and not comparing him to movie stars. (and no he doesn't look like that disgraced actor anymore, because that guy is late-50's now anyway and my husband is cuter by FAR than him!)

After all, I know it would hurt ME if he compared ME to Jennifer Lawrence, or Daisy Ridley, or any other beautiful A-list actress these days! 

Mind if I DM you?

@Javaaddict, glad to hear that your meeting went well!

@imalittleteapot, I don't think you need to feel embarrassed because you used to crush on him. We might *think* we know what a celebrity is like, but we never really know. Lots of things are coming out about lots of people right now, so he's not the only one who's going to have some disappointed fans. I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed the movie though!

4 hours ago, imalittleteapot said:

I plan to :). It’s my happy place.  This person is actually not local sadly. And this celeb is quite famous which is what makes it crazy!!  I mean this person has singled me out on more then one occasion but not to this scale. I’m staying humble and not making much of it. It’s just the person being nice to me if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, random alice said:

@imalittleteapot I can't stand celebrity magazines, they trigger the hell out of me... fortunately, he's on the cover of something else, but if I say what it'll be too obvious e_e''' sorry!  (I don't mind talking about it through messages)

It's okay, still don't know who your guy is! :) Those celebs can be hard to avoid.

I can relate to the magazine thing- Today I was hoping to go through a whole day of not seeing Adorable Guy, not looking at anything online associated with him, etc. And so this afternoon I went to the salon for a haircut, and started flipping through a newspaper and of COURSE I pick up the entertainment section, turn through it and there's a black and white pic of my Adorable Guy in a screenshot from the movie we just saw on Saturday. Cute as ever! <3 My heart hurts now. And someone retweeted his tweet  'I love you all' to those of us who saw it over the weekend. So he loves me as one of the bunch.

*silent scream*

And I like my haircut, it feels nice and soft and bouncy. :)

So my celebrity obsession is a bit different than most of what I've read on here. I'm more invested in a celebrity couple's personal life, especially their relationship. I religiously watch their interviews and videos together. I obsess over their pictures on social media. I just find myself so emotionally invested in their relationship to the point little things start to bother me as if it is my own life. Like I end up having these thoughts about the woman cheating on the man when she gets too flirtatious with other men. It's as if I'm so protective over their relationship I pray nothing ever goes wrong and the thought of them breaking up hurts me like it's my own damn relationship. Their lives/relationship is personally affecting mine even though I know that's insane because I don't know them. It started around 2 years ago, but it's been really bad this past year. I  also have almost a love/hate relationship with the woman. I'm in no way attracted to the man like that so it's not out of jealousy, I just really love him as a fan, so when again, she's flirtatious with other men on social media or in interviews, I get super protective over the man and start thinking the worst. Don't know if this made any sense but my goodness, what is wrong with me?! 

Btw I also have been struggling with Generalized Anxiety Disorder for the past 2-3 years, would this factor into my crazy thoughts and obsession?

Edited by Couchgirl

5 hours ago, Couchgirl said:

So my celebrity obsession is a bit different than most of what I've read on here. I'm more invested in a celebrity couple's personal life, especially their relationship. I religiously watch their interviews and videos together. I obsess over their pictures on social media. I just find myself so emotionally invested in their relationship to the point little things start to bother me as if it is my own life. Like I end up having these thoughts about the woman cheating on the man when she gets too flirtatious with other men. It's as if I'm so protective over their relationship I pray nothing ever goes wrong and the thought of them breaking up hurts me like it's my own damn relationship. Their lives/relationship is personally affecting mine even though I know that's insane because I don't know them. It started around 2 years ago, but it's been really bad this past year. I  also have almost a love/hate relationship with the woman. I'm in no way attracted to the man like that so it's not out of jealousy, I just really love him as a fan, so when again, she's flirtatious with other men on social media or in interviews, I get super protective over the man and start thinking the worst. Don't know if this made any sense but my goodness, what is wrong with me?! 

Btw I also have been struggling with Generalized Anxiety Disorder for the past 2-3 years, would this factor into my crazy thoughts and obsession?

Welcome! I've never been obsessed with a couple, but if it makes you feel any better, I don't think your obsession sounds crazier than anyone else's. :) Anxiety could be a part of it. I definitely suffer from anxiety issues also.

14 hours ago, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

Welcome! I've never been obsessed with a couple, but if it makes you feel any better, I don't think your obsession sounds crazier than anyone else's. :) Anxiety could be a part of it. I definitely suffer from anxiety issues also.

Thanks, that makes me feel less insane haha. It's weird cause I've been following this couple for around 2 years now but for some reason this obsession has gotten worse just this year. It didn't start out like this. I was like any other fan of theirs, but then I got super invested and attached almost like I knew them personally. Like I think to myself "why do you care so much? You don't know them, they don't affect your life personally stop acting like they do" but I still act like it affects me. I'm trying to distance myself from the whole thing because it affects my daily life, but its hard.

12 hours ago, Couchgirl said:

Thanks, that makes me feel less insane haha. It's weird cause I've been following this couple for around 2 years now but for some reason this obsession has gotten worse just this year. It didn't start out like this. I was like any other fan of theirs, but then I got super invested and attached almost like I knew them personally. Like I think to myself "why do you care so much? You don't know them, they don't affect your life personally stop acting like they do" but I still act like it affects me. I'm trying to distance myself from the whole thing because it affects my daily life, but its hard.

Welcome, @Couchgirl!

Sometimes feeling this way (being so over-invested in the lives of others, famous or not) can be a good thing, as the mark of a very compassionate person. You feel so deeply for them, and the things they feel you can't stop stressing over. Do you feel lonely in your real life sometimes, and feel like your real friends and family don't understand you, but this celebrity couple would? It may be that you have idealized this couple as being the perfect 'friends' or 'family' for you.

I've had a few obsessions where it wasn't so much a romantic crush on a man, but a feeling like I "cared too much" for people I never met, either male or female. In a few cases, it was historical figures- people in history who lived a century or more ago! I cried so many times about a famous family in history who were brutally assassinated, and bought every book written about them. I also cried when reading a book about the victims of the Titanic, and for a year or so I obsessed over an executed criminal from the 1800's (who was kind of a crush, too.)

I've known that feeling, too. I have real-life friends, but we aren't on the same wavelength. I can't share my obsessions with them, because if I were to talk about, say, my favorite movies and characters and the celebs who play them, and go on and on about them, they'd give me a weird look. So I know that when I'm with them, I have to be 'normal' and talk about 'normal mom things' like our kids, recipes, coffee, trail hiking, pets, and church and community. I'm split into a 'public self' who is normal, and a 'private self' who is able to indulge in quirky entertainment fandom things without anyone knowing. 

8 hours ago, imalittleteapot said:

Welcome, @Couchgirl!

Sometimes feeling this way (being so over-invested in the lives of others, famous or not) can be a good thing, as the mark of a very compassionate person. You feel so deeply for them, and the things they feel you can't stop stressing over. Do you feel lonely in your real life sometimes, and feel like your real friends and family don't understand you, but this celebrity couple would? It may be that you have idealized this couple as being the perfect 'friends' or 'family' for you.

I've had a few obsessions where it wasn't so much a romantic crush on a man, but a feeling like I "cared too much" for people I never met, either male or female. In a few cases, it was historical figures- people in history who lived a century or more ago! I cried so many times about a famous family in history who were brutally assassinated, and bought every book written about them. I also cried when reading a book about the victims of the Titanic, and for a year or so I obsessed over an executed criminal from the 1800's (who was kind of a crush, too.)

I've known that feeling, too. I have real-life friends, but we aren't on the same wavelength. I can't share my obsessions with them, because if I were to talk about, say, my favorite movies and characters and the celebs who play them, and go on and on about them, they'd give me a weird look. So I know that when I'm with them, I have to be 'normal' and talk about 'normal mom things' like our kids, recipes, coffee, trail hiking, pets, and church and community. I'm split into a 'public self' who is normal, and a 'private self' who is able to indulge in quirky entertainment fandom things without anyone knowing. 

Yeah at times I do feel lonely. I mean, ever since my anxiety has pretty much taken over my life, I never feel like seeing anyone or doing anything other than attend my classes (I'm in college) and go back home. I feel as if because I've become such a homebody, I invest my time in other people's lives because mine isn't so great at the moment. And I feel the same about my friends. I could never talk about this stuff with them. I also never see them anymore because we all attend different colleges so that hasn't helped much. I'm trying to distract myself a lot so I don't obsess so much, so I'm hoping I can continue finding healthy distractions from this.

On 11/15/2017 at 1:32 AM, Couchgirl said:

They're not crazy thoughts.  I have the same thing going on in my head, lol.  I too struggle with Anxiety, plus OCD and depression - and yeah I wish the obsessive thoughts would go away.  That's why I'm on this site.  Welcome!  Thank you for sharing. :)

So after seeing how many people are going trough the same thing it's a bit easier to write about it. I'm 17 years old and I am obsessed with a female singer (don't really want to tell which one). It's so bad that it's affecting my grades, my personal life and I know that it is not okay. I would give anything in my life just to be friends with her, but I know that it won't happen, and that's when I get all emotional. I would just like to chat with someone who is also going trough this. I'm still a bit embarrassed to write about it...

1 hour ago, S4T said:

So after seeing how many people are going trough the same thing it's a bit easier to write about it. I'm 17 years old and I am obsessed with a female singer (don't really want to tell which one). It's so bad that it's affecting my grades, my personal life and I know that it is not okay. I would give anything in my life just to be friends with her, but I know that it won't happen, and that's when I get all emotional. I would just like to chat with someone who is also going trough this. I'm still a bit embarrassed to write about it...

Hey there, sorry to hear that you’re having a tough time. Many of us here can relate to what you’re going through, so you don’t need to feel embarrassed. Is this the first obsession you’ve had like this? 

9 hours ago, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

Hey there, sorry to hear that you’re having a tough time. Many of us here can relate to what you’re going through, so you don’t need to feel embarrassed. Is this the first obsession you’ve had like this? 

Yeah, It's the first time this has happened to me. And I don't know what to do, to make it easier for myself. I just can't stop thinking of her.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:52 PM, S4T said:

Hey sorry I'm supposed to get notifications when posts are here - I didn't.  First don't feel so bad about how you're feeling, it'll only make the pain harder.  We're all going through similar feelings and experiences.  Not sure if you're logging back in here, I hope you do.  You'll then get a lot of feedback and suggestions that you'll find helpful, if only to remind you that you're not alone.

One, maybe talk to a therapist if this is affecting your everyday life.  Are you feeling depressed, maybe some feelings that are OCD related?  A therapist would definitely help with suggestions, advice, encouragement and support.

Please check back in with  us, update us, you can chat with us.  We're happy to listen and try to help as best we can :)   Take care S4T!! :hugs:

<whew>  I am very glad I found this thread because the last couple of days have been absolute hell for me.  I've never really been one for celebrity crushes, choosing more to keep my romances (and disappointments) set firmly in reality.  

Well, that's changed in a huge (and pretty alarming) way.  I stumbled across an actor in my Netflix travels and, OMG, I'm both ecstatic and sorry that I did.  Now, I'm spending way too much time looking for pics of him on Pintrest, watching and re-watching shows/movies he's in, and thinking about him in general.  It's not affecting my job but then I'm in a transition phase - getting ready to leave this one for another.  Right now, a lack of concentration would be understood by my co-workers and chalked up to these last few days.  Only I know how much space he's taking up in my head right now.  Probably not good to have him there when the new job starts.

My biggest issue is how it makes me feel - and I haven't seen many people mention this.  I don't want to say he's perfect because he's not...no one is.  But, wow, he sure seems close.  In that way, it makes me think about what a hot mess I am.  Frankly, I wouldn't want to meet the man, let alone be with him (no worries there..he's married anyway). Something has to change;  I can't afford to hate myself more than I already do over this.  (Oh yeah, yes, I'm in therapy for major depression...might have to bring this up at next session).  Anyway, an I wrong in thinking this is less of an obsession and just one more way my mind is working against me?  How do I get it to stop???

Welcome, @Kellybg1978 I'm glad you posted! :) 

No one is perfect, even celebrities. Especially celebrities! From what we have known and discovered, celebrities are at a very high risk for mental health issues and suicide. I often think about how my CO is dealing with this year, now that he's been catapulted to A-list stardom. He was only a regular on Broadway a few short years ago, which is still mildly famous, but not like he is now!  Even though I'm still shamefully jealous of his significant other, it must be affecting her too, the way he has to trot around the globe and attend film premiere events and fan conventions and TV guest appearances and all the craziness. It must cause stress and worry, because I'm sure that back when they first got together, they both never imagined this level of fame for him. I guess I try to use that thought to ease the jealousy a little bit??

A few days ago, I was watching YT collections of how paparazzi is so horrible to celebrities, and how they can't get a moment of peace. 

There was a big celebrity death in the news today. David Cassidy. RIP. I'm too young to remember his music and TV show, I was a baby and toddler back when 'The Partridge Family' was a thing. I know there's a woman who had severe CO for him because she wrote her own memoir book about it that I recently read on Google Books. I found it by Googling 'celebrity obsession.' She seems like a sweet lady who would benefit from a forum like this. My thoughts are with her today- she's probably very sad. 

@Kellybg1978 Also, you asked 'how to get it to stop?'

Wow...that is a good question. I wish we all knew. I'd have to say it's probably just TIME. It might take years. Time and extinction, where you wean yourself off seeing the celebrity's pics and content or go cold-turkey. I've had a completely CO-free week for the past 7 or so days where I've avoided everything about him. Still doesn't help completely because he's on my mind all the time. Even when I shop at my local retail store, I see merchandise with this animated character on it that he did the voice for. I was tempted to buy a Christmas ornament of this character. I might still, haha!